Initial Impressions - 1.4 SE i-Shift - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th July 2008, 09:27 Thread Starter

Initial Impressions - 1.4 SE i-Shift

Had the car a couple of days now, thought I would share my thoughts.

First off, everyone loves the Galaxy Grey colour and I am suprised by the wheelcovers, they actually look ok in grey and wont show too much dirt.

The boot is vast, my wheelchair lays inside the boot with the seats in place and with both wheels on. My wheelchair handles do not fold so its quite a large chair and still fits, very pleased.

The i-Shift is proving to be a complete delight at the moment, its very smooth around town. I did think I thought I saw a brief '8' in the display but it runs fine. The only problem is the car is too relaxing to drive, I am enjoying it too much and going at a snails pace! The steering is much lighter than the old model Civic so I am just wafting along in a relaxed manner, sorry to all the people I am holding up!

The 1.4 engine has a suprising amount of get-up-and-go. From a standstill I am hitting 30mph in just a few seconds, and this with not flooring the throttle. Its a good job I have set the speed warnings for 30mph and 40mph as I can see myself going accidently over these limits.

I also am managing to get all six ECO lights on around town so hopefully fuel economy will be good.

Climate control is nice and cool and seems do switch on when I touch the fan button, getting used to the display for this although I do think it could be simpler.

Having a job getting my seat position correct, there is way too much lumbar support built into the seat for my liking, but I shall keep making small adjustments to get it right.

Headlights seem brighter than the previous model Civic which is nice, I have seen the little blue light inside too.

In conclusion I think that the new Civic is a big improvement and am enjoying it very much. If the rest of the three years I will have the car are anything like the first two days, I wont want to part with it ever. (Early days yet, I know)

Hope this hasn't bored you all too much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th July 2008, 10:50
Supporter

Thanks for your initial impressions and it sounds to me like you are getting hooked on your spaceship. It would be interesting to know how the fuel consumption works out as I know from 4 years experience with a Jazz how wonderfully economical that 1.4 engine is.
Best of luck with it and please keep us updated.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th July 2008, 11:02
Supporter

hi guys i have the 1.4 manual my mpgs is about 41. mpg around town and about 52 mpg on the motorway and im very happy with that

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th July 2008, 11:04
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo9017 View Post
hi guys i have the 1.4 manual my mpgs is about 41. mpg around town and about 52 mpg on the motorway and im very happy with that
Great, so who needs a Hybrid
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 31st July 2008, 07:19
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great Review!

Really glad to hear you are enjoying your car and the economy of it. Long may you enjoy it
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 1st August 2008, 11:37
Supporter

Car: 2016 PCX Cherry Red
Garage
Glad you are enjoying your car. Not long had an i-shift myself and have found it great. Sometimes it hangs a little in lower gears whilst in auto mode so I usually change up using the paddles and then let it change down itself when I slow down. The rest of the car is brill and a complete change from my old shape civic. Sounds like we both are going to love our cars!!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 22:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Update:- I have now driven in the pitch dark and have to say that the headlights are a massive improvement on the old model. They are much brighter and more focussed.

I've also managed to get my seat position right, I'm well chuffed as this normally takes me weeks to do when I change my car, so no more backache!

Loving the i-Shift, the changes are so smooth with the 1.4 engine, or though most people probably want more power, but the little 1.4 is not bad.

Am off on my hols next week so will report on how the car is after that as I will be doing around 500 - 600 miles.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 23:06
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
Update:- I have now driven in the pitch dark and have to say that the headlights are a massive improvement on the old model. They are much brighter and more focussed.

I've also managed to get my seat position right, I'm well chuffed as this normally takes me weeks to do when I change my car, so no more backache!

Loving the i-Shift, the changes are so smooth with the 1.4 engine, or though most people probably want more power, but the little 1.4 is not bad.

Am off on my hols next week so will report on how the car is after that as I will be doing around 500 - 600 miles.
Glad to hear your impressions are good, I can tell you from experience that they get better and better and even more enjoyable.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 8th August 2008, 07:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Another quick update:- Have driven the car up to the Peak District and its great. Have to use the kickdown alot with the hills!

