Owner of last gen Civic? Thinking of the new Civic? Read this. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 14:05 Thread Starter

Owner of last gen Civic? Thinking of the new Civic? Read this.

Having owned both the previous gen model (2005) and now the current Civic, I thought I would comare the two for anyone thinking of the new model. I shall try not to be too biased toward the current model, so as to give a fair comparison.

The models I'm comparing are the 2005 Civic 1.4 SE, and the 2008 Civic 1.4 SE with i-Shift. (Both 5 door versions)

Firstly on the outside of the new model, you will see immediately that the styling is much improved and quite futuristic compared with the previous gen model. Also the spec has changed, alloy wheels are now dropped from the new car having previously being standard on the old model. The standard wheels are now 16", rather than 15" before. Indicators are now housed in the wing mirrors, which are also larger and easier to see out of. Chrome style door handles look much nicer and the rear handles are hidden, giving a coupe/3 door like stance. The remote locking is the same although there is no separate controls on the keyfob, they are now on the key in the more usual manner.

Also dropped from the specification of the old model is the rear wiper. Apparantly this is no longer needed due to the shape of the rear glass, the rain is just supposed to wash off. Some like this some don't, although I would say its not caused me any problems so far. The other change is the loss of the rear spoiler at the top of the rear window, there is a kind of built in spoiler lower down. This divides the rear screen in two, and some people are not keen on this new arrangement. I actually find its helps with parking, and blocks out the headlight glare from cars behind at night.

On the practicality side you now get a larger boot with a large false floor, magic rear seats, a larger and air-conditioned glovebox and better storage within the dashboard itself. For those not aware, the magic rear seats enable you to lift the seatbase and lock it up against the rear seat backs. This enables you to make use of a much larger space, and you will be amazed at what you can now fit in the Civic.

Inside the car, its all change! There is much more silver trim on display than the old car, and it is of lesser quality than before. It does look a little overdone, but it does not ruin the interior. The steering is a vast improvement over the previous gen, its much lighter and the steering now moves for both reach and rake, unlike the one before. The remote controls for the stereo and trip computer are an improvement too, indeed the old model was quite poor in this regard with no remote stereo controls and having to reach over the top of the steering wheel to access the one function computer. The one thing that is a backward step however, is the loss of leather trim on the steering wheel.

The trip computer now shows a much wider range of data and in a more graphic style than before. This is house in the middle of the rev counter, and is commented on by all who see it. Not suprising really, it looks fabulous! The digital speedo is above this and there are also rev lights and economy lights to assist with more economical driving.

Another improvement is the stereo which now is better integrated into the dashboard, without the unsightly gap underneath, that let down the dashboard previously. MP3 and WMA discs are also now supported, and there is a display to give you track information, such as the name etc. The remote controls on the steering wheel also make for easier and safer control of the stereo.

The air-con of the old model is now upgraded to single zone climate control, although I have to say, I don't engage the auto fuction and just run it as if it were air-con. The controls for this are now more modern, I must admit I quite liked the more simple 'three dial' set-up in the old car, but the system is an improvement overall.

The driver now gets an armrest with storage underneath and there is a rear seat armrest too. Mirror and door locking controls are now on the driver's door, this is much improved and make door locking much easier, no more reaching backwards over your shoulder to lock the door when driving.

In terms of driving the car it handles nicely and is fun to drive, although the hardness of the suspension is NOT an improvement. Its actually far less forgiving over bumps than the previous gen model, and one area where Honda have made an error, and really should be addressed. However, the car, once you are used to it, is not uncomfortable to drive, but make sure you take a good test drive to see if its something you can live with.

The i-Shift gearbox is a new addition and is a great way to drive the car. You can control it via the steering wheel paddles, shift lever or leave it in automatic. There is of course, no clutch pedal. The new gearbox is very economical, infact I am using much LESS fuel in the new Civic than previously. It is a very easy system to use and I for one would recommend it without hestitation. The manual version of the new car has a six-speed gearbox (as does the i-Shift), and will obviously feel a little different as first with the extra gear. A good long test drive of both gearboxes is worthwhile for comparison, and once used to the i-Shift, I'm sure you would see the advantage of the system. Having said that, the first test drive I did with the i-Shift I didn't like it at all! I gave it another go two days later, and now more used to it, knew I had to have it. Its just a little odd when you first try it.

On the safety front there are now curtain airbags added and also Vehicle Stability Assist, rear disc brakes, active front headrestraints and a much better seatbelt waring system for the back passengers.

