The first 3500 kms - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 12:12 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up The first 3500 kms

It's about time I wrote this I think... But let's start at the beginning.

I picked up my brand new Civic (1.8 i-Vtec, Nighthawk Black) on June 6th, 2007, leaving my old Mercedes A-Class at the Honda dealer.

Picking the car up was actually quite fun. Having been reading this forum since I ordered the car in February, there was absolutely nothing new that the dealer's sales guy could tell me during handover. In fact, I think I told him a thing or two that he didn't know. Lots of fun!

Mileage on the brand new car: 17km
(don't know why it's still called mileage when it's in km, but apparently it is)

First thing I did upon arrival at my office: I Rain-X-ed the rear window and the wing mirrors and applied the civinfo.com sticker to the inside of the rear plastic thingy.

A few hours afterwards, I took the car out for a spin. It was a balmy dry summer evening and I found a quiet country road close to home, so I decided to run the car in according to the Mototune recommendations. That was a bit scary sometimes (because you need to go quite fast at times) and I discovered that you can actually go 90kph in second gear, but overall it was quite satisfying and the engine felt really nice and smooth afterwards.

On Friday the 8th, I was ready to start my holiday. First of all, it's amazing how much space there is left in the boot even after I put my big suitcase in. The old A-Class' boot was pretty much filled up with it, the Honda's just seems to say "gimme more!".

Started off in Amsterdam around 6 in the morning, driving towards Germany. Figured out on the way how to avoid massive UMTS roaming charges by pairing my TomTom with my German phone instead of the Dutch one, so traffic updates could be downloaded cheaply. German border approaching... 3... 2... 1... GO!

Road going slightly downhill: speedometer said 214 kph, TomTom said 207.
Straight road: speedometer said 211 kph, TomTom said 205. Fair enough.

It's really nice to be able to get some acceleration in 6th gear at 170 and I found that the car actually runs smoothest at around 190, which is a perfectly fine cruising speed. I filled it up with Shell V-Power (100 octane) at every stop, just because I thought a new car deserves the best "food" it can get And boy, was it thirsty!

Admittedly, I was pushing it quite hard on the way to Munich and I was making extremely good time, but the new engine really just guzzled it down. Making less than 300 miles on a full tank of petrol is not something I expected the Civic to do (more about that later though).

Having been born and bred in Germany I enjoyed driving there immensely, since somehow I feel I can gauge better how other drivers will react on the Autobahn. So driving was very pleasant and apart from the odd Audi, BMW and Porsche, I was pretty mich leaving everuone behind. Especially all my fellow yellow-plated Dutch drivers who somehow never seem to dare taking their cars past 140 kph. Whenever I passed one of them at a speed of around 200 kph, I could almost feel them shaking their heads at me, mentally chiding me for my un-Dutch driving style, unworthy of the yellow plates.

After getting stuck in a traffic jam for an hour (apparently two lorries had collided and caught fire earlier, effectively blocking one of the most important streteches of Autobahn for a day) I made it to Munich in the early afternoon, 803 km and two refuelling stops after I had started in Amsterdam. I was a bit tired, but the comfy seats really make long distance driving a pleasure. The cooled glove compartment makes sure that your candy bars don't melt and there are plenty of beverage holders to hold all the fluids necessary for a long trip.

Needless to say, the Civic went down very well with all the friends and family I met during my stay in Munich, even my grandmother found something positive to say about the spaceship design.
Compliments also from a cute young hitch-hiker we took on board for a short ride near Garmisch-Partenkirchen. That is after he waited outside the car looking a bit sheepish for a few seconds until he realized where the back door handles were "hidden".

A friend from Berlin joined me in Munich for my 4-day stay there and we drove around quite a lot of Bavaria, enjoying the scenery, the weather, the food and the lovely ride. On Tuesday though, we left Munich and headed towards Berlin. Again, the ride on the Autobahn was a lot of fun and we reached Berlin in no time at all (550 km in just under 5 hours, including a lunch break).

In Berlin, the real advantages of the car's massive boot space became apparent. I was always going to do a lot of shopping there, so I lowered the flap to the lower baggage compartment and just put anything I bought in there, to avoid things falling around. I went shopping for clothes, food, presents and all manner of other things and there was just no end to the amount of stuff I could fit in there. When I finally packed up to return to Amsterdam on Sunday, the boot was still more than half empty, but everything I had bought just fit in there so neatly that I decided not to put my suitcase in there as well. Instead, I flipped one of the back seats up and put it there. How practical is that? I absolutely love it!

Of course Berlin is a really big city and I was basically driving around all the time I was there, so when I got back to Amsterdam (another 550 km or so), the odometer showed a grand total of almost 3500 km (2180 miles), all done in a week.

Sice then, another week has passed and I find that fuel consumption has gone down considerably when not driving on German Autobahns. I now average around 7.5l/100km driving a good mix of Dutch highway and Amsterdam city traffic. The engine sounds smooth like a kitten, the handling is perfect and I've finally acquired some sort of feeling for where the car ends (since it's absolutely impossible to see from the inside), so parking is now fun again. Reversing is still tricky with the huge c-column blocking much of the view, but with the wing mirrors adjusted a little more outwards than you would usually expect, the blind spot can be pretty much compensated for.

All in all, after thoroughly getting to know the car in the past 2 weeks, I'm still totally in love with it. Drove alongside another black Civic the other day on the Highway, looked over to its driver and got a nice smile back that said to me "How lucky are we?" - Still can't believe how lucky I am to be driving this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 13:15
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
great write up!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 15:56
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Excellent write up, sounds like a fun trip! I'd love to go on a big Euro road trip!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 08:06
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andischatz View Post
I discovered that you can actually go 90kph in second gear
You didn't really pushed it then, did you

Welcom to the forum and enjoy your car!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 11:00
Supporter

You can go actually over 100km/h in 2nd gear
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 08:21
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Nice write up as mentioned by CP !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 08:24 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7 View Post
You can go actually over 100km/h in 2nd gear
Well I dare you to do that on the first day you own a brand spanking new car 90kph was exciting enough for me. Just wanted to see those rev lights come on, really.

Thanks to all for liking my little writeup!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 08:44
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
You have to be careful with going over 100km/h in second. It's possible to do it, but you'll be seeing all rev lights come on and if you still keep pushing it, will soon hit the limiter. Trust me I know.

But really, that's how an i-VTEC is supposed to be driven. Unless you want to get some miles per gallon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 19:58
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat View Post
You have to be careful with going over 100km/h in second. It's possible to do it, but you'll be seeing all rev lights come on and if you still keep pushing it, will soon hit the limiter. Trust me I know.
No it won't hit rev limiter.... at least for ones with i-SHIFT

andischatz, it took me over 1000km to get over 5500rpm, as didn't want to rev engine too hard when it was spanking new. But now, I just let i-SHIFT shift on edge of rev limit itself in some situations

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page