Three Weeks & 1000 Later - 1.4 SE i-Shift - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 12:04 Thread Starter

Three Weeks & 1000 Later - 1.4 SE i-Shift

Hit the 1000miles today! Will try to be impartial, here are my thoughts...

Suspension:- Why do Honda persist with rock solid suspension? The Civic finds bumps on smooth roads, much more so than the last generation of Civic. This has a large knock on effect with regard to dash rattles, I don't think the build is at fault, its the HARD ride. Why Honda?

Stereo:- Bass sounds are quite poor from the standard speakers, again not as good as the previous model. The steering wheel controls are excellent however and the WMA playback is simplicity itself.

Steering Wheel:-
One of the best I've come accross, the remote controls work really well and the i-Shift paddles are very well placed. Its a nice wheel to hold, even without the leather trim.

i-Shift:- Absolutely loving it. Use it mainly in Auto with some paddle work as well. No problems with reverse or with the time the i-Shift makes up its mind to change gear. Its not caught me out yet, even at roundabouts its fine.

Storage:- Loads of it. You wont need an estate car when you've tried this, I can't believe how much fits in.

1.4:- Its not as slow as you think. I have had much larger engined cars in the past, and I don't find it too slow at all. Averaging 48.5 miles to the gallon so far, with plenty of town driving mixed in with longer runs.

Dashboard & Computer:-
Amazing, makes everything else on the market look dull. The computer is very informative and easy to use, again one of the best I've come accross. My dashboard has a few rattles, at the moment I am resisting letting the dealer tear it to pieces and have located what I think is the main trouble, where the dash plastic meets the window on the passenger side. I've wedged a couple of the dealers business cards in this gap and it seems to be better. Although I don't think it will stay quiet over bumps.

Remote Locking:-
Has failed to work twice. Not really that fussed unless it packs up completely. Can always use the key.

Paint:- What do Honda do? Cover the car in felt tip pen?!? I have a few stone chips and scratches on the bonnet already. Buck your ideas up Honda!

Overall:- A fantastic car and well worth purchasing. Everyone stares in amazement at the design and it feels very good to drive. I'm sure a Mk2 version would iron out any niggles, and I hope Honda don't go all conservative with the design of the next Civic.

Hope your all enjoying your Spaceships!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 12:21
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Suspension - agreed

Stereo - Mine suits me OK at power level 12

Steering Wheel - agreed

i-shift - I don't like it

Storage - agreed

1.4 N/A

Dashboard & Computer - I would like them to get the speedo more accurate but mine has no rattles at all, even after 15K

Remote Locking - Never had a problem

Paint - Agreed

Overall - Obviously designed by the accountants this time around.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th August 2008, 06:52
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Sounds like you're a happy man;and that's good
P.S. if you find the ride/seats a bit firm,I know I sorted my ES's by buying a set of genuine sheepskin seat covers.I tell you,they are superb (don't actually need them with the type S,which for me has softer/better shaped seats

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th August 2008, 11:17
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Suspension - I'm in a Type S GT so I expected a firmer ride, no problems

Stereo - It comes on when I want it too and makes a good enough noise for me

Steering Wheel - If I was being picky, the silver plastic trim is naff and pretty cheap looking but hey, its round and helps me point the car in the right direction.

i-shift - Don't like Auto full stop but the I-shift has to be one of the worst transmissions on the market, only beaten in poorness by Vauxhalls Easychronic.(IMHO)

Storage - agreed

1.4 Have driven a couple and they seem fine to me, will be better when the new Vtec unit is in place (100ps)

Dashboard & Computer - Am happy that if anything, it over-reads speed rather than under. No problems with rattles etc.

Remote Locking - Never had a problem - However, am aware that if the boot isnt shut properly then the locking system will not lock properly. Check the display on the onboard computer. Dont be afraid to slam the boot shut rather than gently closing it.

Paint - Never had a problem in 7 months and have so far yet to see a peppered bonnet, however, then general finish of the paint is poor. (IMHO)

Overall - One of the better small hatches available, unique design, with flaws (but arent they all). Designed on a budget and rushed out too early when launched but getting better.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th August 2008, 11:57
Supporter

Had mine 4 weeks now and got 900 miles on it. (1.8ES)

Suspension: Can live with it on most roads, but does tend to buck around and feel overly stiff on badly surfaced roads at low speeds. But then I realised that on the test drive, so it hasn;t come as a surprise.

Stereo: ok. Slightly dodgy reception on some stations.

Steering Wheel: Agree, although it could do with tilting up a bit more.

i-shift: Test drove one and it seemed pretty good, but went for manual. during the first couple of hundred miles the change into 2nd gear for the first couple of miles after starting, particularly when chaging down from 3rd was really bad sometimes -- wouldn't even go in on a couple of occasions. Has improved significantly, but still requires a firm push going from 3rd to 2nd sometimes.

1.4 - n/a. Find the 1.8 just fine though.

Dashboard/Computer: No complaints, love the design. After all, I guess you wouldn't buy the car if you didn't like the design. No dashboard rattles, just a few as yet unidentified bits of creaking/rubbing trim on really bad roads, but not enough to irritate. Some interior plastics do seem very each to scratch though -- particulalry the silver plastic stuff and I've already managed to mark the panel on the drivers door; something I noticed on almost all used examples I looked at before getting mine.

