2.2 es - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th April 2009, 22:28 Thread Starter

Car: BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 218
2.2 es

Having done almost 800 miles in two weeks I thought that I would provide a more considered view of the Civic; albeit one that is only useful to non Civic owners.

In the cabin.
First the good - extremely spacious although forget seating 5 adults for anything other than short journeys. Managed to get two full sized road bikes in middle of the car with the back seats folded up - a definate bonus. Also good - the switch gear falls easily to hand and has a nice feel, and I like the headlight leveler being in a place easy to see/use (better than fumbling around beneath the dash as in the FR-V). Line-up between seat, dash and pedals is good with no stresses or strains; clutch, break and throttle are light with enough feel to let you know what your feet are doing without risk of RSI. Insrumentation is good and clear and tells you what you need to know at a glance. The focus on engine revs is interesting and hints strongly at a "drivers" car - more on that later. On board computer has plenty of useful functions that are easy to access.

Now the not so good - dust magnet or what! The shiny bits just love the dust and need cleaning regularly. Glove box that doesn't lock - I can only assume that Honda clearly believe that no-one will ever break into a Civic so a locking glovebox is not required (try telling that to the insurers).

Now the bad - piano black inserts in dash; presumably a wiz idea in design but a crime that the accountants that put the components together went for the cheapest material they could get. Looks great until you shine a direct light on them (tip when viewing a car take a powerful torch) when the many tiny scratches create an image more to do with LSD than LED.

Viewing the outside world.
When not looking at the 3D effect of the instrumentation the view of the outside world isn't bad at all (although this may depend on where you happen to be at the time - grotty part of Birmingham or Lake District ). You may/will have heard about rear window visibility but in truth this is no worse than many cars where there is an increasing trend toward the letter box rear window. Certainly the rear spoiler does divide opinion (and the view out the rear) but importantly it does not completely obscure the rear view and with the large door mirrors it is largely a non-issue. The view foward is good with a "cab forward" position the fairly thick A pillors aren't a significant hinderance although you may have to move your head around a bit in some situations.

Practicality.
Having recently accomodated the lost tribe of the Incas in the space beneath the boot it is fair to say that, for a car of its size, the Civic is capable of swallowing a fair amount of stuff; either in the aforementioned boot with the seats up, seats down or in the boot and middle with the rear seat bases in the raised position. You get the feeling that if Dr Who had first been made in 2006 the Tardis might have looked more like a Civic.

Driving it.
As previously mentioned everything in the cabin lines up nicely so it is easy to get comfortable and well-adjusted (unless, of course, you have had a cr*p childhood - quick nod to Freud). Put the key in turn it to the first, second and non-existant third position before remembering that you have to reach over and press the button and you're ready to go. The 2.2 diesel is a particularly fine engine; not that quiet in the Civic but not one to cause the ear drums to bleed either. The initial impression is wow - this is great, and mostly it really is, it's a great car to drive - in this version, powerful, plenty of pull and very secure on the road. But... the electric steering - on fast A roads and motorways not a problem at all, but on twisty A roads and B roads the steering is too vague to be fun; the weight is fine it's just the direction it's supposed to be going in that requires constant minor adjustments (nothing to do with the road surface here). It's the electric steering that really lets it down as a drivers car - it makes you feel as though where you are telling it to go is always transmitted through an intermediary rather than directly to the wheels.

The ride.
On roads that are designed for heavy and fast traffic mostly not a problem at all (e.g. good A roads, trunk roads & motorways). On some of the roads where I live it becomes a bit of a trial - wakes you up a bit at 06:00 and it will spill the coffee if you are stupid enough to be drinking while you are driving. The suspension is not at all keen on concrete roads; gives a good impression of a car that's drunk far too much caffiene.

Economy.
I haven't checked the oil yet so I don't know if the car is sipping or slurping it. I have tried to run it in in the manner suggested by those that know so hopefully all will be well in that direction. With respect to diesel I am returning 49/50 mpg per tank so that is a definate plus point and with only 700 miles covered so far. Current tank has done over 400 miles which is new territory for me so all to the good.

