Civic Type-R GT First Impressions! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 11:02 Thread Starter
Sold a kidney last week!

Car: '59 Alabaster Silver FN2
Civic Type-R GT First Impressions!

Civic Type-R GT Review

An unbiased review of my first two-weeks with Honda’s hot-hatch!

Background

I am a massive EP3 fan, and desperately wanted to buy one. The only reason I didn’t was because I was sceptical over my chances of finding one that will have been unmodified, engine wise (my insurance is pretty steep as it is), and one that hadn’t been thrashed/ragged. This was substantiated even more so (scepticism) after taking the FN2 out for a test drive. This car is built to be thrashed, and I wanted it to be me who dished out the thrashing. So I reluctantly ruled out the EP knowing that any model irrespective of what the seller will tell me will have been thrashed somewhere along the line. Anyone to have driven an ‘R’ knows it!

After the FN2 test drive I was sold. I had bought my old 1.4 Civic from the Honda dealer 6 weeks earlier, and was given a decent buy-back price on it which formed my deposit and made the FN2 a very real possibility...

After arranging for the purchase I collected R – 19196 from Starship Honda, Southall and keep finding myself being sucked into the black hole that is the Nighthawk Black Civic Type-R GT.

Looks

Breadvan or not! I loved the EP3 styling, and feared the worst when Honda introduced the 8th gen civic. Although Futuristic looking, in my opinion the car was let down by uncoded skirts, wheel arches, a Perspex grill piece with alloys that looked an inch smaller than they should have been, at the time, these signs were all evident on the Type-S; the ‘R’s younger brother. Basing my opinion on assumptions (and the slight differences between the previous EP2 & EP3) I was expecting the ‘R’ to take a similar shape – but my have they surprised me!

I prefer the production models to the concept displayed at the 06’ motorshow in ExCel!

I love marmite, and I love this Civic – the term ‘marmite’ has been applied to describe the styling of the 8th gen R, but I am, with no bias whatsoever, really struggling to see how anyone can hate it. The bold lines, 18” alloy wheels, triangularised theme and coupe shaped hatchback is gorgeous – with the tell-tale ‘R’ signatures, perhaps more classily but discreetly, positioned in and around the car.

I for one prefer the Grille Badge and Decals and plumped for them at the ridiculous price of £67.11.

The interior is superb, futuristic looking but, in my opinion a touch cheap in places. The armrest console moves under moderate pressure and the inside of the door (plastic sheet) moves to the electric window. The complicated looking dash is unique in a good way and very easy to use after a brief familiarisation period.

The steering wheel and wheel incorporated controls are comfortable and purposeful – this car is marvellous inside and out! From the dials and computer to the aluminium gear knob and refrigerated, large, glove-box - I really like this cars looks and features.

The Drive

When I first bought the car it was like nothing I had ever driven (300ZX, Almera, 1.4 Civic… To name a few), it felt solid, firm and compact. I had my reservations about the rear spoiler but honestly, am yet to have my driving hindered by it; the wing mirrors seem larger than the other cars I have driven and, angled correctly, can help with the rear-view.

The suspension is firm, I like it though. I don’t mind the bumps – my concern is that the stiffened suspension will result in damage to the car… I am very protective over my car so it is heart in the mouth stuff around potholes and cracked roads. Damn You Labour *shakes clenched fist*.

There is nowt wrong with the handling though, I tell you that – The Type-R feels like it’s on a set of rails through most corners, including the ones that I’m usually used to braking through in a different car.

This car has animalistic tendancies – I’m telling you it demands that I accelerate through A/B road corners, in doing so many a ‘pre-corner’ tailgater has ended up at least 30/40m’s back as I exit the corner. Not because I take the corner at 80 – it’s because I can maintain the speed and feel planted to the road whilst other cars seem to feel unsure of themselves until the break is pressed to help manage the corner… Not the ‘R’ though!

i-vtec

The car is quick. I’m still running mine in – but I’m dipping into the ‘zone’ more frequently now as the gearbox loosens up nicely. I go to sleep the night before in the knowledge that I start work at 6, so all I have to do is wake up and its i-vtec time. As sad as this may sound my only purpose in life these days is Type-R related.

