Review: Week in with 2006 2.2 I-CTDI Civic - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2010, 11:35 Thread Starter
Supporter

Review: Week in with 2006 2.2 I-CTDI Civic

A few days into Civic ownership and a rather boring day at work I thought what better then to write up my views and to bore you with them.

So last week I sold my beloved EP3 Type R, this being my third one since 2005. I only purchased my third EP3 Type R because I found that after 4 months I couldnít live without one Ė how long will it be before I give in againÖ Anyway, I needed a practical and cheap to run car due to having a baby and needing to do long distances with work, the current shape Civic seemed the only choice for me, so this week I picked up a 2006 Albaster Silver 2.2 I-CTDI SE.

Below are my observations after just 1,000 miles, Iíve also made comparison to the Mk5 Golf as my wife has a TDI in SE trim.

Engine:

What an incredible unit it is! I knew from the reviews it was good but oh my god Iím astounded. Itís very smooth, gives little suggestion that itís a diesel and is very flexible in virtually any gear at any speed. Most noticeable is 50 Ė 70, or I say noticeable but actually it should be hardly noticeable Ė in the blink of an eye itís doing 70(+)!

The Golf engine by comparison is worlds apart, youíre never in any doubt itís a diesel and even with 105bhp itís currently delivering less MPG then the Civic. That said it is quick when you consider the output, again very strong from 50 Ė 70.

My only criticism so far and itís a weird one which youíll have to bear with me on, but from the inside of the car at speed from the right hand side I can hear the sound of the diesel engine Ė and it almost sounds false or artificial. It sounds like the noise is coming through the right round air vent. I really canít describe it better than that, from the passenger side you canít hear anything? Itís not loud but itís really irritating once Iíve homed in on it.

Ride and Handling:

Coming from a Type R I can honestly say itís got a smooth ride, but I can already sense itís not perfect. At low speeds itís fairly firm and a little crashy, Iíve also got a slight knocking noise from the front over heavily broken surfaces. But as speed picks up so does the ride quality, on the motorway or a fast bumpy a road itís a very nice ride. Handling is very good and it feels more nimble then the EP3 Type R ever did, and I donít mind the lighter steering either. And speaking of the steering, certainly a lot more feel over the EP3, although thatís really not hard. A little lifeless compared to the Golf which I was surprised to find.

As for the Golf, very smooth ride at all speeds and all surfaces which I think has something to do with the Golf weighing as much as a small planet. But handling is also very good, tons of grip and as mentioned above great steering feel.

If Iím honest I prefer the Golfís ride and handling combination, itís good all of the time whereas the Civic seems to have its moments.

Refinement:

This is where the Civic excels, especially over the Golf. The engine with the exception of the irritating noise mentioned above is hardly audible and wind and tyre noise seem to be very isolated. I can see myself enjoying this over many miles.

Well the Golfís engine is very noisy and thereís a lot of tyre noise, although wind noise is absent.

Quality:

The Civic seems a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to quality. Itís already covered 60,000 miles and Iím amazed thereís not any rattle in the cabin, and some of the materials feel top rate. Unfortunately it is let down by some cheap materials, the glovebox lid for example feels flimsy and about to fall off, the Golfís in comparison is like a safe vault and is lined with soft material. The sliding cover by the gear stick is stiff to open and squeaks, and some materials used seem to scratch easily.

I suppose Iím a bit of a sad person but I like the little details and this perhaps is for me where the Civic could do better. Like the lined glovebox lid, lumber support, wipers which disappear out of site when not in use, and little weights on the parcel shelf strings so they always look taught even when the boot is closed. I know itís sad, Iíll happily admit that, but these little things go a long way (at least with me).

The Golf is incredible bland inside, absolutely no emotion what so ever. But itís well made with the exception of the cheap feeling wiper/indicator stalks, only a slight rattle (its done 70,000 miles). Itís also very comfy and I liken it to my living room - so smooth and with seats so comfortable that you get off them feeling more relaxed, even after 200 miles (thatís the car doing 200 miles and not my lounge by the way).

Conclusion:

Despite a few downsides I really like the Civic, what it does well at it does exceptionally well at and far beyond what I expected. Just a shame thereís a few flaws Ė if you took the good parts of the Golf and Civic youíd have the perfect car (for me anyway).

Iím looking forward to many miles of happy Civic ownership!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2010, 14:50
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Very positive views.I find after driving another vehicle I become more aware of the Civic's better features.Perhaps the gruffer VW diesel really highlights the smooth Honda unit.On my second Civic,and both cars' middle compartment covers squealed.Silicone cures it for a while.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2010, 19:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the advice, I'll give silicone a go on the centre bit.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 25th January 2010, 17:17 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Just got some blue footwell lighting, so it's taken just a few days before I want to spend some money on it, so I must like it

Gave it a good clean at the weekend, despite having a good inspection before the buy I never really know until it's had a good clean - and I'm really impressed. Few stone chips on the front but nothing major, rest of the car is spotless so obviously well looked after.

Also forgot to mention above but really impressed with the Honda garage I purchased it from, Drake&Fletcher near Tunbridge Wells.

Already the annoyances are starting to fade and I'm starting to like this car a lot
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 25th February 2010, 21:01

Car: Renaultsport Clio 182
Eco display
Just read your review as I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 Octavia vRS for a 2.2 diesel Civic (in ES trim).

I must say it's a great review but from reading this review and all the faults to look for on this site, I'm a little put off, as I was under the impression that Honda build quality was second to none. It seems this isn't necessarily the case!

Saying that, I haven't always been bowled over by VAG build quality recently! I'm going to test drive a couple this weekend, so at least I'll be slightly better armed with info than before.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th February 2010, 07:36 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Another Basingstoke person

Best thing to do is take all cars you're interested in for a long drive and see how you find them.

Iíll be totally honest by saying the Civic is an excellent car but my preference still lies with the Golf Mk5 we have. Most days, and especially on long journeys, I always reach for the Golf keys. Which is a shame as Iíve been a Honda owner for nearly 5 years now.

Iíve got noisy steering creaking at the moment with the Civic and some sort of banging at the rear, this is probably whatís causing me to be a little annoyed with it at the moment.

But the engine is incredible, I absolutely love the 2.2 and is probably one of the best all round engine Iíve ever driven.

Good luck with the search.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th February 2010, 11:49
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Just read your review as I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 Octavia vRS for a 2.2 diesel Civic (in ES trim).

I must say it's a great review but from reading this review and all the faults to look for on this site, I'm a little put off, as I was under the impression that Honda build quality was second to none. It seems this isn't necessarily the case!

Saying that, I haven't always been bowled over by VAG build quality recently! I'm going to test drive a couple this weekend, so at least I'll be slightly better armed with info than before.
I'm going in the reverse direction:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/and-goo...y-goodbye.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st March 2010, 21:49

Car: 2.2 silver type s
at some point this year I will also be going back to skoda.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2010, 17:48 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Never owned a Skoda but did drive a hire car which was a new shape Skoda Fabia TDI S and I was very impressed

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page