Summary.
The Civic is more of a Curate's egg than a Curate's egg - brilliant in parts but pretty cr*p in others. It feels like it was designed by a genious but built by accountants. For my circumstances where interior space is important its pluses outweigh the minuses. Notwithstanding the steering and interesting suspension, it's good (fun) to drive and very responsive; the interior is mostly very good and overall interior space is excellent; everything seems to work very well (even the much maligned ICE).

Bottom line.
Am I happy with the car... a qualified YES!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th April 2009, 17:33
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 Champagne
Hi Chris,
Interesting and comprehensive report there. Generally agree on most points, but I like the electric steering now i'm used to it. No oil used as yet 39XX miles.
Documented elsewhere on forum, I had to bend the headrest bars a little for comfort, lumbar support not good, seat back ratchet not good, but last 2 liveable with.
People and vehicles all slightly different!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th April 2009, 12:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Jimm. I have no problems with the seats but as you say people are all different.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th April 2009, 14:13

Send a message via Skype™ to rmilanovic
Hi to all...
Few words about oil and civic 2.2 diesel...
I done the first service at 2.000km (becuse 12month pass off -he was in saloon with 0km almoust 11months)..and after the first service, he start to 'drink' oil...
On 1.000km almoust 1l of oil.Interesting that Honda put,on first service, Shell oil 5w-40.
And now, after 5.000km and few liters of adding oil, they agree to put different oil, special for cars with DPF inside (special filter inside)...The oil that I wait (the car is right now at Honda parking) is Honda 0w-30...
I wait to pick up my car, and see (and inform you ofcourse) is any better after changing that oil..

Thanks guy's...
R
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th April 2009, 19:04
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 Champagne
Engine oil

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines...oil-usage.html

Hi RM - see above link.
I think there was another more specific thread over the past 3 months about what sort of oil is used in engines, but I'm sorry, I can't find it.

Maybe you could try a search of the forum...............you'll find stuff of interest anyway, but good luck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 13th April 2009, 23:37

Thanks Jimm...Tommorow I will collect my car from Honda service.See what they will say to me and test it..The best thing is to check by myself...I hope the best.
Thanks any way Jimm...
I will keep inform if problem stay...
Thanks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th April 2009, 13:10

2.2 es review

Thanks for the honest balanced review Chris. It makes me feel much more confident to pick up my new 2.2 EX later this week as I did get a few 'jitters' after reading the reviews of people who have sold theirs and said 'goodbye' to Honda due to quality and mechanical issues!

I currently own a Mazda6 2.3 sport (06 model) with all the 'toys' and it is a huge wrench for me to change over from that manufacturer as I've been with them for over 7yrs with no issues whatsoever so you can understand my fears when reading the myriad of issues Honda civic owners are highlighting on this site!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th April 2009, 14:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

No problem. There are other very good and balanced reviews of the Civic which all help to build up an overall positive picture.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th April 2009, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilanovic View Post
Hi to all...
Few words about oil and civic 2.2 diesel...
I done the first service at 2.000km (becuse 12month pass off -he was in saloon with 0km almoust 11months)..and after the first service, he start to 'drink' oil...
On 1.000km almoust 1l of oil.Interesting that Honda put,on first service, Shell oil 5w-40.
And now, after 5.000km and few liters of adding oil, they agree to put different oil, special for cars with DPF inside (special filter inside)...The oil that I wait (the car is right now at Honda parking) is Honda 0w-30...
I wait to pick up my car, and see (and inform you ofcourse) is any better after changing that oil..

Thanks guy's...
R
Yesterday I picked up my car...And first day passed very well..But today , some other drivers told me that big smoke from time to time came from back of the car.
And interesting ,in the same time I was in neutral, and moving downhill only with brake at 10km/h speed...and notice that in the same time that the momentarily consumption of fuel was 20litres per 100km...---and I was in neutral!!!! No acceleration.....
Is any advice, before tommorow , when I would go to Honda.
Thanks,
R

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page