Forget watching the news with breakfast, reading the paper or tying my tie. It’s teeth brushed, sink the boat, a cold cuppa and then the ‘Engine start button’.

I purposely take a longer route to work, and the R is now the only reason I look forward to work as well as civinfo.

So, I have digressed; anyway start hitting i-vtec and the bridges on the dual carriageway approach you - not the other way around. The only disappointment is that the journey is short lived because the roads are clear and the ‘R’ is brisk to say the least. Overtaking is masterful in the R the high rev range allows you to keep going so the possibility of choking the move is slim because the ‘R’ continues to deliver in every gear at high revs.

Conclusion
I adore this motor, it’s a head turner – they are few and far between where I live, you’re more likely to see a Porsche than an ‘R’ and you know it too when everyone stops to stare. The engine note is addictive, and the handling is as good as UPS – give the ‘R’ are a corner and you can ‘consider it done!’

The boot is large, so it’s good for lugging the cricket bag to matches… But practical jobs are undertaken in my mums Almera so I can’t comment on the back seats and practical side of the car, although I was impressed that there was luggage stowing area beneath the back seats when I was placing my mats.

Gripes

Master Cylinder problem with the clutch – resolved free on warranty.
Grille Badge and Decals – a whopping £67, £137 fitted!
Mats aren’t free – but I managed to get some in as part of my deal!

i-vtec’ing addictive so fuel consumption is as you would imagine. Keep it below 5,200rpm and you have youself a normalish 2 litre motor which is manageable. I average 26.2 at the mo!

Not enough roads to really enjoy the 'R' in London. Through speed restrictions and poor road quality.

Last edited by TypeRiter; 4th June 2009 at 11:47.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 11:28
iVTEC

Car: Black CTR GT
Good review
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 11:41
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Excellent Review I must say

Glad to hear you are enjoying your CTR to the full

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 12:05
The Property Man

Car: 2007 VW Beetle 1.6
good review dude!!!!glad its good report...i love my car still...everyday..cant wait for the new one to come out
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 12:42 Thread Starter
Sold a kidney last week!
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the comments..

fat4y - I know what you mean, I absolutely love my car - but new one? I have only had mine 2 weeks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 12:53
R-2
geekess

Car: 2010 Mugen 200 Type R
Send a message via MSN to R-2
Great review. Its really nice when someone takes the time to write such a detailed report on their experiences with the car. I think i would agree with most of that especially the fact that i am constantly looking forward to my next drive

I owned an EP3 for 3 years before this one and i really do think that the FN2 is a better all round car.

Altogether now (EP3 + FN2) i have been a CTR owner for 4.5 years and i still feel as excited about driving it as i did the first time.

Oh and NHB CTRs are the best and the fastest
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 13:37
Supporter

excellent review!!

Quote:
I purposely take a longer route to work, and the S is now the only reason I look forward to work as well as civinfo.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 14:09
Vtec'er

Car: 2008 Silver CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ninety View Post
excellent review!!

Nice try

Great review mate, I love the feeling of leaving work, pressing the red starter as a little growl leaves the exhaust, and away I go......Best part is when your approaching the light and leave it in gear, the exhaust note is lovely
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 14:11 Thread Starter
Sold a kidney last week!
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubcrawler View Post
Nice try

Great review mate, I love the feeling of leaving work, pressing the red starter as a little growl leaves the exhaust, and away I go......Best part is when your approaching the light and leave it in gear, the exhaust note is lovely
Cheers fellas, appreciate the comments!

pubcrawler any headway with the company car dilemma mate?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 14:13
Vtec'er

Still waiting to here whats on offer, think I will mull it over the weekend. Prob going to run it for a while and see what the average miles I will be clocking up will be. Hopefully not much
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 14:17 Thread Starter
Sold a kidney last week!
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Still waiting to here whats on offer, think I will mull it over the weekend. Prob going to run it for a while and see what the average miles I will be clocking up will be. Hopefully not much

Cool man, good luck with your decision - I for one hope you keep the CTR.. it looks gorgeous, and is a dream to drive..

