Been on this forum now for a while and i thought i would share my joys and pains with my honda civic.
Honda's have been in my family for quite some time. My dad owned a Honda Prelude and also an Accord, both models were pre 1990 so dont really have much to do with the newer models, but still they were rock solid cars. The old accord had a few 'issues' at the end of its live but all in all it was a good car. Cant really comment on the prelude as i was still *******g my pants at that time
After i turned 16 i had the luck of getting my granddad's 20+ year old honda camino ( a red one,lol) and i absolutely loved that baby, for more then five years i drove on it and it took my everywere. Ride comfort was a 100%, reliabilty was a bit less impressive but that could have been down to me just driving that everywhere, even were there was no road
Now back to the present...
Septembre 2007 and after my first year of work i wanted my own car, i had my mind set up on buying a small, second hand car. I looked everywhere to find something i liked but couldnt find what i needed so i decided to see if my honda dealer had some offers. Thats when i first saw my car standing in the showroom, boy it was love at first sight, those lines, that color, the alloys...
But i needed a second hand one and the dealer had nothing so off i went...
Octobre 2007 and i was still without a vehicle and after a lot of thinking, i decided to go for a Type-S. Back to the dealer and i was lucky, the car that was in the showroom was now the testcar with only 2160 km on the clock. I took two testdrives in it and just after getting in the car i had made up my mind.
I just looked and sat so brilliant, during driving i was very much checking out everything as i hate rattles in a car but it had NONE whatsoever. It was my dreamcar and for 19100 euro it was mine with free honda floormats and a gps system. Two weeks later all the papers were in order and i could pick up the car.
November 2007, the car was mine, i felt like a little boy again and for the next month the car was a dream. Every excuse was good enough to take the car and it had no problems at all.
December 2007, on a morning i start the car and i get an error concerning my airbags, OUCH, i didnt like it. The car had also developped an annoying creak in the rear shocks and the front bumper was out of alignment on the left. I contacted my dealer and the car was booked in. Apparantly the error was a faulty crash impact sensor, the shocks needed some extra grease and the front support beam of the bumper needed replacement. Everyting was done under warranty and it was all good again for about three weeks. Then the creaking shocks at the back started coming back and rattles were starting to pop up everywhere and the bumper was again out of alignment, i was not a happy at all
After a lot of hassle , the car was booked in again and it was all fixed again, except for the trillion rattles which were driving me mad at some point
All these things however were nothing compared to the next fault that occured, my gearbox started to have a live of its own. Poping out of gear, not able to select second gear, i was seriously pissed off and again the car was booked in, they checked the gearbox and said they made some minor adjustments but it was no use, the problem was still there and even after another visit to the dealer it is still there. Untill today i still experience issues with the gearbox but i have to be honest that it is a lot less that in the beginning, maybe running in??
I also had the handrake recall, new shocks in the front and new subframe at the front, that was obliged by honda but i NEVER had a problem with that but my dealer still decided on changing it.
Now these are just the bad points and issues i had with the car, but it DOES have good points.
1. The seating position and comfort, i find this very important in a car and the civic is spot on with the adjustable steering, seat and just overall positioing of both, VERY good
2. The dashboard, i just LOVE it, a digital speedometer is just so much more convenient, the large rev counter just looks the bomb
The buttons i find are also very well placed. In the beginning i do needed some time to adjust but now i'm used to it and it rocks
3. The engine, on my first test drive i had never driven a 140 BHP n/a petrol engine so i had to get used to it. In the lower rpm's it does lack a bit of torque and if you forget about you can get caught out on surprise and sometimes leaves you standing with just not enough power available. Now however, i am used to it and if you need the power, just stay in a lower gear. The engine is unbelievable smooth at high revs and above 4000 rpm, its a rocket, no denying in that
Fuel consumption is somewhat higher than i expected, motorway its around 7L/100 km and in town its 9L/100 km, In my 14 months i averaged 8,8 L /100 km, not that impressive but a part of that surely is to blaim on my right foot.
Oil consumption is pretty good, i check once a month and have only needed to fill up with 200 mL, after the one year service the oil has also been replaced.
4. The space available, JEEEEEZ this car has sooooo much space, a lot of passenger have commented on the rear seats to be very comfortable and a lot of leg room available. Front passengers however have said that because of the dash layout getting in the car is a bit of a hassle, especially for long legged people, they always hit their knees at the edgy point sticking out, luckily i am never a passenger in my own car
. The boot is also very impressive, with the seats folded down it can EASILY accomodate two mountainbikes, a tent, luggage for two and supplies for a few days and then there is still loads of space left.
5. The looks, you love it or you hate it, i def LOVE it, nothing more to add
To conclude, after the initial problems and hassle, i was a bit unhappy with the car but now i'm loving my spaceship again. Most of the rattles are gone except for two and for two months now, the car has had no problems (i'll probably regret saying this, hehe). Guess i'll shut up for now
grtz and i hope the reviews is usefull