First Week: Type S, diesel - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th June 2009, 20:47 Thread Starter

First Week: Type S, diesel

First of all, GREAT forum and thanks to those who replied and helped me choose CTS 2.2 over CTR!

Below are my first impressions. Also, please excuse my poor English! I would try as much as I can to give you my impressions, not from a "pro-driver" point of view (which I am not). Instead, I will share what I experienced as a normal, casual, mid aged guy...

FIRST SIGHT

My first sight of new Euro Civic was back in 2006 during a trip to one of the local beach resorts. I was shoked! Such brave design, ... so wedgy, so futuristic, and yet somehow definitely NOT weird or something. Back then I was driving Accord 2.0 automatic, model 2000 and I thought to my self - "Dude, perhaps you will never drive this little diamond" (married, 2 kids). Amazingly, 3 years later I am enjoying one -->

Two weeks ago, I was doing some final negotiations with the dealer and I opted for NHB Type S Advantage - same like GT, but w/o glass roof. I was told the glass roof itself weights like 100-120 kilograms and I somehow decided it will unnecessarily burden the car - plus I knew I won't miss it much.

When it finally arrived a week ago, and when I entered the car for the first time, I was .. well .. suddenly I realized I am in true love - what a feeling! The design of the car is really, really superb! Also, Honda somehow really achieved more sporty look for the Type S, with just few clever tocuhes here and there on both exterior and interior.

DRIVING

Woooooah !!!

Well, when I think of it, before my CTS, I used to own Peugeot 405 1.8i, than Citroen Xantia 1.8i, than Honda Accord 2.0i. The Peugeot was sluggish, the Citroen was willing, but absolutely artificial to drive (but the ride was legendary!!!). When I got the Accord - I was really impressed of it and that was the car that converted me into Honda fan.

However, mine good old Accord is absolutely no match to CTS when it comes to driving feel. The civic is cornering very well, the driving position is very nice and the seats are very supportive (seats are may be a bit firm, but I found that's actually a good thing). I am really really enjoying driving it. It is as direct that some friends of mine was saying "damn, when you chance lanes I almost feel as if the car is just strafing (any gamers around?).

I found myself choosing longest route to work recently, just to enjoy the car more ... that's means a lot I think!

PERFORMANCE

Amazingly, there is some kind of moto-mania developing in my office recently. People talking about cars, drifting, drag races etc. stuff, which I probably would never participate in. Apparently THE mania got me as well, hence the Type S instead of just 5 doors hatchback. I am often finding myself on the edge to the red zone taking smallest opportunities on the road to make my trip more .. erggh ... lively. I was even thinking seriously about CTR as well (more on that - later).

When it comes to looks, the Type S delivers! It looks sporty and I often see people turning heads and looking after it. The performance: well, this is my first diesel car - I was so much used to keeping the Accord into 3500+ rev range that it was a bit hard for me to really drive the diesel civic properly. After a week, I am getting used to it, and I found out that perhaps someone at Honda did think about gears, revs and city traffic pretty deeply - it is VERY easy to keep the car just below 2000 revs and have the turbo ready if you want to accelerate fast. And that on almost any gear up to 5th.

When you push it - it FEELS fast! It feels like there is tremedous power just waiting to be tapped. I have to say - the experience is addictive and ... well ... REALLY addictive!

After first few hours driving, I was wondering - how the heck, they did manage a whole 8.6secs for 0 - 100 kmh (0 - 60mph) with all that power. But, now I know - it has VERY short 1st gear (you have to change very early if you want the whole range of the 2nd gear - the most delivering of them all). 2nd gear gets you just below 100kmh and you need another change. When you do, you fall into mid-3rd which is not it's best I think. Also, 4th and 5th, while longer, are not as pulling as 2nd and 3rd. Still, the acceleration is very very good and in the mid range few cars in the usual "town-scape" could match it.

Did I say, the acceleration is addictive and exhilarating?

ALSO, I now really believe Pottsy that in 97% of the time, the diesel Type S will give you everything you need performancewise while driving in an overcrowded dirty city. BUT, it is so good, so lively, that you ask yourself, "Uhmm, what the heck the OTHER 3% would feel like - if THIS is so cool..."

