Civic Type R #10929. One Year Review. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2008, 15:03 Thread Starter

Civic Type R #10929. One Year Review.

Just thought I’d pencil down my thoughts of my CTR after a year of owning one and covering 24k miles.

First impressions when I got the car were, “wow this thing has road presence, everyone move out my way I have a space ship!”

I will start off with what I don’t like and then the stuff that I do like about the car.

1. The paintwork.

I have so many paint chips it’s unbelievable. I came from an Audi A3 and after two and half years of owning that and with nearly 70k miles on the clock. It did not have many stone chips. It seems like that the Honda paint is so thin that even when you wash the car you have to make sure that you don’t press too hard with the sponge. Or else you will leave marks on your car. Honda invest in some better paint or more give us more layers of paint.

2. The sound system.

The sound system IMO sucks. I read on here that you need to bed the speakers in and give that time. But a year is more than enough to do this. My previous Ford Focus had better speakers and better stereo and that was factory fitted. Ford use the Sony sound system in their cars. The mid range bass in the focus was amazing, and I never felt the need to upgrade any of the speakers. Same goes for the A3 that I owned, that had the standard not the Bose system. That had better sound quality than the Honda system.

3. 198bhp

The CTR could have come with more power under the bonnet, we all know that this is possible. I would have loved more power but Honda opted not to give us more. Next generation CTR Honda give us 220+ bhp please? Small gripe, but I love the car nonetheless.

4. No Championship White colour

When I got my car a year ago Championship White was not available so I went for the next best colour; Night Hawk Black the fastest colour out there. I am disappointed that the CW CTR will now be available. Will I chop my NHB for the CW? Nope…

That is all from the negatives. There aren’t many but if Honda gave me better paint or even a better sound system with thumping bass like the Ford system. I would most definitely be a happier bunny.

Positives

1. The Engine.

The 2.0 I-VTEC engine is a peach to drive! I absolutely love it. The engine now at 24K is much more fluid and smoother than say at 1k miles when fully run in. After the first service at 12.5k miles the fuel economy has got better too. This probably was due to change of oil or the air or oil filter. But I most definitely have seen a big difference. Here the sound system gets cancelled out as I just turn that down to listen to the engine and exhaust note! (But I still would like a better sound system).

2. The styling

Now the Civic is a marmite car. You either love the spaceship or you hate the spaceship! There is no in between. But it is defiantly a grower…some of my friends who hated it when I got it now love it and it has grown on them. But to me I loved the way the CTR looked when I first saw it and to this day I love it.

3. Rage alloys

IMO these look so much better than the standard 18” alloys. I am so glad that I opted for these rather than getting the sat nav. I bought a tom tom instead and I find that it does the job well. The rages do set the car off.

4. Handling

I love the way this car goes around corners. Some of the corners I take I used to poo myself in my A3. But with the CTR I can take the same corner with more speed, I amaze myself each time.

5 The Dash

I really love the way the dash curves, the way everything is curved towards the doors. Getting back into an A3 or a Focus makes their dash dated. One thing I don’t like about the dash is the digital speedo, this makes me not want to speed as it shows me an accurate-ish figure of my speed! This is a good thing as it makes me stay to the legal speeds limits most of the time! Plus the buzz that I get from seeing a needle spin from left to right has gone…this is the only thing I don’t like.

Conclusion

Over long journeys the car does become tiresome, this depends on what kind of road or motorway you are driving on. For me the M40 is nightmare to drive on and I try to avoid that motorway if I have to. The M1 is better and smoother road and I enjoy my runs on that motorway.

If you bought this car to have economy then I doubt you will get any good figures. The best I achieved was 37mpg recently and that was driving around like an OAP on the M40.

There are other small things that I don’t like about the car then again no car is perfect and never will be. I have some gripes with the car but they are not serious enough for me to sell up. I love the way the car goes, handles, and looks. Some things for me have come a bit too late and it’s a shame really, e.g. CW CTR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (49.7 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg side 2.jpg (54.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (57.9 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by MoMatic; 23rd November 2008 at 15:08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2008, 15:15
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Great review.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2008, 15:17

Excellent and well written review.

Well Done!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2008, 17:19
Supporter

Garage
Good review.

I also love the way the car goes, handles, and looks. A few gripes to fix are part of the fun for me - ie FRS and sound system upgrade. The dodgy paint is unacceptable though, but I have been luckier than you as my silver paint is not too bad.

Are you happy with the suspension ?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2008, 18:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro View Post
Good review.

I also love the way the car goes, handles, and looks. A few gripes to fix are part of the fun for me - ie FRS and sound system upgrade. The dodgy paint is unacceptable though, but I have been luckier than you as my silver paint is not too bad.

Are you happy with the suspension ?
Well I have made a few mods, added Rick's light's, Ger's Type R light, added the decals and front badge, all things that make the car more personalised. But to upgrade the system I have to pay someone else to do this as I know nothing about electrics.

The suspension I don't mind..yes it's firm, but I can live with it. I don't realise how firm the suspension is until I have a passenger. The passengers seem to moan especially if you have a woman who is top heavy! Usually I try to stay away from back road and try to stay on main roads. If only I can avoid the M40 that would be ideal!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2008, 19:50
Supporter

I've done about the same mileage as MoMatic and only have one stone chip that I picked up in the first 500 miles (and I heard it when it happened).

Certainly some colours seem to suffer far worse than others. Alabaster Silver (my colour) seems better than most. Though I think Topcat would probably disagree!

Nice review though!

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page