1100 Mile - 3 Week Review - Type S GT 1.8 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th April 2007, 22:10 Thread Starter
pjr
Supporter

Car: Mk VII Golf GTI
Eco display
1100 Mile - 3 Week Review - Type S GT 1.8

Ok, had my Civic for just over 3 weeks now - what do I think about it, my dealer, things I like, things I don't like and things I miss from my previous car.

First up, what was my dealer like ? Sales side was great - to explain, I was either considering a 1.8 ES or the 1.8 Type S GT. The way I saw it, the list price was only about 150 different and the spec was pretty near identical - Other than the lack of rear doors and the not quite so magic seats, the Type S GT had all the same kit, with the bonus of 17" wheels as standard.

My first test drive was in a 1.8 SE as an ES wasn't available - really liked the car from this first test drive and even managed to convince my wife at this point that the Civic was the car for us. There had been previous resistance to the Civic from Mrs pjr due to the styling - in particular the split rear window/spoiler and the bubbles over the rear indicators - Minor points in my opinion! The interior of the car sold it to us, in comparison to the other cars we were comparing. The Golf was too plain and sensible inside, and the Auris felt like it was made from much cheaper plastics, including a wobbly centre console housing the gear lever & handbrake.

So, after deciding on the Civic, then had to choose 3 or 5 doors - I preferred 3, wife preferred 5. One thing which could have swung us in the direction of the 5 door was fitting the car into our garage - I knew it would fit (if only just) through the door - The mirrors are huge!, but thought I might have problems getting out of the car once in the garage, because the 3 door has such long front doors. Had a second test drive, this type in a Type S GT and checked I could get into the garage etc. At this point the decision was made to go for the Type S GT, so it was back to the dealer to talk money & availability.

Had decided on either Milano Red, Alabaster Silver, or Nighthawk Black, in that order - couldn't get a 1.8 GT in Red or Black until June - could get a Silver one in 2 weeks! Not the best reason for choice of colour, but it was one of my preferred colours - would have probably endured the wait if there were only other colours available.

Managed to get free mats & flaps and a spare wheel out of the dealer, as well as a bit of discount of the list price - shown on the invoice as an overvaluation of my old car - net result was the same though. Also ordered the rear parking sensors and door rubbing strips.

Car arrived as promised 2 weeks later - looked stunning in the sunlight outside the dealer - Did all the paperwork and then went to check the car over (I know the Wiki suggests doing it the other way round, but excitement got the better of me) Went through the checklist - nothing amiss (that I noticed at the time) - except the rear mudflaps, which were on back order and even the salesman hadn't noticed, or been told about.

The week after I picked the car up, I was on holiday so spent every day going here, there and everywhere, with the main intention of having the car run in by the end of the week. In that first week, did about 700 miles, and I only usually do about 8,000 a year! Also, during this first week carried so many passengers, it made me wonder why I'd bought a 3 door - the forgetful seat adjustment got to be a real pain - Doesn't bother me so much now as normally only travel 2 up.

Car went back to the dealer a fortnight after picking it up, to get the mudflaps fitted as well as a few minor problems fixed - the boot light hadn't been reconnected when the parking sensors were being fitted, and the rear numberplate had air bubbles in several places. There was also a loud rattle from the tailgate over bigger bumps. All these were fixed during my lunch hour - light reconnected, new rear numberplate & the tailgate was adjusted to stop it rattling. Other than these, haven't had any problems.

So what do I like and dislike.

Cruise Control - don't know how I lived without this - stops me speeding inadvertently, probably helps my fuel consumption & makes motorway journeys so much more relaxing.
Glass roof is ace - car is so much lighter with the blinds open, and snug and enveloping when closed.
MP3 stereo - Glad I didn't opt for the Ipod connection, bearing in mind its limited functionality - All my CDs are stored on my PC anyway (for my Ipod), so just a case of copying the required folders onto a CD - Ideal!
6 Speed Gearbox - took a bit of getting used to as the gears are stacked closer together than I had before - I like how the engine is only revving at about 2900 when doing 70 - very hushed and smooth.
Looks - Love what my Civic looks like - the triangular exhausts, side profile, glass roof (again), scuplted side skirts and front & rear valances - the whole package really. Also really like the blue dash lighting and the silver & black seats.

