Civic 2.2 SE (1 year + 50,000 miles) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th October 2008, 22:29 Thread Starter
><((('> o O

Civic 2.2 SE (1 year + 50,000 miles)

Hi guys,

I've been on the website for a while and generally quite like my civic.
This is my company car, and coming from a ford, it's been amazing. I've been lucky enough to have been given the chance to change my car with a bit more of a budget, so i thought with the impending loss of the civic, it would be a good time to evaluate my year (and a few months) and 50,000 miles of motoring in my Honda!

Performance:
Had to start with the performance, and oh my word, what a diesel engine Honda have produced! Aside from the obvious pull through every gear and torque aplenty, i have not driven such a quiet and usable diesel before! It behaves more like a petrol than any other diesel i have driven in terms of the gearing. My old ford sounded like it was about to die if i dared to drop down to 30mpg in 5th, no probs in the Civ!
Putting your foot down, still have the same problem with any diesel where the power just gets less and less the more you get into the (lack of) revs, and then it's gear change time before you know it, but as long as you're using the gears and changes correctly, this car shifts! It's certainly embarrased a few 330's and GTi's that i have come across which is quite impressive when you consider that this is only 138hp!
Overall, the engine performs amazingly, every gear is so usable and is such a comfortable engine to drive.

Handling:
Well before i got the Civ, i had heard a few bad things about the handling, and also plenty more on this forum!
Personally, i think you're all crazy, this car handles incredibly! I suppose it depends what kind of handling you were expecting, but i find it very good in all cases. For a cruising car, i like the way that the suspension is quite stiff, but the damping is soft enough to eliminate most of the harshness of the ride. When your brain enters 'sport mode' is when this car is at home. You have to remember that this is a spacious family hatchback, but when the family is out of the car, you can through this thing around with a lot of abuse, and it just rares for more! It corners brilliantly, and even when you do get into trouble, it's very predictable and easy to control. The responsiveness and feel could be improved, but it's pretty direct and you always feel in control.
The only very important thing i would add is buy GOOD TYRES. After driving a collegues car, it's incredible the difference it makes having good or cheap tyres on the Civ. Treat it well!

Comfort and Practicality:
With comfort in mind, this car serves pretty well. I am a tall fellow at 6'3" but find the seating position perfect with the seat as low down as it will go and one click away from being right back. It's a little annoying i can't see the top of the rev counter as i like the wheel quite low as well, but i don't seem to look at it any more with the speedo where it is!
The alcantara seats are very comfortable and hold you in nicely without being too restrictive like a bucket seat. The only complaint would be that you can get 'sweaty back syndrome' after a long journey (over 1.5 hours)but i'm sure that happens in most cars.
The only other little comfort niggle would be that the arm rest on the door could use a bit more padding, it can be a bit harsh on girly elbows!
In terms of practicality, i really don't know where Honda have put everything structurally! There is so much cabing space, rear seat space, and what a boot, especially if you use the spare wheel recess. I have been in the accord which is a substantially bigger car, but the Civic actually has more room in all departments. What is especially impressive is the leg room in the back. Being fairly tall, i have always struggled getting people sat behind me without me needing to move the chair forward a little, but not any more! Even my brother who's 6'4" can comfortably fit behind me without sticking his knees through my back!
Again, the boot is very impressive. Being an engineer, i carry a lot of c**p in my boot, and getting the buggy, high chair etc usually meant emptying the boot first, but by using the wheel recess, it all just fits on top now!

Overall Impressions and new car?
Well as i said, i've been given the opportunity of a new car. The price limit was around £22k so i've been considering a few options. Honda Accord, BMW 318d, Audi A3 Sportback, Audi A4. The bottom line is, i'm having a very hard time choosing a different car because of the benchmark that the Civic has set. In actual fact, i am pretty much decided on another civic! Despite now being able to aim for a more expensive and 'better' car, i just don't think that they come a lot better until you start spending a considerable amount more.