If ever that dark day comes, you know where I am for those Rages
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 14:18
Vtec'er

Ha Ha no worries mate will give you first refusal if I seperate them
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 14:22 Thread Starter
Sold a kidney last week!
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Ha Ha no worries mate will give you first refusal if I seperate them
Cheers, hoping that TDi get some details on that Mugen gear - some Mugen's 18" or 19" would be nice! Failing that I'm trying to put away for some rages all the same!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 14:38

IF you got Mugen WHeels, id really appriciate a photoshoot! Fantastic write up
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th June 2009, 14:48 Thread Starter
Sold a kidney last week!
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofn View Post
IF you got Mugen WHeels, id really appriciate a photoshoot! Fantastic write up
Yeah defo mate... Thing is I don't know how realistic that is at the moment, I badly want a set - but finding a dealer will end up being the issue, I reckon. Was music to my ears when TDi North said they were/will be officially recognised Mugen suppliers.. so here's to hoping that they can offer some options on Mugen Alloys .
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th June 2009, 07:50 Thread Starter
Sold a kidney last week!
** Thread starter **

Master cylinder problem back again after 6 days

Played cricket on Sunday and excruciatingly ended up down the pot-holed road of all pot-holed roads - Pot Holes so deep and full of sitting water, they would have been lakes to lego men.

I think, I managed to get away unscathed although I am disgusted in myself for taken the 'R' down there.. I feel dirty.. like I cheated on her for doing that..

(The Lane was one of those where it was too late to turn back, because my team mates were in the car behind me and already down the lane... I just had to keep going.. even to get out I had to get down the lane than whip it round.. - t'was so tight I folded the wing mirrors in, so a three point turn was out of the question.)

Sickening!

I just hope the scraping noise I thought I may have heard ends up being wet gravel under my wheels, I ran my finger across the lowest obvious parts I could get to, and there was no feeling of abrasion/rubbing.. so that satisfied me.. but I couldn't get right under neath the car so I hope it's alright underneath there.

Last edited by TypeRiter; 8th June 2009 at 07:55.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 8th June 2009, 08:15

There are some 'flaps' underneath the bumper. I think their purpose is to protect it. Mine are fairly scuffed already and I'm very very careful actually. Don't feel bad, you will scuff them sooner or later
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th July 2009, 09:03 Thread Starter
Sold a kidney last week!
** Thread starter **

*Review Update* - Mischief and a Mistress

Hey Guys,

So it's actually 1490 miles and 3 days short of 2 months since I first buckled up and took to the cockpit of Type-R 19196.

For those of you whom are interested, please read on to discover my thoughts on the last 6 weeks of the Type-R experience.

Love, Life and Lorente

I am still infatuated with 'Lorente' - the name she has recieved thanks to the way her standard number plate appears to read, the feeling of exoticism and the envious looks she provokes in that little black number.

She wears the Nighthawk black well, which is complimented with red detailing in the right places. Smooth curves, and those raked lines... Gosh, I feel like the geeky guy who knows he is dating a prospective super-model, such is my over-protectiveness.

Is it just infatuation or is there an element of Love?

What initially started out as common flirting, has now become a full fledged affair - the wife reckons so too (literally):

I used to openly admit to going out for a spin around the block, down the A40, and then make it back home for dinner, but now I disappear off for a couple of hours most evenings for no apparent reason, and return home exhausted, empty-handed, at least £20 poorer, and with a mischievious grin on my face - Signs of an affair? Well the missus seems to think so.