Dislikes
As others have mentioned, over the shoulder visibility is quite poor, although the mirrors do compensate.
The speakers may well get upgraded when I feel brave enough, as the sound is a bit tinny for my liking.
The sliding seats which forget their position.
Not much else really - sometimes wish the ride was just that little bit softer, but the firm suspension pays dividends in the handling stakes.

Anything I miss from my previous car(s)
The Xenon HiD lights on my Mazda 3 were really good, and I thought I would take bad with the halogen lights in the Civic - No they aren't as good, but still perfectly adequate - currently contemplating replacing the bulbs as it looks like an easy enhancement.
Liked the lumbar support in my Mazda - Civic has slightly softer seats, but despite driving hundreds of miles in one day, didn't have any aches & pains afterwards.

So, on the whole, very very pleased with my new toy. Engine is getting smoother and punchier as the miles roll by, and now that it is kind of run in, managed to check that the rev lights work correctly! Performance is brilliant for a 1.8, and easily the equal of my previous 2.0 Mazda - the fuel economy is much much better - currently averaging about 36-37 with a mixture of short & long journeys, with around 40ish on a long run. Handling seems very secure - I'm not really one to throw my car about in the bends, but have sometimes found myself travelling faster than I realise round corners. The steering is incredibly direct, but I'll get used to it in time.

Have I been converted to the brand of Honda (This is my first) - You could say that - let's hope the good times continue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th April 2007, 22:16

seems like a fair overview, good to see the few faults were quikly amended, also obviously no car has everything we want but it seems the civic has the best mixture
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 25th April 2007, 11:27

I too have had my Type-S GT for 3 weeks now and have done a similar amount of mileage. However, I went for the 2.2 Diesel in the end. I tested both the Petrol and Diesel and found for the longer journeys the Diesel is more comfortable - only 2,000 RPM at 70 makes it even quieter. Worth the extra 1300 - not sure but I have the option to chip it in future

In comparison to my previous EP3 Type-R, the Type-S is obviously slower and doesn't have the iVTEC kick but it is so much more comfortable.

Like pjr, I park my car in the garage so the GT with the powered mirrors is great - just need to get the garage door automated now .

Comfortable, quiet, economical, MUCH cheaper insurance than before, cruise control, steering wheel stereo controls, glass roof

Dislikes:
Hearing the fuel sloshing around the tank when manoeuvring at low speeds, iffy over the shoulder viability, power mirrors don't work with out ignition on, auto-door lock hack doesn't work

Summary:
Very pleased with it so far. The service from the 2 dealers I've used has been excellent and that would make changing to another manufacturer more difficult.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th July 2007, 16:21

Your experiences are very similar to mine with my 1.8 ES five door. I've got about 800km on it now and am loving it. Getting about 36 mpg with a mixture of rural and urban driving (no motorways). I was getting 29-30 in my old Hyundai Coupe 1.6 with about 35 fewer horses!

I would have loved to get the diesel (diesel is cheaper than petrol here) but Honda just don't sell it in Ireland - Our tax system punishes you for having a large engine (they consider 2 litres large), no matter what its CO2 output.
My father has the 2.2 ictdi in his accord and its awesome, I imagine its even better in the smaller, lighter civic.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th July 2007, 17:55
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Fair review, and very interesting to read !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th July 2007, 20:33 Thread Starter
pjr
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Further thoughts...

Ok, so the original post was written after I'd had my Civic for 3 weeks - 3 months down the line has anything changed ?

Not a lot really - still loving it, although as you'll see from my signature I haven't been able to resist the temptation to tinker.

Also have some revisions of my original post

CD/Radio - I am of the opinion that the speakers have bedded in a little now, and sound much better than they did originally - so not planning to change them anytime soon.

FM Transmitter - The lure of having 5000+ songs available in the car proved too much. Very happy with the performance of the Macally FM Cup transmitter (Review here - Post #19 http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthr...hlight=macally)

Headlight bulbs - I've replace both main & dipped beam bulbs with Philips Vision Plus (+50%) bulbs - To the untrained eye they do look brighter, but haven't had a chance to try them in the dark yet. (Probably not the best time of year to fit new headlamp bulbs, what with the long hours of daylight up here!)

