Civic 2.2 ES - First Impressions - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 28th March 2009, 17:15 Thread Starter

Car: BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 218
Civic 2.2 ES - First Impressions

Okay, picked up the car this morning - First impressions (note that previous car was a Honda FR-V):

Behind the wheel:
Took a little bit to find the optimum position so I could see easily all of the primary displays without having to move my head. Once I did get there everything was fine except that the lights stalk in particular is mostly obscured by the wheel making it a bit awkard to select an appropriate setting (heavy rain this morning requiring the use of lights on the dual carriegeway). I suspect that after a few days driving this will not be an issue.

Everything lines up well - wheel, seat and pedals so I found driving the Civic to be more naturally comfortable than the FRV, especially as the Civic seats are larger and more supportive. Clutch is nice and light so heavy traffic is likely to be less of a problem.

Visibility:
Coming from an FRV the view from the driving position is a little lower in the road but general all-round visibility was not an issue; even content with the view out the back as the mirrors more than compensate for the restrictions caused by the spoiler and small rear window. Again coming from an FRV frontal vision viz-a-viz the A piller is an improvement and so not an issue.

Driving:
Very nimble, except for the turning circle which is, surprisingly, twice that of the FRV. The car turns in to corners very readily and I had to compensate a bit to avoid turning in to soon - something that will come naturally after a day or two. Feel from steering and throttle was better than I expected and more than adequate.

The car 'feels' sporty and sits very well on the road so in addition to the fun factor it feels like a safe car to live with.

Ride:
Better than the FRV - a more compliant ride; actually softer going over speed bumps and absolutely no problem on some rough and decidedly windey local B roads - at speeds of up to 60mph. Not as harsh as the FRV over a range of pot holes I picked as a before and after test.

Road noise:
No worse than the FRV and in many respects better - to ears attuned to what was a pretty noisy environment previously (engine excepted) the Civic aint half bad.

Cabin:
Kids loved the cabin, the panoramic roof in particular making it feel surprisingly light and airy given the size of the car. Storage areas a bit small in places, e.g. door pockets but the storage space beneath the bank seats will be a bonus for those in the back, especially the girls!

Now the only negative bit; I had the garage install my xcarlink prior to picking the car up, and you've guessed it... my dashboard has more creaks than Jonathan. The sound is truly terrible, this may be as a result of having the dashboard disassembled to install the xcarlink or it may be coincidence; either way it is completely unacceptable. Anyway I'll be visiting the dealer next Friday morning to let them have a look at it. I'm not having a rant at this stage (the information given on this forum is warning enough) provided of course that the cabin becomes the quiet and harmonious place it's meant to be.

So extraneous creaks excepted I like the Civic enormously (good job really) and I'm looking forward to up to 4 years of ownership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 28th March 2009, 18:07
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Congratulations on getting the car

What a great review and glad to hear you are liking the car. The panoramic roof really does make the car feel a lot bigger than it really is and I love it in mine. I hardly ever close the blinds, even in the winter as I love the extra feeling of space it gives.

I hope you get the creaks sorted next Friday

Have you added any photo's yet?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 28th March 2009, 20:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 218
No photos yet - weather not good and car now dirty. Colour is Champagne Silver which is horribly close to the colour of next door's Renault Megane; still it could be worse at least it isn't a Megane.

I'll write a further review when I've had a chance to do the work run, plus a bit of extra travelling to Woodbrige and then Norwich mid-week (someone has to ). As is often the case my review will be coloured by my recent driving experiences, e.g. the FRV in comparison to which the Civic bears little resemblence and is in many ways far superior. I dare say that if I had arrived at the Civic from say a BMW 5 series then my comments would be somewhat different.

One thing I will say though, regardless of the previous car, who on earth thought that the shiny plastic around the primary displays was a good thing? It wouldn't be so bad if the material was any good. Having poked and prodded a bit I think that much of the output of the creak orchestra is coming from that area.

Last edited by chrishunt; 28th March 2009 at 20:35. Reason: Drastic reduction in numbers - 500 to 5 :-o

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page