Civic 2.2 SE - REVIEW @ 2 yrs old - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st January 2010, 17:17 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 2.2 SE Silver
Civic 2.2 SE - REVIEW @ 2 yrs old

Here's a general review of my car which has reached 2 yrs of age and about 18000 miles.

Bought from Chatham @ Sighthill in Edinburgh. They did me a good deal, unlike Phoenix in Falkirk (my local dealer) who seemed hell bent on trying to sell me one at full list price!

Driving impressions:

Excellent performance and refinement from the diesel engine, and I'm averaging 48mpg, which is pretty good considering I don't hang about.
The ride is very hard though, even on 16" wheels. I tried a Type S before buying this model and that seemed to have no suspension at all.
The handling is good except when near the limit when it gets a bit wriggly, but that's rarely an issue.
And I love the digital dash, especially the fact the speedo is right in my eyeline. No need to take your eyes off the road!
The rear visibility is awful, and the front pillars are thick and steeply raked which is more of a pain than the rear view for me.
The seats aren't comfy on long trips. My back aches after about 90 mins. Luckily I don't do many long journeys.

Quality:

Not bad, but not as good as I'd hoped, given Honda's reputation.
The handbrake was done under the recall, and It's needed a drivers window weather strip and the windscreen washer bottle neck had to be replaced when I noticed a leak.
The interior has a couple of intermittent rattles and squeaks but nothing overly annoying.
The clutch gives the occassional judder but the problem goes as soon as it arrives, so I'm not too bothered about it.
Most notably the rear discs have now been replaced TWICE under warranty due to corrosion and pitting. Am I alone with this problem I wonder?

So, overall I'm quite happy with the car. It's better looking than anything else in its class and at least as reliable as the competition. Along with the looks, the engine is the best bit for me. Easily the best motor in the class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st January 2010, 17:52

great revue and honest you have no major faults just minor niggles/faults if you think the type S suspension is hard try a civic type R with 19" wheels.......it can shatter a hoare's heart
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st January 2010, 20:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milano.J View Post
great revue and honest you have no major faults just minor niggles/faults if you think the type S suspension is hard try a civic type R with 19" wheels.......it can shatter a hoare's heart
I can't imagine how stiff that must be. I used to have the old model Type R, and the new Type S I tried out felt harder than that. And that was only on 17" rims.

Do you drive with one of those piles cushions on the seat?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st January 2010, 20:43
Supporter

Car: 2014 1.6 i-Dtec SR, Red
There must be a big difference when adding the 19 inch wheels because I've found that with standard 18 inch wheels the car is firm but quite comfortable, and in some areas the ride is better than in my old 1.8SE.

Put the cruise control on and the car makes a nice long distance cruiser.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st January 2010, 21:01

As my 2.2cdti has just come onto my posession from the crv I can honestly say I am pleased with the change. Have to agree with arlenm that the driver set up is 'star wars' like - giving you all you need right in front of your eyes. Mine has 52k on clock and it's reassuring that the clutch shudder is on one a lot less miles - as you say - there, then gone. goes like the preverbial (?) turn off a spade to compared to the crv. I don't think that the build quality is that of the older honda range but I am reliably told that because of 'green' plastics the durablilty of it will often make it creek. As long as it don't come off when driving!!! Drive is superb on long(ish) distances when in cruise control - never had it so good. One niggle for me (and I should get the dealer to sort this) is the petrol cap release - doesn't always respond. Anyone else got the same snag - and a solution??? Thaks for the reassuring post 2 year - I will let you know how it looks in another 2 years.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st January 2010, 21:25
Supporter

Car: 2014 1.6 i-Dtec SR, Red
The petrol cap release is a known problem on early cars and was subject to a recall. The recall work involved putting a spring clip under the flap and it has been known for dealers to fit this incorrectly.

Get the dealer to check if the work has been done and whether it has been done correctly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st January 2010, 21:30
Supporter

Car: 58 Reg 2.2 i-CTDi SE+,5 Door
Good review. Glad you're still happy with it. I'll be doing a 1 year one on mine soon, including how I get on with the 1st service.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2010, 21:09

Nice review, but I have to ask something. Did the suspension get changed between the 06 and 08 cars? 'Cos my 58 plate 2.2 ES has a lovely ride!! Firm, but comfy, cetainly not spine shattering!! I used to drive an MG ZR TD which was WAY firmer, and even that wasn't uncomfortable.
As for long distance stuff, did a 400+mile round trip in mine and had no pain or anything. I have come to the conclusion (after driving several cars and talking to several friends, family members etc.) that a lot of people get pain due to having their seat set up incorrectly. I've certainly found that just one notch (on any chair control) can make a big difference on long journeys.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2010, 22:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanda2260 View Post
Nice review, but I have to ask something. Did the suspension get changed between the 06 and 08 cars? 'Cos my 58 plate 2.2 ES has a lovely ride!! Firm, but comfy, cetainly not spine shattering!! I used to drive an MG ZR TD which was WAY firmer, and even that wasn't uncomfortable.
As for long distance stuff, did a 400+mile round trip in mine and had no pain or anything. I have come to the conclusion (after driving several cars and talking to several friends, family members etc.) that a lot of people get pain due to having their seat set up incorrectly. I've certainly found that just one notch (on any chair control) can make a big difference on long journeys.
I don't think they changed the suspension. It's quite firm but not to the point that it annoys me. It was the rock hard Type S that did that! It's only on the fairly rough local roads around my way that it's really noticeable.

I know what you mean about tweaking the seat position. I think I've found a better setting now. I'm just about to make a fairly long trip so I'll find out if that's helped in a few days.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2010, 11:33

Groovy! Hope it helps!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th January 2010, 06:34
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great Review

I am surprised to hear that you find the seats uncomfortable, though. I find them very comfortable indeed and on a couple of long journey's of over 1000km each way arrived feeling as fresh as anything. The only time I had a little back ache was when I got the car and didn't quite have the back of the seat in the right position and had to change it slightly, other than that fantastic.

Glad to hear you are still happy with the car, and I too love the speedo area. It's going to be hard to replace the interior of the Civic, i think.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page