3 weeks in 07 Diesel Sport - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st April 2010, 16:47 Thread Starter

3 weeks in 07 Diesel Sport

Well I thought I would give my opinion of my 07 Sport Diesel Civic I bought a few weeks back, have now completed 2K in her and this is what I think.

Build Quality - It's not a patch on any of my previous cars, Mondeo, Vectras, BMW even a Citroen but I find it acceptable, doors and switches feel good enough that they wont break too easy. The seats are comfy but I wished there was a lumber support adjuster for longer journeys, after a longer journey the other day I felt I had to pull over to stretch, I never have had that problem before, maybe I am getting old... but all in all its good enough.

Economy - My Odometer is showing I am doing around 43mpg mark that's 7mpg under my previous Mondeo TDCI which I find strange as I have a light foot, wonder if I can get this to increase, I hope but its not too bad. Them green lights on the dash are are normally showing 4 that's very hard to achieve, 6 is impossible almost, well for me.

Ride Quality - Well this is where I feel the step down from my bigger cars is normal but I am not used to, I find the ride not harsh at all but very crashy, noises from the back suspension is common place and the sloshing fuel usually only occurs around town, other than that I have no squeeks from the dash YET. The steering is my only concern but I will get used to it, being that the wheels are so close to the cabin that I tend to turn too quickly before the corner, driver error. Also I am feeling the road through the accelerator pedal but I hear this is normal, odd but least it is ok.

Performance - Unlike any diesel I have driven, there is no violent surge in speed it starts from the off, I find it more like a petrol engine but it is smooth and passengers don't end up dropping their food/drink when you accelerate hard which is a bonus.

Space - The space is just great, I had fitted 2 bass guitars, 2 guitar, 2 bass cabs, a guitar amp a drum kit and 3 passengers and we all had space left over, just great idea of moving that fuel tank made a huge difference. Glad I went for the 5 door too, them back doors that open at 90 degree angle makes all the difference you can put anything in this car, it will take it. The front also is roomy with bags of space to put items in, way better than my other cars, best feature by far for me.

Stereo - Awful, I am in the process of ripping the speakers out, padding the doors and putting an ipod kit in. So disappointed that a car of this money has such bad speakers, but least they can be changed and will.

Overall - Well would I buy this car again? Maybe, its the best looking car on the road apart from sports cars but it feel a tad cheap to drive, the clutch feels weak the steering a bit vague and I find you have to concentrate a little bit more to make sure it doesn't hit a pot hole due to the suspension, other than that the car has a lovely cabin feel and can swiftly accelerate if needed, I think it is still early days and once I get used to a smaller car it will be fine, just get the stereo fitted to hide the noises and it will be great. I love it for my smaller jaunts but my longer journeys I miss the Mondeo... I just have to get used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st April 2010, 16:55
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Nice review
The paint, fragile feel to the clutch and the crashing rear suspension made me trade mine in.
Good luck with it
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st April 2010, 17:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo51 View Post
Nice review
The paint, fragile feel to the clutch and the crashing rear suspension made me trade mine in.
Good luck with it
Yeah I can see why you did, but it does look nice, mind you I just hope I am not set in my ways and prefer bigger smoother cars. the Skoda you have looks great, I could easily clock up 500 miles a day in that I bet with no back ache

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st April 2010, 17:38
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash View Post
Yeah I can see why you did, but it does look nice, mind you I just hope I am not set in my ways and prefer bigger smoother cars. the Skoda you have looks great, I could easily clock up 500 miles a day in that I bet with no back ache
It has a lumbar adjuster
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st April 2010, 19:51

Car: 2006 Civic 2.2 CDTi EX
Nice detailed review there. I've only achieved 46.5 MPG best so far. I agree the interior plastics and door rest cloth is dissapointingly cheap at least on the 06 model I have. Road noise is very noticeable and it is quite cramped in the front. I don't get many dashboard noises either yet but know the Bump stops will need replacing, just hope it gets through the MOT as I don't have the cash at the moment to get it serviced.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st April 2010, 22:07
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
50mpg from a mondeo? i know 3 people with them not one manages over 40mpg and all 3 have had clutch and dpf failure before 80k along with injector issues and weak paint..... seems a common complaint with modern cars
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2010, 01:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by coste1l View Post
50mpg from a mondeo? i know 3 people with them not one manages over 40mpg and all 3 have had clutch and dpf failure before 80k along with injector issues and weak paint..... seems a common complaint with modern cars
Yeah 50 easily, for £55 fuel I was getting around 550 miles, which I think is really good. Also after a year of buying the mondeo at 50k the dmf was failing but the clutch still had life, it did me another 50k with that and although noisey never skipped a beat. Just hope if the Civic does the same it wouldn't just give up, I finally gave it up as I thought it must be soon that it will give in and I didn't want to fork out 1.5K for the DMF/Clutch. Luckily the injectors were fine but yes can be a 2k job if that happens.

Civic is great though so easy to park, why do people have problems reversing, I think it is loads easier than a saloon or estate car.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2010, 07:52
Supporter

Car: 2017 Civic 1.5 turbo sport +
I've driven a lot of cars being a mechanic and the road noise inside the civic really aint no noisier than other models on the road, if you wanna know hard suspension you wanna to drive a classic mini like i do not the BINI version,then youll be glad of the civic suspension.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 4th April 2010, 10:31
Supporter

Car: 2.2 CTDI, Tornado Silver
Had mine about a 8 weeks now and its superb, love it.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page