LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 08:06 Thread Starter
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Auto Express

Not paid too much attention to the fine detail yet but.....

There is a four car shootout in this weeks Auto Express.

A Civic ES, a Ford Focus, some other similar vehicle and a new Toyota that has just been released.

The upshot is the Civic has won hands down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 08:13
Supporter

Heard about Ford, they shut down about 16 plants in the US and they lost a lot of money last year selling cars.....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 12:28
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Yes just read it there, gave everything else a right thrashing!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 13:13
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 CTS GT-T Milano Red
CZ

what were the specs of the cars in question?

I'll look out for the mag tonight

thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 13:25
King of the rodeo

Off today so I thought I'd type out the review!

Talk about a revolution. The previous Civic had a reputation for appealing only to more 'mature' buyers, but the current model is a different matter altogether. In one fell swoop, Honda has built a car that makes every other hatchback look dull.
The styling may not appeal to everyone, but thanks to its wedge shape and muscular stance, the civic stands out from the crowd. There's a futuristic feel created by the space-age blend of lights and reflectors merging across the nose and split tailgate, while other details such as triangular exhausts, plus concealed rear door handles, also catch the eye. Shunning current trends for middle age spread, the civic is shorter and lower than its predecessor - but that doesn't mean its not practical. The 485 litre boot is the largest here by a long way, and also features a neat false floor that lifts to reveal a hidden compartment (there's no spare wheel) or stows at the bottom of the cubby to boost the load volume still further. And with a fuel tank which, as on the firm's Jazz, has been moved forward under the front seats, the engineers were free to create a highly versatile area.
But the rear chairs aren't only clever; they're also spacious. When climbing in, you notice how small the back doors are and the fact the thick C-Pillars darken the cabin, but you can't argue with 70mm more legroom than in the Auris. The Honda caters for passengers better than any other car in the class. Up front, the cockpit oozes style and quality - Honda's designer clearly wanted to ensure that the interior is as bold as the exterior. You would expect the unconventional layout to be confusing, but once you're familiar with it, it's one of the most user-friendly we've ever tried. The controls are cleverly clustered, the materials are a step up from those in the Auris and it simply feels much more special and sophisticated than it's rivals.
We do have a few criticisms, though. The steering wheel can partially obscure the digital speedometer, and the lip spoiler across the tailgate seriously hampers rearward visability.
The powerplant doesn't let the side down, however. At the test track, the civic outpaced its competitors with ease. Admittedly the engines 1.8 litre capacity gives the Honda a healthy advantage, but you might also be surprised to learn the i-vtec is the cleanest most economical unit here. A 30-70mph time of 8.2 seconds puts the civic 2 seconds clear of the focus and golf, while the snappy throttle action, enthusiastic mid range pull, hard edged engine note and slick six-speed gearbox make it feel like a hot hatch.
The precise pedals and steering are light enough to be easy to use around town, but also prove impressively responsive. That bodes well for the cars driver appeal, and on the whole the Honda lives up to expectations. It's grippy and well balanced although it doesn't tackle corners with the same panache as the Focus. Ride comfort is entirely acceptable, but all three rivals excel in that area and the civic comes across as rather sporting in comparison, with the dampers failing to isolate rough road surfaces. At least top-drawer refinement and sound insulation make it a fine motorway machine.
You pay for the privilege though. In ES spec, the civic is well equipped, but it costs nearly £2000 more than the Auris in this test - although Hondas lesser S version comes in at £13890.

Rivals:

Ford Focus 1.6 TI-VCT zetec climate
VW Golf 1.6 Match
Toyota Auris 1.6 VVT-IT3

Final result:

1) Honda Civic i-VTEC 1.8 ES

The Civic is bold and futuristic, yet also user-friendly, roomy, fast, frugal and desirable. Toyota should have paid the Honda more attention.

2) Ford Focus 1.6 TI-VCT zetec climate

While the styling is dull, the driver experience is anything but, and polished ergonomics make the ford easy to live with.

3) VW Golf 1.6 Match

Expensive yet worth every penny, the Golf feels more upmarket and desirable than any rival. Comfort is a particular strong point.

4) Toyota Auris 1.6 VVT-IT3

The replacement for the Corolla isn't brave enough, but predictable controls at least make the Auris a reassuring car to drive.

In an interesting comment the reviewer stated of the dashboard, 'Its all to easy to bang your knee on the sharp corner when you climb into the car'. I've never had a problem with that!

Last edited by czechplastik; 26th January 2007 at 13:31.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 13:32
King of the rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88RKE View Post
CZ

what were the specs of the cars in question?

I'll look out for the mag tonight

thanks
I accidentally hit submit-reply before I'd finished typing!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 13:57
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 CTS GT-T Milano Red
Positive review, great stuff, now go and give your fingers a rest...

Did anyone ever post the Honda Civic Type R v Volkswagen Golf GTI Edition 30 reviewd in Auto Express?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 14:14 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Oh yes the other one was a VW, that'll be why I forgot it
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 14:34
King of the rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88RKE View Post
Positive review, great stuff, now go and give your fingers a rest...

Did anyone ever post the Honda Civic Type R v Volkswagen Golf GTI Edition 30 reviewd in Auto Express?
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3002
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 17:30
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Thanks for that czezhplastik!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
Off today so I thought I'd type out the review!

In an interesting comment the reviewer stated of the dashboard, 'Its all to easy to bang your knee on the sharp corner when you climb into the car'. I've never had a problem with that!
This has happend to me and with dire results :/. I was in a hurry and jumped into the car i hit my leg to the sharp corner.. i had jeans on and it wiped away a bit of paint from the painted hood of the dash :/

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page