another 1.8 review - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 14:44 Thread Starter
Supporter

another 1.8 review

Well, after 8 months and 7K Kms, I thinks itís time for a short review.

The car is a 1.8 iVTEC Type S, and the trim level is ..err something between the normal and the GT. In detail, it has all the GT add-ons except the panoramic glass roof.

Engine. The iVTEC is a nice engine, a bit rough at low revs, though. The power and torque seems low until you reach about 4 Ė 4.5K revs, but I like the concept of revving all the way up to 6.5 only when you need it. The sound is awesome and I also like the technology that lies beneath that engine. For sure, especially in the low range, is lacks some torque and power compared to its forced induction rivals, but then, itís all about reliability and risk free operation over the decades.. What surprises me the most is the fuel economy. Ok, I assume that the engine may not be totally run in, but how about 11-11,5 lt/100 km = 25-26 mpg (urban, many stops & go) and 8 lt/100 km = 35 mpg on country roads in legal speeds and while driving at a 3.5 Ė 4.5K rev range?

Gearbox. Absolutely no problem about it. Sometimes, it feels like the gearshift is sliding in the next gear only by thought.

Steering. Very fast with nice feel but not as informative as the Focus one. In small alleys, it feels like the car doesnít cut the corner as it should. I believe that the large wheelbase and also the large 225mm tyres are mainly those to blame for. At high speeds, the steering also feels weighty and precise. Even better it is, when driving reasonably fast in country roads.

Suspension. This is where the problems start. Whereas Iím one of the lucky ones, as except a bump stop failure (orange which then replaced by the white one), no other failure occurred, I strongly feel that a higher spec suspension should have transformed the whole driving experience. Itís not only about the rear single-beam axle, where most critics have focused. I think that suspension is a bit crashy, the suspension travel seems not enough at it hits the bump stops very often and the shocks seem that they donít cooperate with the springs. Spring setup is stiff, so the car feels parallel to the road in fast bends, but in order to keep acceptable levels of comfort, the shock absorbers seem a little soft. Car handles well, it does feel that by learning it, you also can turn in around corners faster, it is not as balanced as a BMW and not as joyfull as previous, independent suspension equipped civics. I therefore, declare my pure interest and hope as well, to those Koni FSDs for improving the situation. By the way, does anyone have fitted them ? Are they available in the UK ?

Looks. A total stunner. Every other car seems over-aged, especially in respect to the civís interior. I suspect that this is the major reason nowadays to buy one for most of the people. Type S interior, with the white stitched alcadara seats, looks great.

Quality. Overall, not bad. Cost cutting techniques have resulted to generic flaws and possible faults. Color quality is totally rubbish, the plastic trim seems that it wonít last long. Rattles are present and careless assembly is visible in some areas. In general every little bit seems that it is designed only to do the job for a certain amount of time, and not for a lifetime as it was with previous Hondas.

Driving experience. Whereas in urban environment it feels a bit out of its orientation, outside the city, it can move very fast and it seems that is really designed to do that. In big journeys, it doesnít feel comfortable as the road noise and the stiff suspension will finally cause fatigue and annoyance.

Likes: look, handling, performance, technology, usability, puts a big smile in your face.

Dislikes: suspension feel (not performance), weight, quality, Honda after-sales.

Any comments are welcome.
Thanks to g_bak from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 14:50

Great review.

I agree Honda quailty isn't quite what it should be, but faults can be found with any car.

At least you're not driving a boring car with faults!

Suspension does need more work though, not as good as the previous model.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 15:07
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
I see a lot of people saying the suspension ain't good, I wonder why? Is it because it's too hard?

i personally like a bit harder suspension, it makes you go whiiiiii, where others go brake.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 15:23

For UK roads the suspension is way too hard. Mind you, our roads could certainly do with being better kept, the thieving government take enough money from us.

Shame their using it to line their own pockets.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 15:34
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
Oh, i see. Belgian roads are pretty nice, they could be better, but most of them are easy and comfortable to drive.

Forgot to mention in my previous post by the way: Nice review
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 16:33
Greek Subforum Moderator

Car: 2007 1.8 5 door, Black
Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,416 Posts
great review g_bak
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2008, 21:49
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great review

I think you make some very fair and good points.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th September 2008, 07:49 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks guys for the good comments ! I 've noticed that after 10K kms, that suspension actually settles and softens a bit. That's very good news, maybe I'll postpone the purchase if these FSDs after all !

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page