4 years old ! ... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th October 2011, 21:30 Thread Starter
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,110 Times in 830 Posts
4 years old ! ...

Well, it's my Civic's 4th. Birthday right about now - I bought it as my Birthday present to myself ! ...

As per my Avatar & Signature, it's a 5-door 1.8 Galaxy Grey 'Executive' (EX in the UK) and it's still wonderful ...

With the exception of my CD-player packing in earlier this year (and a used replacement refused to work as well, so I guess the problem might be in the HU connection), I've really had zero issues with the car as supplied ...

It cost me NoK 300K here (then £ 30K) in 2007, including 17" Summer and 16" Winter shoes ...

As my evil bitch ex-'samboer' ('bidie-in') had previously made off with both of the cars that I was still paying for, I had nothing to trade in ...

In the end, I decided to keep all my spare cash, and took a 100% car loan, over 5 years, from Santander - I already had one of their Credit Cards, and this meant I got a reduced % on the loan and a Platinum upgrade on the card - but, still one year left to pay for ! ...

It was love (lust !) at first sight, when I saw and sat in a Civic - I was a really easy mark for the salesman - rubbing my groin against the car was (with hindsight) not my best negotiation tactic ...

I signed up for the Forum, shortly after I took delivery, and the rest is history - well bitten by the urge to make the car 'uniquely mine' ...

2008 : I contented myself with a Leather interior - from [TL] in Rotherham Yorkshire - top quality material and workmanship - a 'custom' job for an 'off the shelf' price - it still looks ace ...

2009 : It was time for some mechanical upgrades - bought EBC Turbo Groove brake disks and Greenstuff brake pads, and had them installed locally - then, 'niggled' just a bit by the bouncy suspension, it was a trip to [ABP] for Koni FSD shocks and Eibach lowering springs & wheel spacers, plus (on impulse due to them being SO shiny) Stoptech braided stainless steel brake hoses - the whole package just transformed the car ...

2010 : A bunch of various stuff, mostly sourced from the UK and all installed locally - biggest things were the Si Grill and the Trunk spoiler - lots of bits'n'bobs bought from the Forum as well - basically, everything not mentioned in 2008 \ 2009 \ 2011 ...

2011 : The year for Electronic Gizmos and Colour Coding ! - all the electrical \ electronic stuff in my signature, bought quite cheaply from the UK & Forum, and installed VERY expensively (and some is still wrong !) by my Dealer here - then the 'JAE' trip to the UK, where the planned plastic painting work became rather bigger, due to the bloody accident damage on the way there - and then there was a stop at [TDi-North] for the K&N 571 intake and their short shifter - plus a tour to [ABP] for caliper and hub etc. painting - since then I've also colour coded new number plate frames and the Aluminium fuel filler cap lid - now some 'FlyEyes Grey 2' ready to be applied to the lower rear perspex window (that's probaly all for this year) - oh, nearly forgot, I'm going to get the Tuning package that several 1.8 owners have signed up for, probably in November (will involve posting the ECU to the UK) ...

2012 : Mmmmmmm - what next ? - I do have a set of 'drop links' and I'm thinking about these "rigid subframe mounts" - but, that'll be in the Spring, after the Summer shoes go back on (Winter shoes will be fitted very soon) - and I do have a desire for the 5-spoke Type S wheels (5 studs and 7 spokes is doing my head in !) ...

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but it can't be anything big - oh, and along the way, I've de-badged \ de-decaled \ de-stickered as far as is possible, as it's the "clean" look I'm after ...

Will I sell my or trade-in my Civic once the loan is paid off ? - right now, I can't see me ever getting rid of it - after all, it's basically fault free ...

Also considering I've spent another 50% of the purchase price doing all the mods ! - although perhaps my eldest son will "inherit" it, when I do buy another car ...

I know that most reviews list the pros and the cons - but, for me, it's been more or less 100% pros ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th October 2011, 21:51
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Great review JDR and good to see you're still enjoying the car.

I have to agree the leather upgrade from Transform does look very nice indeed.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th October 2011, 21:54
Supporter

Garage
How many fault free miles / km have you done so far ?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th October 2011, 22:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro View Post
How many fault free miles / km have you done so far ?
Only a bit over 40,000 Miles - and a large part of that has been my one or two long road trips per year ...

In a normal week, it's not much at all, as I work some 20 Km from where I live, and all the shops on a Saturday are mostly within a 10 Km radius ...

In Norway, annual mileages are either very low (people usually fly any distance at all) or very high for just a few ...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 18th October 2011, 22:42
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
Only a bit over 40,000 Miles - and a large part of that has been my one or two long road trips per year ...

In a normal week, it's not much at all, as I work some 20 Km from where I live, and all the shops on a Saturday are mostly within a 10 Km radius ...

In Norway, annual mileages are either very low (people usually fly any distance at all) or very high for just a few ...
40k with no faults is very good. I have had a couple of minor faults in 50k miles.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 00:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro View Post
40k with no faults is very good. I have had a couple of minor faults in 50k miles.
Well, for me, it was only the CD player - that, and the grinning glove puppets that my Dealer calls mechanics ! ...

