2.2 CDTi Civic SE test drive - brief observations - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th June 2009, 21:00 Thread Starter

2.2 CDTi Civic SE test drive - brief observations

well today i finally go around to test driving a civic down at francis honda in mount sorrel.

they took me out in a cosmic grey 5 door SE with the diesel engine.

i have to say i had a lot of reservations about the car having read around this site. thankfully nearly all these little niggles and worries were unfounded because the car was very impressive indeed.

heres a couple of observations.....

Driving position .... i didnt have a lot of time to get the seat sorted, but with the brief fiddling by the road side i got a pretty nice position going. with a few more minutes i reckon id of got the perfect setting.

i loved how easy all the controls are and how accessible they are too... really well thought out

Engine.... when it first started it sounded a little clattery and was a bit intrusive in the cabin. however, once it warmed up it was fine. more importantly, that thing (for a diesel) loves to rev.... i couldnt believe how free reving and responsive it was. it pulls like a train too and actually has a rather satisfying whine/whistling at low speeds.

On the road..... road noise was noticable, but didnt really seem over bearing, only a longer test drive might change my mind here. i thought the suspenision was perfectly fine, not too stiff at all and there was no rattles, knocks or clanks at any time.

it had the 16inch rims, which i reckon are probably the best bet for comfort, little extra sidewall to soak up the bumps.

Performance..... outstanding, i thought it was hilariously fast... i took my eyes off the the speedo for 2 secs and when i looked back i had 85 on the speedo! it just seemed effortless, 2500rpm for that speed. the engine pulls really well in all gears. amazing.

in short i was totally impressed with the car... id be quite happy with an SE though i might look for a Sport or something. think ill be seriously considering a purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th June 2009, 21:08
Silver Bullet Supporter

Car: 2.2 i-CTDi Type S GT

Type S GT all the way!

Glad you liked it. Go on get one ...you know you want to!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th June 2009, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by otispunkmeyer View Post
well today i finally go around to test driving a civic down at francis honda in mount sorrel.

they took me out in a cosmic grey 5 door SE with the diesel engine.

i have to say i had a lot of reservations about the car having read around this site. thankfully nearly all these little niggles and worries were unfounded because the car was very impressive indeed.

heres a couple of observations.....

Driving position .... i didnt have a lot of time to get the seat sorted, but with the brief fiddling by the road side i got a pretty nice position going. with a few more minutes i reckon id of got the perfect setting.

i loved how easy all the controls are and how accessible they are too... really well thought out

Engine.... when it first started it sounded a little clattery and was a bit intrusive in the cabin. however, once it warmed up it was fine. more importantly, that thing (for a diesel) loves to rev.... i couldnt believe how free reving and responsive it was. it pulls like a train too and actually has a rather satisfying whine/whistling at low speeds.

On the road..... road noise was noticable, but didnt really seem over bearing, only a longer test drive might change my mind here. i thought the suspenision was perfectly fine, not too stiff at all and there was no rattles, knocks or clanks at any time.

it had the 16inch rims, which i reckon are probably the best bet for comfort, little extra sidewall to soak up the bumps.

Performance..... outstanding, i thought it was hilariously fast... i took my eyes off the the speedo for 2 secs and when i looked back i had 85 on the speedo! it just seemed effortless, 2500rpm for that speed. the engine pulls really well in all gears. amazing.

in short i was totally impressed with the car... id be quite happy with an SE though i might look for a Sport or something. think ill be seriously considering a purchase.
But what are driving just now?a short enthusiastic test drive counts for nothing i know i didnt even have 1 i got my car by looks alone hadnt even been this forum and wouldnt have got one if i had...???well maybe but not in red but we all make mstakes

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th June 2009, 22:01
Supporter

Car: 58 Reg 2.2 i-CTDi SE+,5 Door
Good report, and pretty spot-on with your observations and comments. It's a 2.2 SE (+) that I drive and i'd agree with most of what you've said.

On a longer drive you might feel differently about the suspension set-up. I think you're right about the 16" wheels though. I came from a car which was lowered on 18" wheels with 40 profile tyres so going to the Civics firm set-up on 16" wheels makes it a bit more acceptable. I know the guys I pick-up for work sometimes commented on how much better the ride quality is compared to my old car, so it can't be that bad.(or maybe my old car was really firm)

I would never be put off of a car by a forum alone. All car forums are the same, and every car suffers from faults. You can't let that put you off.

Glad to hear you are considering a purchase.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2009, 00:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano.J View Post
But what are driving just now?a short enthusiastic test drive counts for nothing i know i didnt even have 1 i got my car by looks alone hadnt even been this forum and wouldnt have got one if i had...???well maybe but not in red but we all make mstakes
i havent driven properly in a year.... but used to have a mk1 focus. the civic is leaps an bounds better

i have little sympathy for you and your purchase though, you cant buy things based on their cover. i mean if you dont do your homework then you leave yourself open to disappointment. i did my homework on this car, i knew what i was expecting and i have to say the car was better than i had expected based on my idea of what it was going to be like from reading reviews.

but yeah, every one makes mistakes... bit expensive at this level though right? lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2009, 00:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervDriver View Post
Good report, and pretty spot-on with your observations and comments. It's a 2.2 SE (+) that I drive and i'd agree with most of what you've said.

On a longer drive you might feel differently about the suspension set-up. I think you're right about the 16" wheels though. I came from a car which was lowered on 18" wheels with 40 profile tyres so going to the Civics firm set-up on 16" wheels makes it a bit more acceptable. I know the guys I pick-up for work sometimes commented on how much better the ride quality is compared to my old car, so it can't be that bad.(or maybe my old car was really firm)

I would never be put off of a car by a forum alone. All car forums are the same, and every car suffers from faults. You can't let that put you off.

Glad to hear you are considering a purchase.

yeah i didnt really like the look of the 16's to be honest, but the car rides nicely on them. i can only imagine that the 17's and 18's will make the ride harsher still.

i can see my license being in jeopardy with this car, its so effortless with its speed!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2009, 09:24

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Nice review, good to know that the civic can still impress people after they have been reading about all the problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th June 2009, 11:41
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
The engine whine/whistle when accelerating or decelarating to me is an attractive feature of this car.Around town especially,then goes earily silent when into 4th gear.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page