200 miles/5 days my 57 cdti sport - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 03:40 Thread Starter

Car: 2.2 Remapped to 170bhp
200 miles/5 days my 57 cdti sport

Ok I will start with the bad points so far:

No rear wipe. Self cleaning my areola. I am getting used to it though.

No spare. That little nagging in the back of my mind that its going to be very expensive if i get a puncture. Mind you i do love the extra room in the boot. If i get a puncture i will have to make sure its in walking distance of an ATS/KWIK FIT.

The brakes. Mine seem to need to be worked a bit hard when stopping sharply. Maybe its just mine ?

The noise. Its my first diesel and they sound terrible, not too bad when up to speed but i will get used to it.

Wherever I park someone parks right next to me. This is serious. After being hit in a b&q car park many moons ago i always park as far away from any other cars as i can in car parks. No matter where I park the civic i find some dip stick parked beside me its mainly nissan or older honda drivers and its very annoying.

My fiance wants to drive it all the time. And when she does i feel sick.

Ok thats the bad points over now for the good.

The engine. Simply amazing so smooth and torquey. Plenty of power. I test drove a seat leon fr 170 and the civic feels almost as quick. The leon was so harsh in comparison.

The economy. That damn little computer doesn't half make you drive like its a sunday !
Since i picked it up trip i am showing 48mpg which includes just a couple of half hour motorway journeys. On one of them said journeys i achieved 56.6mpg quite easily and i hope to get higher than 60 soon. If you compare this to the average i was getting in my mazda6 1.8 25mpg or my v5 golf 2.3 21mpg you can see why i am chuffed.
The handling/cornering. Firm like i like it. Hey i came from a mk4 golf to this civic so its like a touring car !

The cabin/driving position. Whenever i get in my civic it makes me feel special,from the aluminium pedals to the best dash and steering wheel i have ever used. Sure there are a few cheaper plastics about but this is a family hatch not an executive saloon. All the gadgets within the dash computer are actually USEFULL. Particually the seatbelt removal notification as i have a thee year old son !

The space in the back. Leg room aplenty no more dirty footprints on the back of the passenger seat (my son in his chair). There is easily more room in the back than my mazda 6. The only downside is the lack of vision my son has because of the high lines of the side back window but hey he'll grow ! The fold up rear seats are a masterstroke by honda and i have already had my sons bike in with him in the back. This feature will come in so usefull in the next few years.

Other things that are good
The powerfull white headlights.
mp3 reading cd player(although no aux connection)
Windscreen wiper motion (no longer being disadvantaged for driving on the left.
All little things but that have been well thought out for once.

Overall i have been amazed by this car especially as my expectations were so high.

When showing my friend round the car he sat in the drivers seat and said "does it take you back in time when when you hit 88mph"!
Well if it did i would go back to 2006 and get me a civic instead of a mazda6 and a v5 golf .McFLYYYYY!

Apologies for the long post but this is what i wanted to say. I found other owners reviews very helpfull when choosing my civic so i hope this help someone else.
Cheers Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 08:29

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
you must be the first person on here to say that the diesel engine is a noisy one but i drive the petrol version so cant tell really but it seems that you are enjoying your car.

grtz
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 08:45
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,772 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Reddervil,

The brakes need a bit of running in, and the engine will need a bit more running in before it all starts to work properly and sound nice. Most people find the diesel as rough as a tractor for the first 400-700 miles. Running in info is here.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 09:58

Great review. Glad to hear you are enjoying your car!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 11:18

Great to hear you are enjoying it. Believe me it's still as much of a buzz two years on
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 12:07
Supporter

Car: 2016 PCX Cherry Red
Garage
I usually change my car every 18 months to 2 years as I get bored easily. My civic is the first car which I can see I will keep longer. Yes it is not perfect, no car is, but the joy of owning such an individual car far outweighs its minor niggles.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by para999 View Post
I usually change my car every 18 months to 2 years as I get bored easily. My civic is the first car which I can see I will keep longer. Yes it is not perfect, no car is, but the joy of owning such an individual car far outweighs its minor niggles.
You are sooo right!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 13:28
Supporter

Had my Sport for 18 months, the best thing is, when I jump in.. Its still my NEW motor.