Remote Locking: No problems so far.

Paint: Quite orange peely, but none if its fallen off yet.

Overall: Great, very happy with it so far, but I think Honda may have been a bit shortsighted in skimping on the quality in some areas. Whilst I knew what to the problem areas might be from this forum, I think a lot of people might expect slightly more in terms of build quality from Honda.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th August 2008, 12:41
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door
Had ours a good few months now and about 4K miles. (1.8EX)

Suspension: Does fell a lot harder than my Audi, but then again, that is criticised by many for being floaty. Not unpleasant though and is a lot more fun to hussle than my Audi, so no real complaints

Stereo: its ok, makes a noise we can all sing along to on long journeys and plays the wifes (dubious) mp3s. At the end of the day its in a tin box with road and engine noise thrown into the mix as well. Its never going to sound like a hi fi system.

Steering Wheel: Agree.

i-shift: Wife loves it and she has got the knack of driving it v smoothly and has never (to my knowledge) been found wanting at roundabouts etc. I cant say i'm a fan as I dont like auto's (I like to be in control, not a ECU) but I like the fact that there isn't a fuel penalty for having the auto functionality (and its soooo lazy when in auto mode just pressing resume on the cruise and letting the car work its way through the gears back to the original speed).

1.4 - n/a. Find the 1.8 just fine though and love the early 40's MPG (calculated) that we can get.

Dashboard/Computer: As has been mentioned previously, love the design and the fact that it dares to be different. No dashboard rattles now, they have either stopped by themselves or been fixed by dealer (and its an 06 so should be riddled with faults).

Remote Locking: No problems so far.

Paint: Again, not babies bum smooth, but not that bad either. Not a huge number of stone chips on the front as yet, despite a lot of motorway miles. My Audi has fewer though and has done 110K miles....

Overall: Very happy with it and, more importantly for my sanity, so is the wife (and daughter).
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th August 2008, 14:21

Car: 2008 CTR, NHB
Suspension:- Hmmm, don't find it to bad in the R to be honest - was expecting nothing less. Certainly less hard riding than many other cars I've been in (my mates Mini Cooper with 17" wheels on run flats, for instance!)

Stereo:- Average - sounds ok, does a job and nothing more. Played around with bass/treble to improve things slightly. Now CD's sound okay, radio sounds a bit poor.

Steering Wheel:- I agree - superb item and often commented on by passengers!

i-Shift:- n/a

Storage:- Definitely agree - boot is vast and very useful - can fit an entire drum kit in and still take 2 passengers!

1.4:- n/a

Dashboard & Computer:- Agreed - a masterpiece of design. Thing the illumination on the buttons could be a little better though - e.g. colour matched to the displays (blue or red) and more brightly lit.

Remote Locking:- No prob at all.

Paint:- Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish! The worst and most frustrating bit of my car! Just needs looking at funny to get scratched, chips really easily, swirls like nobody's business. Black is especially bad!

Overall:- I concur - a fabulous car in looks and drive. Better build quality (more solid interior without rattles and decent metal/paint) would make it perfect.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th August 2008, 14:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for all the replies, its interesting to know how all our cars compare.

Keep them coming!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 23:54
Supporter

[quote=danram;224541]Had mine 4 weeks now and got 900 miles on it. (1.8ES)

Paint: Quite orange peely, but none if its fallen off yet.

Oh well, I thought all this poor paintwork was overplayed, but I've just found two nice big chips on my nearside front wing today after a 100 mile motorway journey
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 17th September 2008, 22:12

Hey Brooksm,

Its so good to hear that you have a nice example of the i shift (early model).....alot of people have slated the car from what i have seen. I am collecting my i shift 1.8 SE this weekend and am hoping that it is a dream........Its a 56 plate and will see how it performs.......if it plays up at roundabouts i will have to get he upgrade from Honda....I wanted to ask, does your wife drive it mainly in A mode or does she use the gears? It would be interesting to know. Safe driving.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th September 2008, 08:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Trust me, if it needs the upgrade you wont believe the difference. The latest software is excellent, my 08 i-Shift changes so smoothly you can't always tell its changed gear!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th September 2008, 08:40
Civic gone, not forgotten

Car: Pug 4007, 308CC, Clio dci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
Trust me, if it needs the upgrade you wont believe the difference. The latest software is excellent, my 08 i-Shift changes so smoothly you can't always tell its changed gear!
In fairness though, the 1.4 has less grunt so the changes will be smoother than a 1.8 all other things being equal. If you want to try a really bad one, I test drove an early C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi and the seat belt was the only thing stopping me being thrown through the windscreen when it changed gear!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th September 2008, 08:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

You're right. When I test drove the 1.8 it was a little jerky at times. The lesser power output of the 1.4 really does suit the i-Shift.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th September 2008, 19:05

Oh yes.........just came back from collecting my civic i shift and it is a DREAM!!!!!! Doesn't seem to need an upgrade but will see how it is ove rthe next week.......its fast, cool and comfy!!! what more could you want......I AM A HAPPY CHAPPYYY!!!!!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2008, 16:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Good news!! Don't forget the pictures!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 24th September 2008, 07:06
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
Good news!! Don't forget the pictures!
I don't bother now, I just get a DVD in

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page