post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 09:39 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
Thumbs up My 1.4 i-DSi sport review

Well ... where should I start?

Maybe from the beginning. I was driving a Volvo 460 1.9TDI, build in Octobre 1995. It was a wonderful car, a lot of power, weighted only 1050kg, turbo, intercooler, lots of space, lots of grip on the road, ...

But then there was rust, broken fuelpump, flat reartires, ... if i had to replace all of that it would have been +-700€ costs (if we did it ourselves). Since the car was 13 years old, 700€ is a lot, because a few months later another part and maybe a more critical/expensive could give up.

So we went out to buy a car. We didn't really knew what we were gonna buy, I always felt a lot of affection for Honda and especially the Civic. So the first garage we went to was the Honda's. The dealer was friendly, did persist too much and gave u a lot of time to inspect the car. The first impression was amazing! We already knew the exterior, it was something spacy ... futuristic, new, fresh, sportive, young, ... we liked it.
When we opened the doors and sat behind the dash that feeling only got stronger. We did a testdrive with the 1.4 and we fell in love.
The dealer made us a price and we went to other garages to check out other models.

The next garage was a Ford. Since my dad works at Volvo Ghent we get a nice reduction of 15% on the focus. It was the Focus econetic 1.6 diesel engine. The car just looks like .... a car. The inside was so 1999 and felt totally rubbish, creacks and rattles everywhere. less space then the Civic and last but not least ... without the reduction it was 20200€, with the reduction it was almost the same as the Civic.
The Focus only had manual airco and 15" lightweight alloys. The Civic has much more, automatic airco, mp3, 16" alloys, futuristic design and a Honda logo

After the Ford garage we did some 2nd hand dealers, but prices like 15-16000€ for a Ford Clipper 4 years old, was just a little too much.

So it was decided and after all arrangements with the bank, insurance and stuff we picked up our car at 8/8/08 .

After been given a brief explanation of the car's main functions we went on the road. The first impression was waaaaaw .
The engine handles good, steering is direct, suspension is hard, but still swallows the bumps good and since it's that stiff and goes like whiiiii in the corners .

The engine:
The 1.4 engine is a pretty nice and i think also durable engine, though it is not powerfull. Comming from a 1.9 turbo'd diesel this 1.4 is rather slow. We bought the 1.4 so the government wouldn't ruin us on taxes and the insurance companies would stay low, we're planning to buy a house in the next few years, so no budget for expensive cars .
For flat roads this engine is a dream, just rev up to your speed and then throw it in a high gear (50km/u in 4th, 70 in 5th, 90 in 6th) and your economy will be good. But when the road goes up, the car looses a lot of speed and you need to press the pedal pretty deep to keep up.
The engine is pretty silent, but when you rev it up to 5000+ rpm, it roars like a wild animal. It really produces a nice power sound then. When you drive about 3500-4000 rpm (which is 120km/u in 6th), the engine is pretty noisy though, very weird when you go below those rpm's, the engine is silent and when you go above them at those speeds, it also isn't noisy.

The interior:
Gotta love it! The dash has a nice overview, looks futuristic, a lot of buttons, but everything speaks for itself. the ways the seats can be positioned is brilliant. except for the front seats, when you want to turn the upperpart of the seat, you have to press or pull a lever, i'd rather had a kind of wheel i could turn left or right for more accuracy.
The materials looks solid, but i do wonder a bit for the textiles used on doors and the space behind the handbrake-lever. Wouldn't it wear out in about 20 000km? Now it's soft and pretty though.
The space for the driver and all of the passengers is more than just plenty. Also the boot is HUGE!

I do have 2 rattles, but already called the dealer about it and he'll fix them when i bring him in for the first oil check in 10 000km.

The exterior:
Still love it how people look at the car everytime I pass them . It's rough, looks fast, futuristic. At last a car that's completely different than all the others out there.
Although I noticed the paint isn't really good quality, i'll keep a close eye on it. Once i closed the door and accidentally the upperpart of my nails touched the door and already there was a scratch , i never had that with my Volvo. There is already a stone chip in the bonnet too.

The handling:
Well yesterday is tested the cars handling a bit and i must say ... i'm impressed! with or without the VSA (stability control) on, the car handles brilliant. When you go faster, the car even bites harder in the asfalt.
The brakes are ... well, when i pressed the brakepedal harder then normal i though they stuck an iron bar in my wheels, i was stuck behind my seatbelt and i though my eyeballs were smashed against the windscreen.
Allthough I had a little problem with the gears, I once wanted to put him in reverse, but the gears were stuck. I couldn't move back, forward, left nor right... But i pulled it up and then it shot back in neutral. Very weird. The first stiffness has now gone our of the gearbox and I think he will not have this behaviour anymore.

The other stuff:
What else can I speak of... hmmmm
Aha! the soundsystem... It's not bad, but it's not waw too, it has some bass, but not very deep. Though the sound is clear.

Overall:
I'm very pleased about this car. Nice looks, very practical and nice handling. Although it has a lack of power, I expected more from that from Honda.

If there are other stuff that you want to hear about from my type of car, just name it and i'll be happy to add.

