2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

700 Mile review 1.8 Type S

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  robbo51 
#1 ·
So after 3 weeks of ownership, i have decided
to write up a small review on how my type s
is treating me.

When i recieved the car, i couldnt have been happier.
However there are a couple of things that are niggling
me, the first of which is a vibrating loud noise that lives
in the glove box whenever im in a high gear at around 30mph, put my foot down and it sounds hurrendous! it
actually sounds like an old man's bones are rattling away.

Apart from that though, the car is faultless. This being my second car, and previously owned a 1.4 peugeot 206. The power and torque increase has took a while to get used too, with double the power from my peugeot, the usually revving i had to do in the old car is no longer needed in the type s. However it is a pleasure to do so when the moments right :D.

The handling is sharp and composed, even when you begin to lose grip your reletively safe in the knowledge that the vsa will come to save you. Engine wise, the 1.8 vtech lump is a brilliant compromise between fuel economy and performance. My friends continue to be stunned by the cars get up after 4000 revs.

It is the little touches however that set the civic out in my opinion better than the rest. The economy lights and rev lights give long and usually tedious journeys a good kicking up the rear end. My mind is often split between getting all the green lights up constantly too flooring it and seeing the orange rev lights. This combined with the civics space age dash with digital dials, no self respecting car enthusiast can deny its an exciting place to be.

To my amazement, it has been the practical attributes to the civic that has impressed me the most. The boot space is large enough to swallow south africa, while the so called 'magic seats' give an easy and ingenius solution to needing extra space. The bottle holder in the rear doorcards have become such a hit with my friends that i am often finding the odd beer bottle slyly hidden away in the back. However, the one practical issue i have with the civic is the infamous front seat mechanism. Why o why havent honda sorted this since the launch in 2006? i often have people in the back and while yes to my own admition having a 5 door civic would have solved this problem. The allure of a type s with all the trimmings is something this 20 year old couldnt pass up.

With regards to the ride, when i initially had a test drive in the type s, i was bowled over by how comfortable it was. I was expecting to need medical attention after the drive but the ride coupled with the magnificantly comfortable suede seats impressed more than i had ever imagined. However and again it seems my negativity is becoming the norm, the ride for my rear passengers is crashy at best, especially at relatively slow speeds.

Overall though i am totally in love with my type s. I am also safe in the knowledge that prior to buying my car, i had looked at every conceiveable option before deciding on the type s. For my age, insurance, tax, performance and general running costs, it is the best car i could have picked.

Thanks for reading

Lee

See less See more
#4 ·
Fast as ever wheel chair, your an absolute beast!

Yea me and my friend thought we found what it was...

possibly the fan (air vent) thing in the glovebox

when we have hit it, it seems to have stopped.

if i took it too honda would they fix that under warranty?

#6 ·
Ok great thanks :D

#8 ·
Hi chris,

well its even better now than it was after 700miles

The few niggles regarding the dash and glovebox noises have
pretty much disappeared.

The only problem now is cleaning the interior, is it just me
or does it get dirty really quick? especially the dash.

But yea still performing brilliant and the fuel economy seems
to have improved, regularly getting 46mpg average on half decent runs which to be honest is great (especially as im skint)

Must admit one thing though, I know this could be controversal but since i am skint, Iv been putting normal unleaded in and comparing that to the few times i put super unleaded in, i can notice the difference, it isnt huge, but without super, it feels less responsive especially at lower revs. But hey that will be resolved soon with money.

Lee

#9 ·
Lee, good to hear that your niggles have pretty much disappeared and that's good economy for a petrol with so few miles on the clock. I'm afraid the dash is a bit of a dust magnet and does need a regular wipe with a micro fibre cloth (ideally). The problem with the regular wipe is that this creates even more scratches in the piano black sections of the dash! I'm converting mine to the Type R dash sections early in May.

Hope the money supply improves so you can have a bit more fun with the car.

#11 ·
Yea cheers chris and HappyMan

regarding the dash and cleaning it, made a bit of a **** up yesterday cleaning it.

I forgot i had a microfibre cloth and cleaning the dash with normal tesco car cleaning
dash wipes (which are good) but has left streaks all over the dials console bit.

And trying to get rid of streaks with microfibre cloth isnt working.....any advice to
get rid?

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.