Bear in mind that I've thrashed the car up Norwegian mountain roads that are more vertical than horizontal, whacked it across horribly frost-broken tarmac on the mountain plateaus, and spent up to 12 hours at a time flat out through the Danish \ German \ Dutch motorway system ...

In contrast, my Monday to Friday driving is a mixture of crawling and sitting still ...

Never once has the engine or anything else mechanical missed a single beat - of course, I do practise simple "preventative maintenance", like I'm a fanatic about having the engine oil and filter and spark plugs changed more often than Honda say - and I'm now a total convert to the oil and fuel treatments from "powerenhancer" that [Relic] discovered (they really work !) ...

Last edited by J. Derek Riddell; 19th October 2011 at 10:24. Reason: typos ...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 06:15
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
Well, for me, it was only the CD player - that, and the grinning glove puppets that my Dealer calls mechanics ! ...

Bear in mind that I've thrashed the car up Norwegian mountain roads that are more vertical than horizontal, whacked it across horribly frost-broken tarmac on the mountain plateaus, and spent up to 12 hours at a time flat out through the Danish \ German \ Dutch motorway system ...

In contrast, my Monday to Friday driving is a mixture of crawling and sitting still ...

Never once has the engine or anything else mechanical missed a single beat - of course, I do practice simple "preventive maintenance", like I'm a fanatic about haviing the engine oil and filter and spark plugs changed more often than Honda say - and I'm now a total convert to the oil and fuel treatments from "powerenhancer" that [relic] discovered (they really work !) ...
Have you considered having NH_Dan's mechanics in South Croydon service it on a while-you-wait basis next time your over here ?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 07:03
Supporter

Car: CW Civic FD2
Quote:
rubbing my groin against the car was (with hindsight) not my best negotiation tactic
This made me lolz
Glad your still enjoying the car buddy, Heres to many more years of trouble free driving.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 09:06
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
good going jdr glad you still love her!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 10:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Have you considered having NH_Dan's mechanics in South Croydon service it on a while-you-wait basis next time your over here ?
It did cross my mind to drop in this year on the way up from the south coast, just out of curiosity if nothing else, but the accident damage forced my schedule ...

However, I did have TDi-North do a quick service while I was in Warrington (where the Bodyshop was) - and they didn't charge £150 per hour for labour ...

NH_Dan \ South Croydon, in 2012 ? ...

Last edited by J. Derek Riddell; 19th October 2011 at 10:25. Reason: missed a bit ...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 11:18

Car: 2013 suzuki swift sport
Why Derek it's merely a pup!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 20:23
Supporter

Car: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE CVT
Garage
Great review Derek. Just a quickie - do you use 99 RON fuel in your 1.8? My handbook says 95 RON "or higher" indicating there might be some advantage from using a higher octane fuel.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 20:27
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Great review JDR.

Is the CD working now or is it still a problem?

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 20:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteo48 View Post
Great review Derek. Just a quickie - do you use 99 RON fuel in your 1.8? My handbook says 95 RON "or higher" indicating there might be some advantage from using a higher octane fuel.
Good question ...

I normally use Esso 98, from my local gas station - when travelling, I always look for 98 \ 99, but sometimes have to settle for 95 - and in Denmark recently, all I could find was 92 ! ...

Difference ? - engine definitely runs smoother on over 95 - and loses some oomph on under 95 ...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 21:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
Great review JDR. Is the CD working now or is it still a problem?
Still not working - both the original and a nearly new replacement (owner fitted a double din unit shortly after he bought the car) display the same problem ...

So, I guess the problem is a bad connection to the HU or the HU itself - either way, I'm going to have to find somewhere that knows what they are doing - my Dealer told me the replacement was fine (but it just works for about 5 minutes), just like they 'fried' my magic box (from Bog) and "forgot" to install one of the Dension 300 cables (after forgetting 3 cables the first time) ...

Hence my reference to "Grinning Glove Puppets" ...

I really hate the fact that it doesn't work, despite the fact that plugging USB sticks into the Dension 300 is such a good solution ...
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 21:48
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Good review, indeed!

You have put waay too much love, care and money into your 'horseless carriage' to sell it after just five years....let's see in another five years!...
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 23:02

Car: 2008 ES 1.8 i-VTEC i-Shift
30K on a Civic!!!! Are all cars pricey there?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 19th October 2011, 23:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgerx View Post
30K on a Civic!!!! Are all cars pricey there?
Oh yes ...

The CTR then cost about £45K - huge tax on BHP here (and only a much smaller part based on emissions !) ...
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 21st October 2011, 22:19 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Tiny setback ...

When I colour coded the number plate frames and fuel cap lid, I thought a good sanding and degreasing would be enough preparation ...

EPIC FAIL !!! ...

After a hailstorm the other day, the paint / lacquer stared to flake off - and now I've discovered that I overadjusted the fuel cap catch, so the release in the car doesn't work ...

Fortunately, a Honda special tool (to a lay person it seems to resemble a bent teaspoon !) opens the cap very nicely, until I figure out what I did wrong ...

Today I bought coarser emery paper and Aluminium & Plastic primers - and more spray paint is on its way from the UK ...

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in