1.4 SE i-Shift. First three months of ownership. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 24th October 2008, 16:04 Thread Starter

Exclamation 1.4 SE i-Shift. First three months of ownership.

Well I've had the car three months now, here are my thoughts and experiences.....

First off, the car has gone back to the dealer three times, and there's a fourth time on the horizon when the correct part is in. Its only been minor faults, and the remote locking is working properly since the dealer changed the battery in the remote. (Which had worn out after just two months!)

The rattles are getting better, there's a new one on the windscreen that has yet to be solved, but the passenger door is now silent, much improved from before. The dash still has another intermittant rattle that's yet to be found, but at least that doesn't appear too often.

With regard to stone chips, I don't seem to have gained anymore than I had after the first week or so of ownership. Not quite sure why that should be but I'm glad its not got any worse.

The driving of the Civic still puts a big grin on my face, it seems the novelty will not wear off quickly! The i-Shift is a delight to use, although my fuel economy has taken a slight dip with my 5000rpm revving before flicking the fabulous paddles! The blue light in the ceiling lights up the shift lever very nicely too. Mine seems to be quite bright.

The performance from the 1.4 combined with the i-Shift is much better than the official figures would have you believe, its not the slouch you would think it is. Granted, its no CTR, but it is more than enough for me and the economy is very good too. Having driven larger engined cars in the past I would say the little 1.4 does an admirable job. Its no problem when keeping up with traffic on the motorway either. It feels more like a 1.6 litre engine.

I'm still finding the much debated rear spoiler no problem whatsoever. It cuts out the glare from following cars headlights, and is proving no problem at all when parking. The bottom section of the screen does not mist up either, even when the top half does. So at least I can still see out of the rear window.

The headlights are much brighter than the previous model and this is making night driving far easier and much more relaxing on my eyes. It does suprise me that people talk about changing the headlights as I think they are excellent, but I suppose there is always room for improvement.

The stereo's weak bass is now better thanks to a handy tip from a fellow member. By turning down the front speakers by two notches, the bass quality seems much better. The sound from the speakers is still nowhere near as good as the last gen Civic, but the MP3 and WMA playback along with the steering wheel controls more than make up for this in my view.

One handy thing to note about Galaxy Grey is that dirt is well hidden! I looked at the car close-up in the sun and its covered in dust and dirt that used to show up on my NHB Civic, but its almost impossible to see with Galaxy Grey! Dead handy for me as its never washed, wish I could say the same for Amber's hairs on the inside!

Other people's reactions to the car are still along the lines of utter amazement. Even without the alloy wheels, the design of the car does look very smart, shame the Blades are not standard though. Everyone comments on the Galaxy Grey colour too. Frankly I'm a little suprised at this, but its the first thing everyone says, how much they like the colour!

I'm also getting more used to the suspension, even though I wish Honda would soften it in future. It may be ok on a CTR, but a 1.4 SE really does not need such a stiff setup.

Summing up I would have to say that my last gen Civic which I had for three years from new, never once went back to the dealer, which doesn't show the current Civic in such a good light. However, I bought the Civic knowing it had its little problems, and its nice to see a genuinely new design of car these days. The positives far outway the negatives. I'm sure I will continue to enjoy the car over the coming months, and will no doubt spot many more delightful things about it.

It really is a fantastic car! (and at least its not got that awful new grill!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 24th October 2008, 16:11
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Good write up there, glad to see that even with your little niggles your still loving the car. I'm sure that it will all be good in the end.

Must have taken you ages to put that together tho, its quite an essay. Thats why you've been quite eh?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 24th October 2008, 16:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The thing is that if I bought another make of car, I would still have niggles and a boring car. Best off with the Civic, and its very reliable too.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 24th October 2008, 16:17
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
The thing is that if I bought another make of car, I would still have niggles and a boring car. Best off with the Civic, and its very reliable too.
Indeed. You will never find the perfect car. Even something handbuilt will have a little niggle. I've heard of mechanics being put in the boot of bentleys to find a rattle that someone could hear from the back whilst driving.

You like the car and thats the main thing
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 24th October 2008, 23:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4m View Post
You like the car and thats the main thing
I certainly do!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th October 2008, 11:21
Supporter

Garage
Glad your still enjoying the civic despite the minor problems

Do you know what the dealer has been doing to fix the rattles and squeaks ?

I would recommend dynamat extreme in the doors as a cheap and easy way to improve the bass (no wiring, no subs, no amps, no new speakers involved)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th October 2008, 11:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The dealer has done quite a bit so far,

They have suggested that a new air vent is needed on the passenger side, I must admit I thought it rattled, but its hard to tell.

They have also sprayed the clips on the cowling around the speedo with silicone and removed the lugs on the clips that were rubbing against the top of the windscreen. Apparantly the screen location clips were touching the roof skin.

The brackets and clips behind the passenger door card have also been padded. That rattle was constant, that's now better.

I'm alot happier with the speaker's sound now, and as I don't own the car I shall probably leave it as it is.

Its a great car, its a shame Honda wont be making it for longer than they do.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th October 2008, 19:57

Good to know about the rear spoiler, i wondered if it had a reason for being in a retarded place.. apparently it does :P

And for the bass you can get an amp/sub(ina box)/wiring kit from caraudiosecurity for about 80. It might even fit in the hidden boot space
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th October 2008, 23:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I find the rear spoiler no problem when reverse parking either.

Thanks for the audio tip, but I think I will leave the car as it is, I don't own it so I'm loathe to spend any money on it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th October 2008, 23:17

Its only 80 and you can easily take it out if you dont put the wiring through anything... just tuck it around/under the seats.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th October 2008, 23:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'm a meanie!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 26th October 2008, 11:06
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
I'm a meanie!

Thats the reason for the look on the dogs face then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 26th October 2008, 11:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Oh I could never be mean to her!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 26th October 2008, 18:05

Sory to bump a dead thread, just had a thought about a similar problem i had with my current Punto to begin with... there was no bass atall then i got a good head unit and now i dont even need a sub

Hope that helped? :P
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 26th October 2008, 18:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks, but I will stick with the Honda unit. (for better or worse!)

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page