09MY Type R GT 2 months and countingÖ - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2009, 23:07 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 ES
09MY Type R GT 2 months and countingÖ

Well as Iím coming from a slightly different angle than most on this I thought Iíd share my thoughts on the new rocketship. Having previously owned a 1.8 spaceship there are a few comparisons...

Exterior. Looks like a Civic to many people. This is a good thing. Iíve only noticed a couple of Saxo drivers wanting to Ďhave a goí. I used to get this in the 5 door, so no great change. I have seen it getting plenty of second looks by passers-by who notice. I actually like the standard wheels. The paint Iím not so keen on. Red. Yes, I know. I should have got white, or silver. Itís just a me thing: red is the fastest colour. Iím slowly working my way round correcting the dealers best efforts. It looks good now, so Iím doing my best to keep it that way.

Interior. This is what made me want an R. I love the 8th generation Civic interior. The idea of a fast car with that dash was very very appealing. I looked at the Golf and the Focus and theyíre just so poor in comparison. I couldnít go from NASA to ASDA! I will have the problem of what I replace the R with in a few years. the dimpled surround is an improvement over the super shiny part. I do miss the spaceroof a bit though. I had a petrol-headed mate have a blast in the 1.8 before it went. He was quite amazed how nice a 2 year old car felt. And once in the driverís seat and using the controls he knew why I like Civics!

Drive. I wasnít expecting that much from looking at the numbers. I wasnít after the Ďfastestí car in the world anyway. I did want something that was fun to drive. 60/70 comes up quickly enough for me thank you very much! And you can carry that speed because it corners very well. Better than Iím prepared to try Iím sure. Not that the 5 door is rolly-polly of course. Itís just that this is better. Itís enhanced by ABPs sorcery with the front suspension to get it Ďin-specí. I love the way it sticks round bends, with just a bit of understeer thatís not really a problem. I also love the engine note. Once the naughty light comes on, itís just so nice. The gear change has a wonderful precision feel.

Ride. Not so good. The bucket seats do a very good job of support even if they do forget their position when tipped forward. Itís more noticeable as a passenger that you do crash a little bit over most bumps. It feels a lot more stable and relaxed at speed on the motorway though. We did have 2 stiff necks after the first 100 mile motorway trip though. Not something the 1.8 did.

Toys. The HID lights should be standard on everything. Theyíre just better. The USB audio is a reason to buy a new car. With a decent USB stick itís fast and works just how it should. Iíve not tried it with playlists yet. The footwell lighting isnít that bright. I might have to have a play with it. I think theyíve changed the design now thatís itís fitted at the factory to a number of models. Iíve no idea if the deflate warning system works.

Practicality. Even as a 3 door youíve got to admire that boot. Then tip the Ďalmost magicí seats forward and youíve got a 200PS light commercial! Great for the bikes. I know Iím not going to see the 48-50MPG (indicated) I could get from the 1.8, but mid 30s is very real if I go easy on the load pedal. Even with a few jollities itís above 30. It could do with 7th or overdrive for motorways. 3500RPM doesnít do the fuel economy any favours. I do find that the cruise control seems to hunt a lot more than on the 1.8. this may be down to the shorter gearing. Iím not proud of the emissions, but then I donít do massive mileage. My insurance hasnít gone up much.

Overall. Iím in love. I used to get funny looks for talking about The Spaceship. Now Iím talking about The Rocketship. Itís fun knowing that when the mood takes me I can go and enjoy just driving. I hope I havenít bored you too much. I thought it might be nice to see the thoughts of someone who sees the R as plenty hot enough, wants to enjoy driving it, and still has that silly grin when he presses the start button.
Thank You to Skippy from 6 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2009, 23:30
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
Good looking car
Thanks to illegalhunter from:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2009, 23:38
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY

Car: S2000
I'm glad you're enjoying the R GT mate. I love mine and am dead proud of it!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2009, 09:06
Sold a kidney last week!

Car: '59 Alabaster Silver FN2
Great review - and a brill number plate too!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2009, 09:32
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Thanks, good comparison with the 1.8.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 6th July 2009, 22:32
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 5dr ES, Bronze
Good read and lovely looking car.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th July 2009, 12:50
Supporter

Car: 2018 CR-V, Passion Red Pearl
Location: Uitbergen, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Solar system, Galaxy, Universe BE
Eco display
Garage
nice car. Congratz mate!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th July 2009, 19:57
Onto my second Civic

Car: 2009 Milano Red CTR GT
Good review and great picture. Makes me want to fast-forward a week and get my CTR now!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 13th July 2009, 23:40
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
A very nice looking car and a great comparison review. Thanks for that
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 14th July 2009, 00:03
LOUD NOISES!!!

Car: 60 FN2 M200
Great read, thanks Skippy.

nb. love the NASA, ASDA comparison, that's so true. We use a lot of hire cars and the interiors of comparable cars are so pants.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page