First Real Journey - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 22nd July 2006, 23:11 Thread Starter

First Real Journey

I just thought I would report on my first long drive in my new Civic.
Today we had a trip from Warrington to Scarborough and back again, approx 2 hours each way. It's the longest trip I have done in the car so far since I got it on Monday. Here are a few impressions :-

1. The Rain Sensing wipers are great, we had all sorts of rain on the way home from torrential thunder storms to road spray and the wipers got the speed right 100%, fantastic. It was so strange watching them adjust to the amount of rain and car speed.

2. Average MPG over the whole trip was 46.5, this is with only 400 miles on the clock, so not bad going. Use the cruise control most of the time which really does push up the MPG.

3. No issues with the radio really except for one poor area of reception, but that area was bad in my Beetle as well.

4. I am still getting used to revving the petrol engine after coming from my diesel Beetle. I am sure I will start to rev it more and use the performance.

5. Voice control is a bit hit and miss, but then again I don't know all the commands and they are not listed in the manual.

6. I have a creaking noise from the centre console which will need to be sorted as the car is very quiet and it annoys me.

7. The Climate Control is fantastic, very powerful and really works in the very hot weather.

8. I would prefer something other than velour on the seats as it collects every bit of fluff and crumbs, etc. Leather would be better but was not available on the car coming in to stock.

9. The Boot is VAST, end of story, we could not even fill the underfloor storage today!

10. I think the standard sound system is great, more than up to my requirements. It's clear and plenty loud enough.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th July 2006, 12:08

Re: First Real Journey

Nice to hear from your experiences, since I'm still waiting to get mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky
10. I think the standard sound system is great, more than up to my requirements. It's clear and plenty loud enough.
I'm actually considering, whether I should cancel the Bass Works option from my order. Considering all the bad reviews it's gotten over here, methinks it may not be worth the money?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 25th July 2006, 13:18
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252
Nice to hear from your experiences, since I'm still waiting to get mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky
I'm actually considering, whether I should cancel the Bass Works option from my order. Considering all the bad reviews it's gotten over here, methinks it may not be worth the money?
Ditch it, go for coaxials front and rear.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen
Ditch it, go for coaxials front and rear.
And so I did. The Bass Works have been cancelled from my order now, and I'm looking for a shop that can sell and install those Infinities for me. A local shop called "HiFi-Studio 17" at least sells them, but I haven't been able to find out if they install them, too, because they've been closed for the last few days due to a home & estate expo over here.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 08:10

Not sure if it's just imagination, but in my opinion the std sound system sounds pretty ok when playing mp3 and normal audio cd's compared to radio stations. Maybe it's just a matter of which radio station I listen to, but somehow the sound quality is not as good as with CD and mp3.

So I mostly play mp3 cd's when driving in my Civic

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 11:15

Well, there have been some complaints about poor radio reception in the Civics, maybe it's because of that?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 14:06

Quote:
Well, there have been some complaints about poor radio reception in the Civics, maybe it's because of that?
well, not sure, for me the radio reception has been good so far, it's more the radio channel audio quality which is not as good as with cd's and mp3's
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 14:21

I'm only a prospective Civic owner (get my weekend test drive delivered tomorrow! can't wait) but the poor radio reception sounds familiar to me with my current Alfa 156. What I think they have in common is the aerial mounted within the rear screen, so perhaps that's something to do with it.

By the way, roughly how many normal audio CDs can you get on a CD with tracks recorded as MP3s (I know it depends on compression, but just a vague answer would be nice for now - help me decide what to do etc)?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 14:48
Smell My Cheese!

I managed to get 9 CD's on one MP3 disc. Although they were not long albums. I managed 8 CD's of compilations, circa 20 songs per CD. Depending on track length you should get between 140 and 160 tracks, I am copying them at 128 kbps to media player, and then using Nero to burn the CD, although there are plenty of opinions around for good CD software.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 14:48
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Soprendo
I'm only a prospective Civic owner (get my weekend test drive delivered tomorrow! can't wait) but the poor radio reception sounds familiar to me with my current Alfa 156. What I think they have in common is the aerial mounted within the rear screen, so perhaps that's something to do with it.

By the way, roughly how many normal audio CDs can you get on a CD with tracks recorded as MP3s (I know it depends on compression, but just a vague answer would be nice for now - help me decide what to do etc)?

700MB cd is about 10-15 albums depending on length and quality in MP3 format.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 15:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Soprendo

I encode MP3 at 160 mbs which gives me a about 10 CD's per CD.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 15:11
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uffe
Maybe it's just a matter of which radio station I listen to, but somehow the sound quality is not as good as with CD and mp3.
Well, most Finnish radio stations are cr*p anyway so you're not missing out on much.

I guess I'll have to start compiling my MP3 CDs so that I'll be all set when the car finally does arrive.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat
Quote:
Maybe it's just a matter of which radio station I listen to, but somehow the sound quality is not as good as with CD and mp3.
Well, most Finnish radio stations are cr*p anyway so you're not missing out on much.

I guess I'll have to start compiling my MP3 CDs so that I'll be all set when the car finally does arrive.
Yeah Copycat, indeed they are, so I've noticed over the years... it's a good idea to start compiling a lot of mp3 cd's now before you get your baby
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th July 2006, 15:57

Quote:
well, not sure, for me the radio reception has been good so far, it's more the radio channel audio quality which is not as good as with cd's and mp3's
It could be because many radio stations "overcook" their broadcasts. They use heavy dynamic compression to maximize the output volume of the music and speech so that it sounds loud and clear on cheap poor quality radio speakers. But this also ruins the dynamics of the audio, meaning it will sound crap on good speakers.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th July 2006, 06:49

Quote:
Quote:
It could be because many radio stations "overcook" their broadcasts. They use heavy dynamic compression to maximize the output volume of the music and speech so that it sounds loud and clear on cheap poor quality radio speakers. But this also ruins the dynamics of the audio, meaning it will sound crap on good speakers.
Valid point there, I think so too! For example Radio Energy is a good example of such overcooking which fu*** up the dynamics

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page