So next car looks like being a Honda Civic 2.2 EX with some extra trimmings. I thought that as i like this car so much, i'll just stick with it, but upgrade so that i've got some nice cool gadgets to make what i thought was already a brilliant car, even better!

To sum up, if you are looking for a family hatchback and you can spend a bit more than a ford or vauxhall, it's got to be a honda!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th October 2008, 22:31

What a great review, well done!

I'm the same as you, in that I have the steering wheel as low as it goes, and the top of the rev counter is obscured as you say. I can read the computer screen though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th October 2008, 22:33 Thread Starter
><((('> o O
** Thread starter **

Yeah, computer screens all there, just the top of the rev counter and i can't see the VSA flash, or the headlight icons etc.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th October 2008, 22:52
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,110 Times in 830 Posts
Thumbs up Good review ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekwah1 View Post
Yeah, computer screens all there, just the top of the rev counter and i can't see the VSA flash, or the headlight icons etc.
And the right conclusion ... if I was changing my car soon, I'd be going for a "max. spec." Civic EX (as many extras as possible) ...

BUT, if that means you will be getting the 2009 'face-lift' model (complete with the drunken baboon's nostrils), then please get the back and front bumper \ grill from the Type S ! ...

And by the way, leather seats and 5-spoke alloys as well ...

p.s. - you could raise the steering wheel just a 'tad' ? ...

Last edited by J. Derek Riddell; 4th October 2008 at 22:53. Reason: the "p.s."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th October 2008, 22:55 Thread Starter
><((('> o O
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
And the right conclusion ... if I was changing my car soon, I'd be going for a "max. spec." Civic EX (as many extras as possible) ...

BUT, if that means you will be getting the 2009 'face-lift' model (complete with the drunken baboon's nostrils), then please get the back and front bumper \ grill from the Type S ! ...

And by the way, leather seats and 5-spoke alloys as well ...

p.s. - you could raise the steering wheel just a 'tad' ? ...
I totally agree about the new front. I'm not too happy about that, but i've got a couple of plans.

As for the front and back bumper from the type s, can you get them as an option? As it's a company car, i won't be able to change it from standard.

Leather seats i'm not too sure about. I like the whole leather smell in the car, but i don't fancy sliding around in the seat and sweating the whole time!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th October 2008, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
complete with the drunken baboon's nostrils
Have you had an unfortunant incident with a drunken baboon, JDR?

I'm sure they'd feel most aggrieved to think they're being sullied with a reputation as bad as the Civic's new nose job!

Just felt I had to take up the cause of the poor baboons, as drunk or not I doubt they'd be able to reply in person!

Last edited by Wheelchair; 4th October 2008 at 23:02.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th October 2008, 10:28
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Oh dear, they must have taken some styling cues from another Japanese manufactures family hatchback offering

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/any-non...spiration.html
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th October 2008, 10:32
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy69 View Post
Oh dear, they must have taken some styling cues from another Japanese manufactures family hatchback offering

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/any-non...spiration.html
LOL did you search for baboon?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th October 2008, 10:36
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
LOL did you search for baboon?
No, I searched for Auris, as I couldn't remember which primate it looked like
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 6th October 2008, 15:51

Quote:
Leather seats i'm not too sure about. I like the whole leather smell in the car, but i don't fancy sliding around in the seat and sweating the whole time!
You won't slide about and the leather is actually more supportive. The padding on the armrests are better too.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 6th October 2008, 15:55
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
50K you must be driving day and nite
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 6th October 2008, 16:13
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,110 Times in 830 Posts
Wink Luxury ...

Quote:
....... Leather seats i'm not too sure about. I like the whole leather smell in the car, but i don't fancy sliding around in the seat and sweating the whole time!
No sliding, no sweating, just increased comfort and reduced cabin noise ! (the leather provides significantly more 'acoustic dampening' than the existing fabric does) ...

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page