56 2.2 EX 6 weeks in - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th September 2009, 16:01 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 2.2 EX Nighthawk Black
56 2.2 EX 6 weeks in

I picked up my 56 plate 2.2EX at the start of August and have since done nearly 4.000 miles

I have covered a lot of motorway driving, city driving, country driving and general round town driving.

WHAT'S IT LIKE TO DRIVE?

My EX has got 18inch Storms with low profile tyres.

The overall ride of the civic is firm although not as firm as the BMW mini I used to own. The firmness gives you a greater sense of being at one with the road although i do wish i was back to my old mondeo when it comes to speed bumps!
The leather seats are very comfortable and my rear passengers say it's not like sitting in any car they have been when riding in the rear.

The steering is responsive and the handling is great..except.. as i found out when going around a round about a little too fast and the turbo kicks in..

With the size of the wheels I have on the car i find it does tramline quite a bit and does need some attention to the overall direction the car is driving in but that i find is only when using one hand on the wheel. With two hand control on the wheel the ride is a lot more consistent.

Gear change is nice and close and the range in each of the gears is a lot easier to adjust to coming from a petrol vehicle.

Ride height is good and with the seat down low and slightly reclined it gives a much more sporty feel.

ECONOMY

Being a Diesel i am really happy with the economy compared to my last cars. I am getting on average 450miles to a tank and only really getting between 45-48mpg but that's got a lot to do with the fact that i've got a need for fast accelleration.. i just love it too much!

With my old mondeo (60litre tank) i would have to fill up every 5 days but with the civic I can go for 7 days at around 12-15 less on each fill up. this is helping to save me so much money every month.

Insurance is only 10 a month less but road tax is 100 less a year

SPACE

The drivers area is fantastically laid out. plenty of room for me and all my stuff. the storage in the door is good although it could do with some of that anti slip matting fitting in there to stop things sliding around on the hard plastics.

Passenger side is good for storage with a larger than you think glovebox.. i can fit how many CD's in there...!?!?!

Rear space is excellent for what seems to be a small car. even with the driver's seat in my favoured position there is still enough room for me to sit behind the seat comfortably.

Boot space is also excellnt, the extra space under the floor is genius and holds all my javelin accessories perfectly.

The javelins fit nicely in the car going diagonally from behind the driver to the passenger footwell. the javelins are 2.7m long

The Magic seats are fantastic and were used in a number of combinations while i was on my camping holiday in august..

NIGGLES

General niggles that everyone else has are pretty much apparent on my car. A few minor rattles from around the steering wheel which come and go, one quite irritating rattle from what appears to be the rear NS passenger area (shall be looking into that tonight after going through the section on here) paint chips on the front of the car.
Randomly the satnav display will flash up the fan display for the AC.. not sure why it does this.
Fuel cap has had the fix already done to it when i bought the car, the 12volt socket in the front of the car is loose but not really bothering me.
No rattles or creaks from the windscreen and none from the headlining around the glass roof.

Radio reception is a bit poor depending on the station and area you go to. (will there be a fix for this??)

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

I did a lot of research before buying this car. It was/is one of the best engines in it's class and the styling made me drool.

I also looked up the faults with the civic before committing to the purchase. the niggles listed above are not bad enough to take away from the fact that this is an all round excellnt car. Every day i drive it i have a smile on my face.
Thank You to Javelin Sam from 2 Users:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th September 2009, 16:18

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Excellent review!! You seem to have a very good 56 plate!!
Nice to have another new review to the section, always good to know how other people are experiencing the car.
Do keep the thread updated on any other events and enjoy the car
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th September 2009, 16:55
Move over..comming thru!!

Car: 59 CTR GT + Nav
Just a thought, and I may be wrong here but if the climate is set to auto it raises and lowers the fanspeed and temp to maintain the cabin temp...it might be that the fan speed pops up on the display when it automatically increases or decreases??

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th September 2009, 19:14
Supporter

Thanks for the review; this is the exact car i want and i enjoyed reading your positive review.

Hope you continue to enjoy your car.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th September 2009, 19:48
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Thanks for an excellent review Sam
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 16th September 2009, 23:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

no problem! Just a note, the ac is not on auto and no adjustments are made when it pops up on the display. Odd eh!

I found out what the main rattle coming from the rear near side passenger seat area is. Well i say i found out, i just shoved the gf in the back to listen while i drove around. It seems to be the seat catch housing knocking on the U Bracket just as others have found. Managed to temporarily stop the rattle before doing a proper fix and my what a difference. The car sounds so much better now! Even more smiles than before.
Thanks to Javelin Sam from:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 17th September 2009, 10:11

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin Sam View Post
no problem! Just a note, the ac is not on auto and no adjustments are made when it pops up on the display. Odd eh!

I found out what the main rattle coming from the rear near side passenger seat area is. Well i say i found out, i just shoved the gf in the back to listen while i drove around. It seems to be the seat catch housing knocking on the U Bracket just as others have found. Managed to temporarily stop the rattle before doing a proper fix and my what a difference. The car sounds so much better now! Even more smiles than before.
i have the same problem, never thought that that would be the issue (didnt really search neither ), i'm gonna check tonight if its the same with me. If so i'll just put something soft between it to make it stop.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 17th September 2009, 15:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

get someone to sit in the back and listen for it while you drive!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 11:49

Car: 2006 Civic 2.2 CDTi EX
06 2.2 ex cdti

Sounds like you have a very nice car indeed! I wish I had leather as the cloth does look a bit worse for wear on the glove box lid and door pulls. I do find the turbo lagg a bit annoying at times and the road handling is no where near as grippy as the VW Golf! I dont have any stone chips on mine but have been told that Galaxy Grey is the best choice to avoid stone chips? I have had the fan image appear on the Sat-Nav screen from time to time as well. Haven't had any problems with the car although do get the odd rattle noise from the dashboard on occasions. The rear parking camera is handy.
I average about 44 MPG according to the computer read out. I like the lay out of the controls, although the voice commands can be a bit difficult to operate correctly.

Road Tax is cheap at just 120 a year.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th January 2010, 16:48

Car: 2007 2.2 5Dr Black Civic
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin Sam View Post

Had the same rattle on the u bracket, taped it around with draft excluder tape working so far. So how do u intend to do a proper fix? Im thinking of raising this issue with dealer, any point?

Luke im sure a EX version on 07 and less than 50k on clock is lurking around for you, i travelled 50 miles from my home to get hold of mines!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th January 2010, 17:18
Supporter

Car: (56) 2.2 CTDI EX Black
Had my 56 reg EX 2.2 with 18" and leather since November and have done 5k miles in it. Its absolutely awesome. I've averaged 51mpg (lots of long and quite gentle journeys), heated seats fantastic, driving position, ergonomics, handling, steering response superb. Mid range on engine as good as a last generation 330d. Yes its a hard ride but don't mind.
Had a couple of the usual faults (EPS light on and faulty exterior temp sensor) - going in next week under Honda's extended warranty which I bought but supplying dealer has confirmed most of the other things (dampers, bump stops, fuel filler, handbrake) have already been done under previous owner. I can forgive a couple of issues on what is probably the best car I've owned yet (and I've had 330d beemers, Saab 9-3 convertibles).
Big fan
Andy

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page