Remote locking has twice failed to work, but can open with the key. I'm not bothered unless it packs up completely, will just get them to look at it when its serviced. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to fix it?

Got a few minor dash rattles, but again not too fussed even though I usually can't stand rattles. The car's all round brilliance makes up for it.

Certainly didn't need an estate car as the boot is huge, especially with the false floor, I am amazed at the amount of storage, its far more than the old model.

Everyone stares in amazement at the Civic, it really does stand out!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 8th August 2008, 07:59
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Interesting to read that the 1.4 is not the slouch I thought it might be. I'm seriously considering the Hybrid next which is a 1.4 and hopefully still has reasonable oomph.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 8th August 2008, 09:43
Bassetts Honda

Car: Honda CR-Z GT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Interesting to read that the 1.4 is not the slouch I thought it might be. I'm seriously considering the Hybrid next which is a 1.4 and hopefully still has reasonable oomph.
Hi Kremen

The 1.4 Hybrid is about 120bhp so they go really well. The I-shift brings the best out of the 1.4 i-DSI engine so they feel quicker than the manual at times

Nellz
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 8th August 2008, 12:20
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Hi

I've currently got an i-shift and it's partly that that is tempting me towards the Hybrid next time with it's CVT.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th August 2008, 16:37

Quote:
Another quick update:- Have driven the car up to the Peak District and its great. Have to use the kickdown alot with the hills!

Remote locking has twice failed to work, but can open with the key. I'm not bothered unless it packs up completely, will just get them to look at it when its serviced. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to fix it?

Got a few minor dash rattles, but again not too fussed even though I usually can't stand rattles. The car's all round brilliance makes up for it.

Certainly didn't need an estate car as the boot is huge, especially with the false floor, I am amazed at the amount of storage, its far more than the old model.

Everyone stares in amazement at the Civic, it really does stand out!
Great to here such good news about the Spaceship for a change.

I used to have the older model before Millie came along and that, compared to Millie, was pants!

EVERYTHING about my Millie is superior to the prv model.

Up the Spaceships!

"Proud father of a delinquent child!"
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th August 2008, 18:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yes, its a huge improvement on the old model and so much easier for me to drive with the lighter steering and i-Shift.

I hope Honda are still making it in three years time when I change my car again.
Thanks to Wheelchair from:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 13th August 2008, 14:15

[quote=Wheelchair;221863]Yes, its a huge improvement on the old model and so much easier for me to drive with the lighter steering and i-Shift.

I hope Honda are still making it in three years time when I change my car again.[/quote]

......in three years time?

......My Millie will just about be run in by then!

"Rehab is for quitters!"
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 13th August 2008, 14:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I have to change cars every three years as its on the Motability scheme. Its a very good scheme but I do wish you could keep hold of the car for 4 or 5 years if you wanted.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 13th August 2008, 16:14
Supporter

Quote:
I have to change cars every three years as its on the Motability scheme. Its a very good scheme but I do wish you could keep hold of the car for 4 or 5 years if you wanted.
Just think in 3 years time the latest version will be even more fabulous.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 13th August 2008, 16:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Trouble is when the model changes so does the advance payment. When I got my 2005 Civic it cost 650, a few months later the current model came out and cost 1792. Quite a jump! I paid 799 for my current car as the prices often go down as the car design is older (although its now 899).

I'm hoping the new Civic is out in early 2010 then I have around 12 months before I order one and hopefully the advance payment will be cheaper.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 14th August 2008, 17:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Update:- Now 950 miles in and still loving the drive and the i-Shift. Unfortunantly this morning the dashboard decided it was time for it to rattle very noisily. Will see how this goes over the next few days before deciding what to do about it.

I would say that if anyone was in the car at the time they would have not been at all impressed by the noise, the Civic I changed from rattled less and that was three years old when I changed it. Strangely I can remember one particular rattle in my previous car suddenly stopped after a year or so, maybe my new car rattles will too.

Hopefully it will be quieter the next time I use it!

It is a great car, it would be a shame if constant rattles ruined my experience of it to the point where I decide to change the car for something else.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 14th August 2008, 18:51

You can extend the Motability lease for upto 5 years if you wish,give them a call to confirm this but I know this to be correct.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page