2009 Civic 1.4 100hp - First impressions - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th April 2009, 02:42 Thread Starter

2009 Civic 1.4 100hp - First impressions

I never got to drive the 83hp 1.4 but I have the new 100hp and despite being too early for a proper review, it is however the perfect time for the first impressions.
Keeping it in perspective and judging it by it's attributes.

The looks (This applies to the whole "family") :

Space age. The Civic came form the future and it is here now. It was way ahead it's time in 2006, it is still ahead it's time now. The facelift/restyle has changed very little, made a few things better, ruined others, but that is my opinion and opinions change from person to person. We don't all like the same things do we?
I believe that in some 10 years, the looks will still be up to date. Everytime I look at it I can't help but smlie and think how spectacular it looks. I got that from other people's Civics too. There was always a wow everytime I saw one.
When you get inside it gets better! The civic doesn't look like something you drive, it looks like something you fly. The steering wheel has a good size and feels nice to the touch. The seats are a bit hard but are still confortable and you are in a near perfect position to drive. Every important button or system is well in reach and you don't need to look away from the road to look for anything. I can tell you for sure that the final decisive factor of what car to buy was won by the Civic exactly because of it's interior. I had equivalent options but when I got in I knew this was the place I wanted to be everyday I had to drive.

Little things I should have said and done:

...I just never took the time, so goes the song. So goes Honda. A flip key, a rear wiper, windows that close and rear view mirrors that retract automatically when you close the car are thing that should be there. Two fake exhausts aren't all that bad but there's no point for it either. A start button when there is a key it's also pointless. Still cool, but pointless nevertheless. The key could be the start button. The Civic is also Sir Beeps-a-lot.

Shields up:

I haven't tried it and I wish I will live my whole life without having to test it, but there are safety features everywhere. Traction control, vehicle stability, airbags, ABS, EBD, SRS, you name it. Good to know they are there if ever need them. Definitely a must have these days.

Show us the money!!:

Ok, enough bla, bla, bla. Let's focus on what a car is for; Driving!
Engine start, stable 1500rpm warming up. No noise, no trembling, smooth, just great. The clutch is light and you hardly need to put any pressure to use it. The throttle pedal starts early and is also very smooth. Rev it a bit and the quiet little engines shows you he can sing. This car reacts rapidly, sometimes too rapidly. It takes a bit of getting used to such rapid response of the wheel, but once you get it, you love it. The 1.4 is not a race car nor did it ever intended to be. It is an "honest" engine that let's you decide how you want to play it. People who like quietness, get good milage, very linear power distibution and driving is so easy a child could do it. But today you are in "F1 mode"; Ok, don't expect 0 to 60 in 5 seconds and 200 mph, because you won't get it even if you go out and push it with a Veyron, but you do get a fun car to drive with fairly good acceleration and that holds on to the road with everything it has. If you go too far and brake, it brakes! I must say that one of the things it impresses me the most is its braking. The downside is that it starts drinking fuel as if there was no tomorrow when you ask it to hum. But the sound above 3500 rpm...Priceless. Screw the ozone layer!
Honda should be sued (kidding) for making us want to be street racers. I can only imagine the 1.8...

The best thing since bread came sliced:

No. Surely there are better. I have driven a few that could have costed my life if I were irresponsible and I would have died very happy, but the Civic with this 1.4 engine is a good all round car for young and not so young, incredibly versatile and stuningly beautiful. A good choice anytime.

I am very happy with it (time may change my opinion, but I hope not)

Last edited by fmgtorres; 12th April 2009 at 11:52. Reason: Spelling
Thank You to fmgtorres from 4 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th April 2009, 11:05
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,772 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Glad you're enjoying it. I loved driving the 1.4 vtec engine - really sweet and surprisingly quick for its size.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12th April 2009, 12:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Glad you're enjoying it. I loved driving the 1.4 vtec engine - really sweet and surprisingly quick for its size.
I'm loving it, and coming from a 75hp, 12 year old Mégane the difference really shows. It's funny because on the data sheet, the Civic is only 1 second quicker from 0-60 (0-100Km/h) and has some mere extra 7Km/h top speed. Yet it feels a whole lot quicker. I suppose it may also have to do with the fact it can take corners faster, so loosing less speed not only makes your overall trip faster as it requires less time to regain the lost speed.
Like I said, I can only imagine the 1.8 (I'm not even going to mention the CTR)...But unfortunately it was just too much money. Maybe some day