Fuel Economy/Performance - Overall economy since start is currently sitting at an indicated 38.2 - This is over a complete mixture of driving, with a bias towards short urban driving. Peak fuel economy over 200+ miles was an indicated 50.1, which is brilliant. Engine really starting to loosen up now, and really eager to rev. Discovered yesterday that 4 rev lights in 2nd gear equates to over 60mph! Sometimes get caught out with a lack of torque, when overtaking, but a change down from 6th to 3rd usually works!

Visibility - Glad I opted for the parking sensors, they are absolutely brilliant at helping you slot the car into small spaces. Also getting used to the lack of over shoulder visibility.

Still a happy bunny!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th July 2007, 21:57

happy and worried

i to have the type s gt very happy with it 1.8, the only prob ive had is vandals ! cracked my windscreen ...bas...ds . it worries me getting this replaced with autoglass tomorrow i just feel they will prob damage the paint or the trim round glass will not be the same or the inside will be damaged in some way or another, has anyone else had this replaced without any probs?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2007, 21:34

I have had my Type S GT for 3 days, have come from a Laguna 1.9 Diesel doing on average 43mpg to my Civic 1.8 petrol getting 37mpg, but guess what, I don't care, doing 300 miles a week it will cost me a bit more but its worth it to smile and enjoy driving. Acceleration is good, the exhaust note sounds great and in Vivid Blue it stands out on the road.

I used to really look forward to taking out our other car, a Renaultsport Clio 172 which the wife uses during the week as she does less miles, but I don't think I want to drive that for a while just yet
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th October 2007, 11:24
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Great review, really made good reading as a newbie.

On the MPG stakes, mines running at about 35mpg (2-3 days old), will it improve as the car is broken in????? I must admit coming from a 2.2. petrol, this thing is far far far fasterr 0-60 wise and at the top end it is just marginally slower. With breaking mine in, I'm just driving normally, not taking it massively easy (but easier than usual if you see what I'm trying to say.....), I've had the rev lights (only 2 mind), on once in almost 200 miles of driving, when I forgot myself on a dual carrageway going past a lorry..... Anyone else feel a little unstable if they go too quick from standing (like the backs stepping out too much????).

Tom
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th October 2007, 13:06 Thread Starter
pjr
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Great review, really made good reading as a newbie.

On the MPG stakes, mines running at about 35mpg (2-3 days old), will it improve as the car is broken in????? I must admit coming from a 2.2. petrol, this thing is far far far fasterr 0-60 wise and at the top end it is just marginally slower. With breaking mine in, I'm just driving normally, not taking it massively easy (but easier than usual if you see what I'm trying to say.....), I've had the rev lights (only 2 mind), on once in almost 200 miles of driving, when I forgot myself on a dual carrageway going past a lorry..... Anyone else feel a little unstable if they go too quick from standing (like the backs stepping out too much????).

Tom
I think your MPG should improve as the engine loosens up, although it very much depends on your style of driving (how heavy your right foot is ), and the sort of roads you drive on - Town, A Road, Motorway etc. I do quite a lot of town driving and the trip computer is showing about 38 mpg since new (5000+ miles)

On a long journey, should easily see mid 40s or higher.

Haven't noticed any problems with stability, either accelerating from a standstill, or going round corners - car feels planted to the road.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th October 2007, 14:07
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Hi,

I've never bought a car from new before, so am running it in how I've been told (by my father, just drive it like normal he said..... ). So it should do better as the car loosens up.... great.

I took off this morning getting out of a tricky junction and the back stepped out, yet the VSA didn't kick in???? I might turn off the VSA and see what happens... I'm used to not having the VSA on (my last car I always had it off except for bad weather conditions), and used the back out step to my advantage and adapted to it, maybe I'm just not used to the car yet, I'm sure I will, I LOVE IT so much so far, the ride (whoever said the ride was too hard, personally its almost not hard enough, but I can live with it beign just about perfect ), the handling, the power (left a T reg Golf GTI for dead yesterday [It never revved too hard or went to near the Rev lights], not quite sure how, maybe the badge wasn't real, lol???). It's getting better, but I checked my oil this morning to be on the safe side, it's not easy to see though is it [maybe it's my duff eyesight??]. The car is perfect, I will post pic's when she's had a good wash (I've spent three figures on car cleaning stuff already, uh-oh, there goes my student loan, lol).

Tom

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page