Performance is amazing, power AND economy who could ask for more???

Enjoy...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 20:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2.2 Remapped to 170bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Reddervil,

The brakes need a bit of running in, and the engine will need a bit more running in before it all starts to work properly and sound nice. Most people find the diesel as rough as a tractor for the first 400-700 miles. Running in info is here.
Pottsy my civic has done 16000 miles and is a year old !

When i say its noisy i just mean because i have come from a petrol v5 which when i was sat traffic lights i only new the engine was running was when i felt a small rumble though the seats !

I actually drove with the window down tonight and listened with the radio off. And for a diesel once going its quite impressive. See told you i would get used to it !

Quick question while i am on : how accurate does every body find the remaining miles to empty function on the computer ? I found it to be a waste of time on all my other cars
Cheers Carl
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th August 2008, 18:04

Carl
I've had my 2.2 ES for a week now (that's gone quick...!) and I share most of your negative & positives from the initial post. It's a little noisier as an engine than I'd built myself up to believe beforehand (although on a very tiny scale) but still way quieter than my old Seat Toledo (esp at idle) (VAG wake up, common rail your oil burners now!).
I will say that the lack of rear wipe is something I'm utterly used to.. the Toledo was the same. Doesn't bother me.
My fav addition has to be getting Honda reversing sensors fitted - they're a fluppin godsend!

And yeah, speaking for most here, I agree bigstyle with the "feeling special" observation - you're right, plastics notwithstanding, you really do feel special in the little spaceship. It sort of envelopes you..

Did notice that the alloys have been curbed on one wheel.. but i noticed yesterday & it's not my fault. guess they won't be interested in sorting it out...

But in the end, the only thing that niggles are the shockingly bad speakers & a little door rattle (i think prev owner re-fitted the factory speakers from something else...) which I think is easy to sort, and everything else is blummin wonderful
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th August 2008, 18:17
4th Honda

Car: 2015 1.8 SE + Nav Auto
I know what you mean about parking. I'm pleased to say by parking as far away as possible from supermarket entrances my Civic has remained free of dents after almost one year. Nevertheless I'm sure other drivers think my Civic looks lonely as they park next to me even if there are loads of empty spaces near by. I think they are hoping the two cars will mate and have babies!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th August 2008, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by longitude View Post
I know what you mean about parking. I'm pleased to say by parking as far away as possible from supermarket entrances my Civic has remained free of dents after almost one year.
That's where my disabled badge comes in handy, nice wide parking bays, no-one is near enough to the car to dent it!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th November 2008, 17:01

I also find that the rear parking sensors are amazing, very handy.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10th December 2008, 14:05

i'm looking into buying a 1-yr old 2.2 sport/es and have reservations about the lack of rear windscreen wiper. what's it like not having one - all my previous hatches have had them.

are the parking sensors standard on 2.2 s/es 57 plate cars?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 00:35

Car: Mazda RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicwannabe View Post
...are the parking sensors standard on 2.2 s/es 57 plate cars?
I think they're standard from 1st March 08-plates...I've been looking at '57 plate EX's and those don't have them as standard.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 08:41
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Parking sensors are not standard on the ES 08 plate - they are on a EX 08 plate
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 08:53
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDervil View Post

The brakes. Mine seem to need to be worked a bit hard when stopping sharply. Maybe its just mine ?
The brakes aren't snatchy like a lot of cars, especially VW/Audi and Peugeot; this is actually how brakes are supposed to be - what you put in is what you get out.

It's just how they are set up and nothing to worry about. If you want to improve braking though, you can always change the brake hoses.

You'll find you can be a lot smoother with your braking which is better for passengers. The downside is when you next get in a VW you press the brake pedal so far you'll go through the windscreen!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 6th January 2009, 23:45

I found that with the brakes when I got into a VW again. Became a bit of a nightmare for a few days.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page