10,000 Mile Report - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 00:22 Thread Starter

Thumbs up 10,000 Mile Report

I have just read CatherineJ's 3,000 mile report and thought I would follow up with my own (currently at 10,000 miles). Sorry for shamelessly ripping your outline, it just seems to be the best way. Maybe some higher-mileage drivers can rinse-and-repeat?

I collected my Type-S GT Diesel, 12th November 2008, Littlehampton Honda.

Collection

When I arrived the collect my car, it was sat on the forecourt with a "sold" sticker on the windscreen. The dealer staff were very confused as to who I was and I why I was there. Needless to say, the car wasn't ready and I was sat in the dealer for almost three hours while they put it through the workshop.

In the meantime, I was sent on my way with documents down to the local post office to sort out my own tax.

Unimpressed.

Post Purchase Follow Up

I was given the run around by the dealer chased the V5 cherished-plate transfer for my part-exchange. Other than that, nothing from Honda UK / dealer.

Warranty Work

So far so good, I have not been back into a dealer with any critical to report. However, for the first service next week, I have asked them to look at the following:

Clonking front suspension
Loose panel in front of Radio / HFT / Nav screen
Tapping noise near top of windscreen at high speed

Other Faults/Niggles

Nothing really to report. My car previously was a 2006 Golf GTI ... with very precise handling. The handling on this is very "wishy washy", especially around roundabouts and had a certain tendancy to understeer heavily.

Fuel Consumption

Very unimpressed with the fuel consumption. Running normal diesel, anything from 40.3 - 41.5. HOWEVER, running BP Ultimate, this is turning into 43.6 - 44.5. Not so bad, but paying a premium at the pumps.

Modifications

Nil.

Likes/Dislikes

I like it, simply put. The metallic orange colour combined with dark wheels turns heads. It's comfortable and feels firmly planted on motorways. My only real dislikes are the handling, sometimes the suspension on very uneven roads, and the turning circle (or lack thereof).

Consumables

So far used one litre Castrol Edge. As mentioned previously, very frugal with washer fluid and seems to have a very big tank for this compared to VW. Tyre wear, especially on Michelin Pilot Sport after 10,000 miles, is looking very good also. Based on current wear, they are good for at least another 10,000.

Would I recommend to a Friend

Probably, although though are many similar cars in the marketplace to explore at this price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 02:16

An honest view, well done.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 07:10
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great Review

Honest and fair - a shame your dealer was not the best when you got it

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 12:20
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Very good and honest review.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 13:54

How much extra is Ultimate Diesel? I calculate you are getting about 7% of an increase in consumption.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 21:06
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 EX 5 door
Interesting review. Seems to quite a divergence in mpg on the diesels. My experience is that the typical 4-cylinder turbodiesel as a breed is most economical around at 2000rpm, which I think is about 73mph in the Civic. My pet theory is that people who cruise above this speed on the motorway, or just love revving it because of the sheer pull, get the 40mpg or below results.

When I had a 2.2 for the weekend as a test-drive I thought it could actually have been made a little higher-geared in 6th, so that it could cruise at nearer 80mph at 2000rpm. There certainly seemed to be enough torque to cope, unlike the BMW 118d I tried which had the opposite problem - too highly geared. This is presumably necessary to achieve the published combined mpg figure, which is almost impossible to achieve in the real world.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 21:10
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 EX 5 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineJ View Post
How much extra is Ultimate Diesel? I calculate you are getting about 7% of an increase in consumption.
I had a look at PetrolPrices.com and it seems to be about 7p more per litre than normal BP (which is often quite pricey in my experience). That just happens to be about 7% more if you assume regular diesel is around 99.9p.

That means you break even on cost, and presumably benefit if you find it smoother and/or quieter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 22nd February 2009, 22:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Most "normal" diesel around Crawley / Horsham is around 99.9p. BP Ultimate / Shell V-Power Diesel is running around the 105.9p mark. However, at BP (currently), premium is 4p a litre more than the regular stuff.

With diesel being roughly 1 / litre, users would get a 3% saving running on premium fuels, if we follow CatherineJ's mathematics?

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page