COMFORT

Uhmm, let me put it that way - our roads sucks! I actually wanted CTR, but was pushed back mainly by Clarkson review (Top Gear dude) as he was bashing the CTR for being over-firm. Combine this with the fact that local roads are pretty post-apoccalyptic and ... here is the Type S. I even asked in the forum (thanks for the answers guys) if there is MUCH difference between CTS and CTR ride. It clear that CTR is firmer, but I was wondering HOW much firmer it is? Is it just a bit more firm? Is it a whole new dimension of firmness? To be honest I failed to make my mind about it - perhaps the question is so much matter of a subjective feel, that hardly can be answered really.

So, the ride is firm, but it feels solid and enjoyable. Combine this with the firmish seats and our roads and you get the picture - you feel them bumps very very well. BUT, again, it is much fun to drive that you do not even notice that! Seriously, it's NOT a problem!

Besides the raid quality, the rest is pretty okay. Dashboard is functional, equipment is pretty fine, driving weel is absolute gem, - interior feels solid (here and there some plastics feels inferior that mine old accord, but hey - they do not make cars like this anymore anyway )

LONG RIDE

On my second day of ownage, there were sudden event that caused me to drive with 2 more people in the cart for nearly 1000km ... in the night.

I am not sure if I can't explain this correctly in English - but despite it may sound absurd here it is: the experience was BOTH totally exhausting and amazingly enjoyable. The car is so much involving that you hardly can just lean back and push ahead. Firm ride over long distance starts to get noticed (again, not superb roads!). Interestingly, the other two passangers didn't feel that smahed when we finally arrived, but I was pretty squeezed of. I was may be pushing the car a bit too much as well - but believe me - it is HARD no to

AUDIO

Forget about it!!!

Well, amongst other things I was doing some sound design for .. uhmm .. twelve years. So, forget about it or just face it - the audio quality is pretty poor! Get something heavier, like Rammstein or Metallica, and the only thing you will hear are the cymbals distorted by the poor high-freq speakers (if you have any at all - they are optional).

I personally hate installing one of these bass-detonators (hihihi) in the trunk, so may be I should read this nice forum for hints on changing the speakers with something more ... ergghh .. something real actually.

CLICKING CLUTCH PEDAL

I got that! So, I armed myself with a serious stone face and crawled under the dashboard trying to find out where it is exactly coming from. The click happens in the first centimeters while depressing the cluth pedal, and I found it comes from a little switch there. I tried to use WD-40 to grease the thing, and it had moderate improvements. But it still comes everynow and then. Can be annoying for some for sure!

WASHING

Arrrrgh, the NHB gets dirty very easily. A little dust on the road is enough to make it look pretty tired. It's just that the dust really gets visible on this color. My Accord is alabaster silver and there IS huge difference.

STONE CHIPS

3000 km and I also got 2-3 of the little peckers! I wonder - can I wash the car at automatic carwash? Can I? Ever?

GRIP AND STABILITY

It feels there is plenty of grip. However, it was 2-3 times alreay on a twisty roads for the VSA (vehicle stability assist) to intervene. My explanation is: 1) I drive too fast due to the sheer amounts of fun that this car delivers 2) There is someting wrong with the grip levels 3) The bodyroll is pretty low which creates a false sence of security. I am not complaining - it is indeed my fault - but just decided to metions this as part of my 1st week experience.

WHICH ONE: Type S or Type R?

I have no clue how Type S 1.8 petrol would feel to drive really. I suspect it will feel more sluggish than the diesel until it gets into 4000+ rev range and after it will be match if not better.

I considered Type R versus the 2.2 diesel. Uhmm .. after I bought the Type S I found out it also has torsion bar between the rear wheel. It actually has the very same chassis as Type R with the difference being only the dampers. At least that'w what I have been told. Is it true?

I found my CTS pretty firm and if the difference with the CTS is minimal than the choice is not that easy one (if you care about it really). In mid 2nd and 3rd I have the feeling that diesel would pull better than the CTR (whithout ever trying CTR to be honest), which should be sufficient for everyday city-driving.

WOULD I BUY IT AGAIN

So far, after a week with it - its easy and definity YES!

GOLF?

Guys, anyone knows why the Golf drivers are so keen to prove me something?? I am just mid-aged casual dude! Yet, everyday, on every traffic light, there is someone in a "People's Car" that appears to have a problem with me existing on the road?! Good thing is that with the CTS it's fairly trivial to remind them they are sitting behind the wrong badge

Thanks for reading, I hope you are not bored to death and again - please don't mind my English

Last edited by frujin; 5th June 2009 at 20:57.
Thank You to frujin from 4 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th June 2009, 21:03
Supporter

Hi Frujin,

Nice review, your English is OK (at least I know what you mean!) and glad you are enjoying the car. Personally, I would always go for the diesel over the petrol especially now that diesel and petrol prices in the UK are even. Performance is great.

