Civic 1.8 EX review & comparison to Focus - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flaviu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 26th February 2016, 00:10 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 Civic EX Black
Civic 1.8 EX review & comparison to Focus

I have recently bought a 1.8 Civic EX 2006 and thought i'd write a review comparing it with my Ford Focus 2.0 2006 as they are similar family hatchbacks.

The looks of the Civic is what I initially fell in love with. It is unique, like no other and looks so futuristic (like a UFO it is commonly said). The focus is a mk2 which is understated but smart (the mk2.5 facelift looks a bit better and more aggressive). The Zetec Climate which I own does have sportier headlamps over the standard model.
The Civic though looks sleek, lines swoop and connect all around. The light clusters front & rear swoop round and the exhausts are metal triangles. The ford is too conservative in comparison.

Engine stats:
Civic 1.8 vs Focus 2.0.
0-60mph - Civic 8.6secs vs Focus 9.2secs
BHP - Civic 138bhp vs Focus 143bhp
Tax - Civic 180 vs 205 per year

The Honda iVtec is more free revving than the Ford Durateq and is a little less torquey, however it accelerates smoothly and sounds great. The Focus' engine is also great and has great pull when you need it also. The Civic returns better MPG though, I get around 33mpg from the Focus and 38mpg from the Civic. I anticipate with longer trips/more frugal driving I could get into the 40's easy.

Handling & Comfort is a win for the Focus. It is better at soaking up bumps and potholes and inspires confidence as it holds onto any road brilliantly. Steering is electronically adjustable with sport, normal and comfort modes and seats are supportive and comfortable. The Civic shares these traits too but just not quite as good in my opinion (but not too much in it). The dash of both cars have their strengths, the Focus is easy and straightforward but the Civic looks brilliantly futuristic and is very driver centric. The EX comes with loads more equipment too more than the equivalent Ghia spec on the Focus.

The space in both cars is good but the Civic is much cleverer in it's use. The rear seats fold flat easily and the base raise for useful mid section storage. There is several useful cubby holes and a massive centre armrest storage section. Visibility is better in the Ford though as the Civics C pillars and spoiler make rear visibility tricky, however the wind mirrors are larger and do a great job.

I have thoroughly enjoyed owning the Focus but am so happy to have the Civic now. Both are great and have their strength and weaknesses. The Focus is cheaper to buy but the Civic cheaper to run. I am expecting the iVtec to go on and on and on as well!

I would recommend the EX to anyone and especially the 1.8 manual, check the forum & wiki for advice on what to look out for.
Thank You to LAP_83 from 2 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th February 2016, 21:03
Supporter

Car: 2008 EX Galaxy Grey
Good review and fair comments. My wife has an 07 1.8 climate and is bland compared to my EX. My main cripes about the civic is the rough ride especially on bad country roads, input for the phone and I can't see some warning lights no matter how I adjust the seat and wheel and of course the paint. Otherwise I love that it's not another euro box.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th February 2016, 21:28
drives a shed now

Car: 2007 CTS GT i-shift
+1 on review.
You'll get better economy on a run. Around 70mph with a 47 average in an i-shift from Portsmouth to Sheffield to Oldham and back the other week.
My daily work drive is country lanes, 40 mile round trip and average 38 - 42. Worst 32 pushing it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 29th February 2016, 18:52 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2006 1.8 Civic EX Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbiker View Post
Good review and fair comments. My wife has an 07 1.8 climate and is bland compared to my EX. My main cripes about the civic is the rough ride especially on bad country roads, input for the phone and I can't see some warning lights no matter how I adjust the seat and wheel and of course the paint. Otherwise I love that it's not another euro box.
I agree about the ride, the Focus soaked up rough roads much better. I think the Focus is more geared to Rallying & the Civic toTrack lol!
The wife and I want to race them head to head (but probably never will). She thinks she could beat me. Women!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th May 2018, 05:50
Supporter

Car: Type R GT 2008,Milano Red
Fast road setup is what you need to limit that understeer.That,with the eibachs will improve it lots,and you'll get good stability as well.I remember when my 1.8 was standard,the steering was lighter but less precise.
Did you race your wife then ?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th May 2018, 12:15
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
I had my suspicions about handling, but I think ive narrowed it down, not to the abilities of the car, but to the seats not having good side bolsters and meaning you moving in the seat which in turn inspires less confidence in the handling of the car.

Here is the review I did a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/general...le-review.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th May 2018, 15:57
Supporter

Car: Type R GT 2008,Milano Red
Had a similar problem with my Golf mk3 tdi.After fitting GTI seats,the driver side had a missing bolt and the seat was like lifting in hard left corners
Das likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 30th May 2018, 19:50

Car: 2006 EX 1.8, Cosmic Grey
Garage
Nice review, I was going to go for a Focus until a friend let me have a test drive in his wife's Civic. Loving it.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Tags
1.8 , civic , focus , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page