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 20th April 2009, 14:45

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Nice review, never really read anything else besides potssy's review of the 1.4 100 BHP engine. I would have taken that engine instead of my 1.8 but it wasnt available on the type-S.
I guess the 1.4 and 1.8 are quite similar, the 1.8 just picking up a bit more speed when revving hard.
Maybe i should go for a test drive in 1.4....
Thanks to Woette from:
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 20th April 2009, 18:44
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying and a great review. Long may it continue
Thanks to HappyMan from:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th April 2009, 06:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
Nice review, never really read anything else besides potssy's review of the 1.4 100 BHP engine. I would have taken that engine instead of my 1.8 but it wasnt available on the type-S.
I guess the 1.4 and 1.8 are quite similar, the 1.8 just picking up a bit more speed when revving hard.
Maybe i should go for a test drive in 1.4....
Go for it. I'm sure you'll like it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th April 2009, 06:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMan View Post
Glad to hear you are enjoying and a great review. Long may it continue
Thank you very much
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th April 2009, 09:16
The Property Man

Car: 2007 VW Beetle 1.6
wa hey!!!

i drove the 1.4 a good while back and was surprised it was nippy and quite fun to drive..i had a golf 1.6 which was quite slugish and thought the civic wouldve been worse..

nice to hear a good report on it too
Thanks to fat4y from:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 30th April 2009, 09:30 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4y View Post
wa hey!!!

i drove the 1.4 a good while back and was surprised it was nippy and quite fun to drive..i had a golf 1.6 which was quite slugish and thought the civic wouldve been worse..

nice to hear a good report on it too
Did you drive the 83hp or the new 100hp?
And the Golf is the petrol 1.6 105hp?

I think the civic is perhaps more responsive or at least feels that way, but if I am not mistaken the Golf's figures are slightly better. (I've only driven diesel Golfs).
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 31st May 2009, 12:05

Good review. Nice to see some Portuguese people around where .
Thanks to luiz222 from:
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2009, 00:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiz222 View Post
Good review. Nice to see some Portuguese people around where .
Thanks!

I noticed we are a few, but a bit "quiet"
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10th April 2010, 22:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi everyone.

One year passed, so I decided to make a small update on this topic. I am not going to write a lot, because my opinion hasn't changed. I am still very satisfied with the car, and believe it or not I still love to get in it to drive. I knew that when you have a new thing we love it, but usually that fades away some time after. This was not the case, I think sometimes I have even more fun now than I had in the first days/weeks.

Not everything is great, unfortunately. There are a few issues that aren't major but still don't make sense to happen in such a car. There has been a squeeky sound from the dashboard on bad roads ever since the first few months. It then changed to a more rigid sound.
The front bumber started to have some spacing where it connects with the headlights, and the suspension makes a cracking noise everytime the car starts moving after being parked for some time.
As you can see, nothing major (these issues will be addressed in a few days when it goes for it's first servicing), but I can't help but wonder why such minor things seem to happen so soon.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2010, 22:48

Car: 2010 Type S 1.4 - Milano red
Type S 1.4 in Hungary

I really enjoyed your review and my impressions are similar. I have a Type S 1.4 for a month now and I have already driven 2100 kms. It seems enough to have a well founded early impression.

I must tell I was a little afraid before I got the car, changing it from a Civic VII 1.4 Sport which I liked and could hardly imagine anything better. I was especially afraid that the Type S would be too rough to drive and that the 100 bho engine would not be enjoyable enough. To my pleasant surprise in both respects it surpassed the previous Civic, in spite of the fact that my Honda service people predicted the opposite.

I think the car is practically perfect. The engine is sprighty and fun, at the same time very smooth. The noise isolation is much better than in the previous Civic, so its ride seems smoother, too.

The large boot (465 l versus the previous 315) is fantastic, not to mention the other goodies: tempomat, folding mirrors, dual zone aircon, cooled glove compartment, etc. The wheel and the seats are also perfect and I also find the hifi system absolutely satisfactory - in spite of the criticisms I could read on this site, e.g.

Well, as I say, first impressions are wery good, I wonder how others feel about this small but loveable engine.

All best from Hungary!
Thanks to geszonyi from:
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 21st December 2010, 09:38
Supporter

Car: Type-S GT, Vivid Blue
Send a message via MSN to Gregry254
CLEARRRR reviving thread

I just got the keys to a 60 plate 1.4 Type-S while mine gets the clutch looked at.
When she said it was a 1.4 my first reaction was "" but driving it along the dual carriage way at 3.5k rpm and up made my reaction turn to "". Especially since I am used to changing gear at about 2k rpm in the diesel!

When I got home I opened the bonnet and revved the engine a little. The noise is fantastic for a 1.4! when you blip the accelerator you first hear the induction roar then a nice meaty sounding engine. Obviously like the OP said it wont be setting any records for speed but when you are sitting about 3.5k it just sounds . . . sexy? lol

The brakes on it are mental compared to my 2.2, almost had a bmw attached to the boot at a round about! Although this could just be down to it being less than 6 months old compared to my 3 year old car.

