First 2 weeks of the 2.2 diesel. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 6th June 2009, 15:44 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 2.2 5dr Silver i-cdti
First 2 weeks of the 2.2 diesel.

So, just over 2 weeks ago I picked up my 50k 2006 2.2 i-cdti diesel. And, coming from a background of a pretty hardcore Peugeot I was a little bit hesitant on what I would think driving it day to day.
Firstly, my doubts have been cleared away, the civic, whilst itís no go-kart like the 205 it has been reliable and gets a fair few more miles out of a tank than the 205!! But have to say the performance of the diesel is impressive. Being used to a NA engine with a very happy rev range its taken some adjustment for me, but the turbo 'push' you get is definitely providing a smile on my face. The handling isnít too firm for me, coming from a car which is on grpN suspension and lowered but its a lot more acceptable for day to day driving. my family are a bit surprised on my purchase of the civic and to be honest i was a bit quick on the whole purchasing front too. From thinking about one to putting a deposit down it was less than a day.

Itís also surprised quite a few of my friends. Including one who has one as a company car for a few weeks. He has dubbed it a 'license loser' due to the rate at which it accelerates through the gears and how enclosed the environment is from the outside world. Unfortunately he is back to a gold TDi now.....so will be interesting to get his feedback following. For me....I might have accrued some points due to trying to catch up friends and just not being used to the quietness. I guess Iíll have to see how far out the Speedo really is. GPS is pointing to being a good 10% so I might be ok.
For me, the hardest adjustment has been the impression of speed. I've found myself approaching roundabouts etc well over what I would call 'safe' but this comment can probably be said for lots of modern cars.
...have so far done 1300 miles in the civic, (in 2 weeks!) this wasnít planned as I was only expecting to do around 300 miles a week for work (hence the diesel) and decided to take it down to Newquay for a break with friends. Due to circumstances we ended up taking 3 civics and had some fun on the journey.
A 2006 2.2, 2007 1.8 petrol and 2008 2.2 diesels formed the convoy, All SE spec, 2 black and mine in silver caused a few looks as we all sailed by people or were parked up together. And, I have to say the journey went well. The drive down was over 7 1/2 hours as everyone and their dog decided to either have accidents or slow down to have a look. But even after this amount of time in the car (apart from 20 mins or so at reading services) I arrived refreshed and un-traumatised by the journey. AC and climate kept me cool and the overall mpg for that journey was around 55mpg.
Seeing as we seemed to have had the best weather for the entire year whilst there Iím glad that the climate is a powerful as it is. And the comment was made that the 2.2 seems to have a more ready climate system. Literally within 30 seconds or so there is cold air blasting out. Something the 1.8 didnít seem to do.
Average mpg round Cornwall was 50.3 which isnít bad. Lots of relatively short journeys and everywhere with climate on.

And finally onto the journey home. Well things went a lot better until we hit the M25...surprise surprise there we are having travelled some 260 miles without a break and there is stationary traffic. So, a quick dive into the services on the M40 and work out another route back to mid Essex via the north circular. Would have without this trouble made it in a good 5 hours but even so the mpg was 53 and that was maintaining a fairly steady motorway pace. From the days of the pug I would have been knackered. But not in the civic, my only complaint being that I was suffering from a numb bum after almost 7 hours on the journey down.
I guess Iíll find out soon the bad side of car ownership as it will be the 60k mile service within the next 5 months.
If you've read this far, well done! If not, Iíll summarise my current thoughts.

Good bits.
Leather quality and seat support.
The turbo push
Ride quality and cornering.
The dashboard...and having toys to play with.
Over 50MPG. Whilst still keeping good pace.
Bad bits
No satnav(my fault though for not buying one with it)
Inside trim seems to have been marked (how I donít know)
Jury is out on bike racks...and from previous experience I wonít be putting my rear screen or thule rack on.
Impression of speed.
The stereo, why Honda have made adding MP3/IPod etc or changing this so difficult is bizarre.

Thanks for reading and further thoughts to come as my commuter goes into daily service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th June 2009, 19:10
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
What a great review of your car. Glad to hear you are enjoying it and getting some good MPG.

Let's hope you keep enjoying it
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th June 2009, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard205 View Post
Bad bits
Impression of speed.
Does it really seem that your not going that fast then?? Even with the windows down etc?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th June 2009, 21:33
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
An excellent review. Well done
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th June 2009, 23:30

Car: 2.2 ICTDI EX 5 door BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard205 View Post
Impression of speed.
Mate I had a kid in a GTDI give it the biggun and before I knew it I was at 129 and he was firmly in the rear view mirror.

Definitely agree with you there.

I have never driven anything that quick before and when I realised I papped it big time.

Had mine about 3 weeks now and when she starts whistling I always start grinning.

I'd love to find out how to reduce some of the Turbo lag though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 8th June 2009, 19:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2006 2.2 5dr Silver i-cdti
I dont like driving with the windows down...even in the pug i didnt do it. Unless i was really hot. Sometimes the sunroof was opened.

Yes it does feel a lot slower. My pug is lowered, has a straight through exhaust and has grpN suspension, bushes and engine mounts. So you really do get the sensation of speed from all angles.

The civic......you accelerate and as long as you are close to the boost kicking in, it effortlessly seems to push you up the road. Without the barking roar of exhaust and a hoover on acid induction noise the drama isnt there. Which right now im enjoying.
I know somewhere im going to miss my pug when i sell it because owning something i'd always wanted for the past 5 1/2 years its had a lot of time, money and love put in. However she's getting on for 18 now and time is starting to catch up. And the community on the forum is strong with some good friends that i have through it.

Anyway, thank you for the positive comments!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th June 2009, 12:26
Blade Runner

Car: 59 Td4 LR Freelander 2 GS
Send a message via MSN to swfrom07
Great review Rich and I hope you keep enjoying the driving experience

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page