Three weeks in a Civic across Europe... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 1st July 2008, 12:33 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI
Three weeks in a Civic across Europe...

Just thought I’d write a small review of my latest experience with the Civic – travelling 5941 km. in three weeks across Europe!

I and my wife set out from Norway with the boot fully stuffed with luggage. During the trip we also bought tons of stuff so half of the trip the backseat was also heavy loaded. We drove mainly motorways between the cities we’d stay. Stops were in Celle (1 night) and the Mosel valley (4 nights) in Germany, Avallon (2 nights) and Les Arcs Provence (7 nights) in France, Lago del Orta (2 nights) in Italy, Heidenheim (4 nights) in Germany and finally Roedekro (1 night) in Denmark before travelling with the ferry back to Norway.

In total we spent 85 hours driving (!), average speed of 70 km/h. The fuel consumption for the whole trip (motorways mostly between 110-140 km/h), a bit of citydriving and other main roads + lots of mountains in Provence) were 6,6 l. pr. 100 km. That’s exactly what Honda states as average consumption for mixed driving as far as I know. I think it’s pretty good when the car was loaded heavy most of the time. Top speed was 184 km/h according to the GPS…

My experience:

No problem with the car. The seats (to us) are ok for longer periods. The cruise control really helps because you can take your foot of the pedal and reposition yourself in the seat. If not, I think would need more breaks… We stopped for about every 3 hour for a break. The car behaved well on motorways, I had a steady and secure feel when travelling at high speeds. The noise level is quite high I guess… The tyres/road noise and wind noise is quite bad. The engine noise is not bad even if the revs are constantly between 3000 – 4500 rpm. The car is fast/strong enough to easily follow the traffic, but you could wish for more torque when for example accelerating from 100 km/h in 5th and 6th gear again after slowing down to a truck passing another in a two line motorway. The Audis, BMW’s and Mercedes diesels almost pushed my ass several times… Guess I should have owned a diesel Civic.

On more twisty main roads, the Civic excels. Easy and fun to drive, especially in the mountains in the south of France. Also in the city, the car excels – except for parking in narrow streets where I could not se a damned thing because of the bad rear/side visibility… That was hell…

We saw several other Civics as well, two black ones in the Mosel valley, one black type R cruising with us for maybe one hour on the A7 south of Lyon. Even another Norwegian Civic at the main road between Frejus ans Ste-Maxim at the Riviera! On the A7 going from the south to north in Germany we were passed by a very fast Civic as well. We were going like 150 km/h and I believe the other must have gone like 200 km/h! That was north of Hamburg I think.

To sum up I’m very pleased with the car, and what a freedom it is to have a car available all the time. Of course you can rent, but thee is nothing like having your own car. And you can bring more stuff home than you can pack in your suitcase for the flight… I’ll definitely take another trip like that again.
Thanks to morten from:
R-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 1st July 2008, 13:00
R-2
geekess

Car: 2010 Mugen 200 Type R
Send a message via MSN to R-2
What a great trip you have had and thanks for the review. Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Pleased to hear your Civic is good to drive on such a long journey. Norway to the south of France and Italy - thats some trip!

I love driving in mainland Europe especially the Alps but have never taken my Civic. One day i will.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 1st July 2008, 14:14

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Awesome trip man, i would love to do this one day myself.
As far as lack in torque, just shift down to 3rd gear when doing 100 and you need to overtake someone. The car WILL go forward then .
How many miles did your car cover before going on this trip? The fuel consumption is very good i would say, at least if this is your actual consumption and not that stated by the computer (tends to underread).

grtz

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 1st July 2008, 14:42 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
Awesome trip man, i would love to do this one day myself.
As far as lack in torque, just shift down to 3rd gear when doing 100 and you need to overtake someone. The car WILL go forward then .
How many miles did your car cover before going on this trip? The fuel consumption is very good i would say, at least if this is your actual consumption and not that stated by the computer (tends to underread).

grtz
Yup, I shiftet down a couple of times and it helped a bit It's just that it's a bit stressful doing it all the time. Really jo-jo driving on a crowded motorway. My car had covered 9000 km before the trip. And the fuel consumption is according to the computer... Maybe I should do a proper test myself to see the actual numbers...
Thanks to morten from:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2008, 21:08
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Really good review and very informative, Thanks.

I like driving and I will be making a trip to Croatia in August and I am really looking forward to it.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page