Last edited by anti-rsca; 26th August 2008 at 09:46. Reason: Forgot something :)
Thank You to anti-rsca from 2 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 09:57

Great review, nice to read another 1.4 owners comments.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 29th August 2008, 16:44

Nice review, I also have the 1.4 for the same reason as you.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 29th August 2008, 16:45

We should have a little 1.4 club!
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 30th August 2008, 01:06
R-2
geekess

Car: 2010 Mugen 200 Type R
Send a message via MSN to R-2
Excellent review and very entertaining
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 30th August 2008, 07:06 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
hehe thx ya all
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 30th August 2008, 23:54
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Great review anti-rsca!
Good luck with your spaceship.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 31st August 2008, 08:40
Supporter

Garage
Glad you like your car. Honda make some great engines and 106 mph is 36 mph faster than you are allowed to drive in the UK.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st September 2008, 20:42
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great Review - Says it all
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th October 2008, 11:13 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
It's time for a little update to this review:

Let me start with this:

Owning a Civic is wonderful

although it has some negative points, but i'd still advice one to everybody who wants to buy a new car and has a budget from 16k € to 25k €.

Engine, economy, driving quality, gearbox, ...:
I've done just under 4000 km's with it now and the engine is running in nicely. Accelleration goes smoothly, still not as I was used in my Volvo, but no matter how good the engine ran in, it's still a 1.4 and not a 1.9TDI .
My first 2 refuels the economy was about 7.3-7.5liters per 100km's, now it dropped to 6.4-6.5, which is what i've expected, so it's good.
The sound the engine makes at high revs is like i said awsome ... Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss and all others would pee their pants if they could hear it.
The changing gears is smooth, but not smooth enough, i think my Civic's gears aren't well adjusted and i'm going to tell it at my first service at the dealer. 1st and 2nd gear are sometimes a little hard to get into, especially while downshifting. When i want to put him in reverse the gearstick is stuck sometimes, that shouldn't happen!
While driving the car everything goes smooth, suspension is still hard, but it keeps you going in sharp corners and it's not too hard.

Build quality:
Some stuff is good, other stuff ... less good. Dashboard could be better, paint could be better, but carpets, seats, doors, buttons and stuff like that feels solid and all electrics work as they should work.
Interior noise is sometimes a bit loud, but then i turn up the radiovolume a bit higher. It never became too loud to disturb a conversion with passengers.

Fun stuff:
Damn i like those magic seats! A few weeks ago i need to get some water, coca cola, beer, ... and other stuff in house, it was so much that my volvo wouldn't be able to take it in one time. But the Civic could handle that and much more, because i stopped at the supermarket also for some normal stuff we needed.
Digital speed-o-meter: This little ******* makes me drive slower. At work I drive a VW Passat (awfull car!!) and i never get confronted with the speed i'm driving at. So I just poor the gaspedal, sometimes doing 150km/h while permitted only 90. In the Civic your speed is always in sight. So that's a good thing imo.

I still like it when people look at the car when passing by. When i turn on the foglights, his looks are even better, nearly everbody looks at it. So in general, still liking this car a lot and he filled in 99% of my expectations

the other 1% contains 2 things: build quality and engine power.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th October 2008, 13:25

Glad to hear that you're still enjoying your car!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th October 2008, 16:23
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Nice update, good to see you're still (mostly) pleased with it.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th October 2008, 18:37

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
your just speeding in the passat because you dont have to pay for the diesel/petrol
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th October 2008, 20:08 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
your just speeding in the passat because you dont have to pay for the diesel/petrol
had to pay for the diesel in my Volvo too and i drove that like a maniak too
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 13th October 2008, 12:54

Just wondering what is the difference between a 1.4 Sport and the 1.4 SE?
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 13th October 2008, 22:38
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
Just wondering what is the difference between a 1.4 Sport and the 1.4 SE?
Trim and specification. The Wiki is your friend here

www.civinfo.com/wiki
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th February 2009, 09:14 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
My Spaceship went for it's first service last friday. I asked them to work on my rattles and creacks, check my gearbox and some other minor stuff. After the service (which costed 76€, rather cheap imo), i could say i really enjoy my spaceship now. The car is quiet and the gears are smooth.
They temporary fixed the rattles, i'll have to bring in the car next month for more permanent fixes, then i also get a replacement vehicle for free.
The problem with the gearbox is also solved, the problem here was that changing gears wasn't really smooth and sometimes i got stuck when trying to put the car in reverse. The solution to this was that the dark grey ring around the gearthing was loose, i could move it around. This also damaged the plastics of the gearthing (don't know the english term ). So the darkgrey ring wasn't attached with screws which should have been! Anyway, problems solved and a 100% happy customer now!
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th February 2009, 09:17

Glad to hear you're still enjoying your Civic!
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th February 2009, 09:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
Glad to hear you're still enjoying your Civic!
Even more after looking at the facelift-model at the dealer
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 9th February 2009, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-rsca View Post
Even more after looking at the facelift-model at the dealer
I know what you mean!
Thanks to Wheelchair from:

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page