Keep up the good work.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 7th June 2009, 19:15
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great review

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 21st June 2009, 21:23

Car: 2012 civic 2.2 executive wh.
I have a type s. When it comes to comfort, I'm not particularly happy with the armrests, it's too little filling in the doorcovers. Before I bought the civic i had an Accord, it had much better armrests. Inn all I'm happy with the car, it is both fast and has lots of grip in curves. Btw 0-60 is not 8.6 but 8.3 seconds .. See this link Honda Civic Hatchback (06 on) - Facts & Figures - Parker's
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 21st June 2009, 22:30
My other woman is my CTR

Car: '59 CTR GT satnav/hft
Hi
glad you're enjoying your car.... I love mine too. If you love power etc then get it remapped!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 24th June 2009, 09:00
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frujin View Post
GOLF?

Guys, anyone knows why the Golf drivers are so keen to prove me something?? I am just mid-aged casual dude! Yet, everyday, on every traffic light, there is someone in a "People's Car" that appears to have a problem with me existing on the road?! Good thing is that with the CTS it's fairly trivial to remind them they are sitting behind the wrong badge
Golf drivers ... they are just jealous that their cardesign is so 1999 .

Nice review mate!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th June 2009, 21:30
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Awesome review.
Well done and thanks
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2009, 19:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks guys for your feedback and for taking time to read this review. I can't edit my post anymore so here is a small..

... UPDATE (click sound)

I was wrong about the WD-40 not working. Perhaps it needed some time to do its job, since after 2-300 km the sound
disappeared. Hoorayy!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th July 2009, 07:14
Driving on bad roads

Car: 2107 1.5 Sport
Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys for your feedback and for taking time to read this review. I can't edit my post anymore so here is a small..

... UPDATE (click sound)

I was wrong about the WD-40 not working. Perhaps it needed some time to do its job, since after 2-300 km the sound
disappeared. Hoorayy!
Hi,
Congratulations with the New motor.
I had the same problem with the CC switch on the clutch pedal.
They sorted it out in Bultrako in 15 minutes.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 30th July 2009, 22:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi Martin,

Nice to meet you ... being a Honda fans, we should have a beer someday
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 31st July 2009, 00:12
R-2
geekess

Car: 2010 Mugen 200 Type R
Send a message via MSN to R-2
Thank you for the excellent review. I enjoyed reading it and your english is really very good
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 31st July 2009, 11:47
Supporter

Car: 07 NHB FN2 & 05 Accord toure
Seeing as i build these cars for a living i feel that i should say something about the clicking clutch pedal switch. (cruise control switch) I personally would not go near the thing with WD40 as it is a conductor of electricity and you run the risk of short circuiting the switch and causing a fire. The clicking noise is perfectly normal and pretty much all of them do it, it's just how they are designed and made and how they work. Glad you like your cts though. i currently have a 5dr 1.8 EX and love it. The ride is a bit too firm for a 5dr car and the paintwork is far too thin. Ihave no complaints about the audio system though maybe the speakers are of lower quality in the type s than the EX 5dr.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2009, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddgreen View Post
Seeing as i build these cars for a living i feel that i should say something about the clicking clutch pedal switch. (cruise control switch) I personally would not go near the thing with WD40 as it is a conductor of electricity and you run the risk of short circuiting the switch and causing a fire. The clicking noise is perfectly normal and pretty much all of them do it, it's just how they are designed and made and how they work. Glad you like your cts though. i currently have a 5dr 1.8 EX and love it. The ride is a bit too firm for a 5dr car and the paintwork is far too thin. Ihave no complaints about the audio system though maybe the speakers are of lower quality in the type s than the EX 5dr.
EX probably does have better speakers and i believe it also has the better head unit since i think Alpine are the guys responsible for the Nav unit where as its panasonic or phillips that make the standard stereo.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2009, 00:06
Driving on bad roads

Car: 2107 1.5 Sport
Garage
Quote:
Hi Martin,

Nice to meet you ... being a Honda fans, we should have a beer someday
Hi,
I saw this today.
I'll be glad to have a drink or more ))
You can PM, may be

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page