Little does my missus know that I randomly take Lorente for some unadultered hard-riding fun, a cigarette break in a deserted car park, then some more fun before finishing off with something to drink before I retreat for the evening - damn she's thirsty.

Such has become the routine of disappearing 3-4 times during a working week, that my missus actually asked me if there was somebody else. To which I devastated her by using Lorente's name, it was only after explaining in great depth did she finally believe me

Seriously though, puns aside - Lorente is still a pleasure to drive once she has warmed up. She can be jerky (Her version of a tantrum) if I try to get a quicky in, in the morning. She is very juicy and for my average/humble means is quite expensive to maintain.

She has had a drop of oil, at least £10 every two days in petrol (V-Power), washed and hoovered weekly, and is never/rarely driven in the rain.

I believe I have learnt to drive the Type-R now, as silly as that sounds...

Although the presence of a Synchromesh in the gearbox deems double de-clutching pointless, I still use this method on downshifts to get firstly a smoother kick, and more of a power-surge feel, rather than a judd, which assists maximum enjoyment through swooping bends and roundabouts. The same applies to cruising at 40-50mph, double de-clutch in to 3rd, sometimes 2nd - and I get a kick that puts me right amongst the revs and that engine note - intoxicating.. Don't get me started on 'Heel-Toeing'... As you can imagine that is also vital with the VSA off down swooping clear A roads.

The Type-R isn't particularly quick, or as quick as I first thought stepping up from a 1.4, but what the Type-R is, is involving, busy, and action-packed if that's the mood you're in. It requires thought, it requires response, and technique to get the best out of the drive. Coupled with the 'everyday firm', but 'pleasurable A-road' handling/ride - I can see why this car has the potential to embarrass higher spec'ed/reputed cars in most challenges, even if there is a lack of torque in the 0-60. I believe that the Type-R in the right drivers control can be lethal on a mixed route - The Type-R is not a straight-line monster, imo.

There, imo, is no doubting the practicallity of owning a Type-R - at least in terms of space. Barring rear access, due to it being a 3 door hatch, the boot is humongous and rear space once you are actually in is in abbundance. I have managed 2 in the back (6 footers), myself and a front passenger - 3 cricket bags in the boot, my spare mats (for inclement weather) an Umbrella, my raving shoes a liter of oil for top-up purposes and a jacket all at the same time and the Type-R hoarded it away nicely, without avalanching out when it came to opening the boot.

Running costs? Well Group 17 as you can imagine is not cheap - I have just harped on about the practicallity of this vehicle, but with it being a Type-R the performance/running costs negate the other practical features the car has to offer - but for the right person, this is perfect for thrills, and practicallity - thankfully I have my mothers Almera for boring stuff.

To conclude.. From the out-side, Lorente is sassy, and she has great character thanks to that i-vtec engine, she is gorgeous from the inside - but the build quality is rubbish, absolutely rubbish - couple that with the hard-ride, and you have squeaks, and rattles.

- I have had my master cylinder changed.
- Sometimes the pedals feel as if they are made of two-pieces (stem and actual pedal) and that it moves under my foot sometimes, as if there's a screw loose
- She creaks first thing in the morning, somewhere from the rear.
- Her windows rattle when down (3 inches from the top) the lower you draw the window, the more the rattle disappears.
- There is a squeak, that I acn't locate from around the dash
- Some ***** have marked the interior plastic as they get into the back.
- Had to have my bumper smart repaired (great job Chiswick Honda) after someone scraped - granted not a build quality fault.

Hopefully that's all.

I hope I haven't bored you, and you have enjoyed reading.. Your comments are appreciated.

And is it just infatuation or Love? It's love, but it comes with it's fair share of maintenance, and hassles - but so does my wife.. I have both, perhaps that means I should have thought twice before getting married then...

Cheers

Last edited by TypeRiter; 17th July 2009 at 10:48.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page