Disabled & Thinking of a Civic? Read This. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 14:01 Thread Starter

Disabled & Thinking of a Civic? Read This.

I thought I would give a review of the Civic from a disabled persons viewpoint rather than concerning about performance, specification and styling etc.

First off, if like me you are a wheelchair user you will be pleased with the boot space in the Civic. My wheelchair I use mostly is my Sunrise Breezy which folds down and lays in the boot. Its quite a large wheelchair and the backrests on it do not fold, yet by removing the footrests it lays in the boot with room to spare. The advantage of laying the chair means that your rear view is not restricted and nothing is left on display in the back of the car, also you don't have to keep removing the parcel shelf.

Mobility scooters such as the Sunrunner 4 and Shoprider will also fold down and store easily in the boot. The false floor section is good for storing the batteries for example. Anyone with a larger scooter or walking frame would be able to store these behind the front seats, once the magic rear seat bases are raised. (Which is very easy to do)

Access into the driving seat is a little restricted, so getting in and out of the Civic may be a challenge for those who have lost suppleness in their legs. However, it is not impossible.

Once in the car, the steering wheel moves for both reach and rake, and the remote controls placed on it make for easy operation of the stereo and computer with no need to stretch.

The steering itself is very nice and light, anyone who finds some power steering systems heavy, like me, would have no problem with it. Indeed, the car can be steered easily with one arm.

The major controls are easily at hand and for those who suffer in the heat, again like me, the climate control is very effective and easy to use.

The driving seat may take a little getting used to, as they are quite firm to start with. I have been suprised with how quickly I have managed to get used to them, normally it takes weeks.

Once in the seat you may notice in your rear view the bar across the back of the rear screen. I find that the lower portion of the screen is useful for seeing when parking, I haven't been caught out yet. For those who are less confident, parking sensors are also available. Large wing mirrors also assist with parking and are controlled conveniently by a switch on the driver's door.

With regards to changing gear, the automatic option known as i-Shift enables easy gear changing via steering wheel paddles, shift lever or a fully automatic mode. This system is also very easy to adapt to, and should not cause anyone used to either a conventional automatic or manual gearbox any problem. The i-Shift is also very economical, if you have a normal auto 'box you will pleasantly suprised by the savings in your fuel bills.

Anyone who suffers with back problems may find the Civic's ride a little too firm. You do tend to feel all the bumps in the road when driving, so this would need to be taken into account when thinking of purchasing one. However, it is not so hard as to make the car uncomfortable.

As regards to actually making a purchase on Motability, be aware that the Civic is quite expenive compared to other manufacturers vehicles on the scheme. It is though very well equipped which goes along way to making up for the high advance payments.

Motabilty prices can be checked on their website, here.....

Search by Vehicle Details - DLA Recipients - Motability Car Scheme

All in all, the Civic is a very good vehicle and I can highly recommend one, if anyone needs another further advice, just ask!

See also this thread:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/buying-...formation.html

Last edited by FWH; 28th September 2008 at 09:55. Reason: Added link to other thread.
Thank You to Wheelchair from 7 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 14:05
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
That's a great review Wheelchair

It'll be very useful, I'm sure.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:12
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great Review Wheelchair

Very informative and very helpful for those in the same situation.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:15
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Yes very interesting.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:20
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Most interesting, as it's something not often covered by anyone, it almost begs the question of why does this type of review not appear elsewhere (there should be a disabled review panel for cars, as otherwise making a decision based on a 'healthy persons' view could be markedly different, especially as you pointed out, people with leg problems etc. may find some cars hard to use etc. etc.).

Thanks,
Tom
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMan View Post
Great Review Wheelchair

Very informative and very helpful for those in the same situation.
Thank-you! It can be difficult finding relevant information when disabled and buying a car. One of the first things I need to check is whether I can get my wheelchair in the boot. Often things like the stereo and gadgets are not that important.

Hopefully it will help someone make the right choice for them when choosing their next car.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Most interesting, as it's something not often covered by anyone, it almost begs the question of why does this type of review not appear elsewhere (there should be a disabled review panel for cars, as otherwise making a decision based on a 'healthy persons' view could be markedly different, especially as you pointed out, people with leg problems etc. may find some cars hard to use etc. etc.).

Thanks,
Tom
You're right Tom. For example what most people may regard as light power steering can be almost impossible to drive drive for those of us who are ill and/or disabled.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:27
Lord of JAE.....

Exactly, almost makes me think someone like Autotrader could make a few bucks from a special disabled review edition.....My nan would have struggled in my civ, being 5 foot nothing and blind as a bat (mind you though she got a Renault Scenic about no problems.....), however my 5 series totally foxed her on the lay out etc. as she wanted a plain simple car, that as you say had different points from what I'd want.

Tom
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:29
TYPE R GT (R-15016)

Good review mate.................Yo much time on your hands lol
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yes, although I do like luxury items and gadgets in a car, they are not what I look at when buying one.

My must have items are

1. Power steering
2. Adjustable steering wheel
3. Air conditioning
4. Large boot for my wheelchair
5. Auto/semi auto gearbox

The air conditioning is essential as like most people with MS, heat is a huge problem.

I must say that my Civic makes me much less tired after a three hour journey than the previous model did, its a huge improvement ease of driving wise.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:35
TYPE R GT (R-15016)

I like my gadgets .............wheelchair..( better not abbriviate your user name as I do lol )
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Better not! Enough people refer to me as a toilet on here already!!
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:39
TYPE R GT (R-15016)

I hope not !!! MORONS !!!
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 11 View Post
I like my gadgets .............wheelchair..( better not abbriviate your user name as I do lol )
I do like gadgets too, I love the controls on the steering wheel, including the i-Shift paddles. I also think the trip computer is fantastic.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just a quick request to the mods, could we make this thread a sticky? It would be easier for any potential disabled drivers to come across and therefore be of more use.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 15:45
Lord of JAE.....

Seconded.

Tom
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 16:00
Administrator

And done
Thank You to HappyMan from 2 Users:
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 16:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for that. Hopefully this information will prove useful, its a very stressful time when changing your car. I myself have great trouble in finding the right car, as what may seem easy one day is very difficult on another.

Its easy with the car you already have as you're used to it, but when trying new ones it can seem very daunting and it can be worrying if you're not sure you've made the right choice.

Fortunantly I have made the right choice!
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 16:11
Administrator

I can imagine wheelchair. Let's hope this helps others
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 10th September 2008, 16:13
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Question : Did your car recieve a special equipment for you ?

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in