So all in all the new car is a massive improvement over the previous gen model. I have tried to be as objective and impartial as possible, but the new Civic really is that much better. The styling, specification, and the new gearbox make for a much nicer car than before.

Try it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 14:10
You're or your..........

Car: 630i
nice write up - should go in the wiki maybe ?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 14:15
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Cool

What do you think of the turning circle in the new civic compared to the previous model ??

I find my GF 05 Sport sometimes difficult to manoeuvre in car parks

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 14:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I forgot to mention that!!

The turning circle is a big improvement, the old car was like a juggernaut to turn!
Thanks to Wheelchair from:
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 14:19
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
I forgot to mention that!!

The turning circle is a big improvement, the old car was like a juggernaut to turn!
Phew - it isn't me then
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 14:39

Send a message via MSN to pricey0819
very good write up there mate, enjoyed reading it
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 14:50
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
A good write up.

Alloys and leather steering wheel do come in higher spec models as does a SatNav and Bluetooth system.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 14:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
A good write up.

Alloys and leather steering wheel do come in higher spec models as does a SatNav and Bluetooth system.
Indeed they do, but I'm doing a straight comparison so left that out.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 15:57
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
Indeed they do, but I'm doing a straight comparison so left that out.
Great writeup but you forgot to mention if your squeak / rattle is better in the new model or the older model
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 15:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

They are about the same!
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 17:44
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Wheely,carrying on your comparisons previous to current Civic;had the Type S and although I've now got the diesel Type S,comparing them I'd say the previous gen.had :

a firmer ride,no rattles or squeaks,more rear passenger space,really nice quality feel with half leather,rifle bolt gearchange,silent engine until 4k revs when it sounded like a wailing banshee (could be tiresome when overtaking having to drop into 3rd gear and hearing that everytime)

Engine was 157 bhp I-vtec, and the facelifted model did have traction control,stability control,and audio buttons on the steering wheel.Not sure if that model also included cruise.

I think with 16 inch wheels/wide tyres, at the right price could be a reliable motor for 'smoking' around in(used to redline mine regularly) which I rarely seem to do with the diesel
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 17:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Interesting to hear that you think the last gen had a firmer ride. I find the new one worse for that.

Maybe the old Type-S had different suspension settings to the SE.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 17:52
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Well done WC
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 17:54
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
I think It was just the Type S.You'd know about it pretty quickly taking a ride!(to be fair,it was'nt actually uncomfortable and seemed to 'soften' up at higher speeds)
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 18:32
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
I would go along with everything you have said, although coming from the previous generation civic too, I would like to add, for anyone changing, that there have been backwards steps, such as the following:

The paint used on the new generation is of inferior quality and is thinner than the previous generation, this can floor ownership due to easy chipping and scratching.

Secondly the new car is not built as well and although materials are easy on the eye and look good, they are not durable and sometimes are not adequate, for example, seat fabrics and interior trim/plastics.

Then there is the reliability factor, the old one was bomb proof, this new version still suffers from teething problems way into it's adult teeth!

The rattles are also terrible.

Running costs would also make an interesting comparison too.

IMO if honda matched the fantastic design and forward thinking with a proper build standard and better materials, we would have the perfect hatch.

For anyone looking to change from the previous generation to this one, bide your time and wait for the 09MY where maybe some issues will be ironed out.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 18:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I would have to say that the paint on my previous gen model was as bad as my new Civic. As for fuel costs, I am spending far less on fuel than I did on the old model.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 19:19
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Really, the paint was as bad? maybe they practised with the new paint on yours

Fuel efficiency and performance has no doubt been improved on, but by running costs I ment everything, fuel, tax, insurance, servicing, oh and more fuel for the constant ruddy trips to the dealers!

Overall I feel the new model IS an improvement over the old, BUT only in terms of appeal and design. Living with it certainly has more ups and downs, where the old one did everything well, this one makes me smile one day, and plan suicide the next.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 19:43

I agree with Mr JP, we have the old Type S and the New Type S GT. I think the old Type S is better 1. for paint work. 2. It has a space saver spare wheel not a can of air.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 20:46
Civic gone, not forgotten

Car: Pug 4007, 308CC, Clio dci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
Really, the paint was as bad? maybe they practised with the new paint on yours
JP, the paint from surveys the Grey paint appears more resiliant than Alabaster, NHB and especially Milano.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 15th September 2008, 20:47
Civic gone, not forgotten

Car: Pug 4007, 308CC, Clio dci
Great review.... I'll think I'll do my own....

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page