So main point, if you don't want the speed/power of the 2.2 (never driven a 1.8 ) then the 1.4 will still put a smile on your face!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 24th December 2010, 11:49
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant

Car: V'9 STI
Send a message via MSN to Scotty182
Gregry, that 2.2 should be wayyy past 2k revs
You dont get 6 orange lights till 4.5k or so haha
Im sure you dont need me to tell you this though! heyheyhey

Also, the brakes should be sharper, you try carrying 10 bricks strapped to your stomach and see how fast you can stopped from a run

The 1.4 is feather light in comparrison

I completely agree with this thread, its a nippy little engine, PERFECT for newer drivers or people who dont need / wont use the larger versions

GOOD REVIEW MATE!
Thanks to Scotty182 from:
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 24th December 2010, 14:23

Car: 2011 Civic Si alabaster
Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts. I have just ordered a new 2011 Civic Si 1.4 for delivery in early January and had some reservations as my current car is a 2005 Civic 1.6 and, before that, my cars were always much bigger. I have had worries that the new car's engine might be just too small. However, having read all the above posts, a lot of my concerns have now been put to rest. I am now aged 66 and well past my 'boy racer' days, and more interested in mpg than mph, so I think that the new car will suit me fine. Many thanks for the info.
Cheers, Geoff
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11th January 2011, 17:35

Car: 2011 Civic Si alabaster
Hi all - Update to my previous post:-

I picked up my new Civic 1.4 Si on Friday and, so far, am absolutely delighted with it. I haven't opened the throttle up too hard yet (it is a brand new car), but it certainly doesn't feel any slower than my '04 Civic 1.6 Executive. The additional luggage capacity is much appreciated, as is the onboard computer. An average of 50 mpg seems to be easily achievable in my area - it will be interesting to see what I get on a long motorway journey. I love the 'magic' seats (the ability to fold the seat squab up and lock it) and when I showed them to my friend he started drooling!

Only found 2 minor faults so far :- the boot light wasn't working (turned out that it is disconnected for delivery and the dealer forgot to reconnect it) and the optionally supplied mats were not clipped down. But half an hour and a cup of excellent coffee at the Dealer's this morning soon sorted them out.

I am a very happy bunny!!!

Cheers, Geoff
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2011, 19:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi everyone

Here's another update; My Civic just turned 2 years old, and I must say it is a boring car where status update is concerned as there are no unusual situations to report.
Obviously I am not complaining because it's great not to have problems. The car is pretty much "fuel it and drive".

Nevertheless, it is not completely true that there are no faults. It went for it's second year servicing last week and I was informed that the clutch pump and pedal will be replaced under warranty. It seems that it's a known issue that affected all models. The noises from the dashboard are much better. I think this time they actually did something about it. It's not completely fixed, but it seems much better.
Other than that, everything is ok - footnote about fuel consumption that has gone up, but that is not the car's fault, it's just me that like more and more to rev it. No miracles here, you push it, it "drinks".

All in all, for the second year review, still a very happy Civic owner here.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2011, 22:29

Car: 2009 CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmgtorres View Post
Hi everyone.

One year passed, so I decided to make a small update on this topic. I am not going to write a lot, because my opinion hasn't changed. I am still very satisfied with the car, and believe it or not I still love to get in it to drive. I knew that when you have a new thing we love it, but usually that fades away some time after. This was not the case, I think sometimes I have even more fun now than I had in the first days/weeks.

Not everything is great, unfortunately. There are a few issues that aren't major but still don't make sense to happen in such a car. There has been a squeeky sound from the dashboard on bad roads ever since the first few months. It then changed to a more rigid sound.
The front bumber started to have some spacing where it connects with the headlights, and the suspension makes a cracking noise everytime the car starts moving after being parked for some time.
As you can see, nothing major (these issues will be addressed in a few days when it goes for it's first servicing), but I can't help but wonder why such minor things seem to happen so soon.
the cracking sound is most probably subframe bolts. They get dry and make a tick noise on initial movement. Common well known problem. Dealer just removes bolt, lubes and reinstalls. Sorted!

Al.
Thanks to ninjin from:
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 6th May 2011, 07:48
Supporter

Car: 11 CTS/Volvo C70/BMW 3
We have have had our 1.4 with i-shift just over a month and covered 2000 miles, cannot fault Gatwick Honda, it was raining when we collected our car, they chamied our car in the showroom before going through all the controls, we had a free valet yesterday.
We are really happy with the car, love the ionised bronze and that it come with a body kit also alloys on this are really easy to clean, plenty of storage space, stereo better than our last car, 2008 Hyundai Coupe as radio stations used to drift but the sound quality was better in the Coupe.
My only gripe with the car is the i-shift and already have stone chips, sould have had silver as would not show as much, overall we are pleased with the car, good headroom as I am 6'1 seats are fairly comfortable on long journeys, the only extras for the car is a set of mats from Cyber Spares as Honda wanted too much for their mats, I will keep you updated but I agree with the other reviews for the 1.4 Type S.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page