"Happy Reading" - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12th July 2007, 18:03 Thread Starter
Supporter

"Happy Reading"

Another reading article from this weeks autoexpress...enjoy

Honda Civic Type R
Long Term report

With its space-age looks, our Civic Type R goes boldly wherever we take it. What’s it like to drive every day?

By Ross Pinnock
July 2007

Civic's sci-fi design is growing on Ross

With the full rev range available, the Type R comes alive, and while it doesn’t have the power of our long-term VW Golf GTI Edition 30, its frenetic delivery and raw pace more than match those of rivalsScientists haven’t found life on another planet yet, but if aliens turned up tomorrow, chances are they would like the Honda Civic. Its futuristic styling and cabin are sure to appeal to anyone who uses a spaceship to get around!

The Type R version would also be the ideal car for demonstrating the whole hot hatch concept to a visitor from Mars – not least because it has already won an Auto Express shoot-out against its eight major rivals.

But what’s it like to live with on a daily basis? Will the ride comfort get on your nerves? Will the sci-fi looks date? They’re the questions we hope to answer, as we’ve added the Honda to our long-term fleet.
I’ve never been the biggest fan of the new Civic’s styling, but the Type R is growing on me. Its body-coloured wheelarch extensions, mesh grille and smart 18-inch alloys are all good additions.
Since it arrived in May, we have already managed to clock up 3,470 miles. Yet even during the gentle 1,000-mile running in period, the three-door car was winning us over. Despite the engine’s rev-hungry reputation, it proved surprisingly sprightly, even when restricted to our self-imposed 4,000rpm limit.

The firm ride is also much more bearable than I expected, although it does crash into the worst potholes on my daily south London commute.

However, the driving position is compromised, because even
at its lowest setting, the chair feels too high for my lanky six-
foot frame, and the steering wheel obscures the top of the
rev counter. My colleague, road test editor Oliver Marriage, has also highlighted the Honda’s poor-quality headlamps.

With the full rev range available, the Type R comes alive, and while it doesn’t have the power of our long-term VW Golf GTI Edition 30, its frenetic delivery and raw pace more than match those of rivals.
Unfortunately, the slick six-speed manual box doesn’t have the precision of the old car’s, and you need to be positive with the alloy lever, particularly when shifting into third gear. Even so, the well judged ratios are perfectly matched to the VTEC engine. On a sour note, the Honda has already been to the garage once, and is on its way again. Its first visit was the result of a puncture caused by a screw, which had pierced the shoulder of the offside rear tyre.

Its second visit is because of damage to the nearside sill, which was scraped on an urban width restrictor. Fortunately, the metalwork seems to have escaped unscathed, so while damage and miles have ended the Honda’s honeymoon period, the early signs are full of promise.

It’s a hoot to drive, and its frantic 2.0-litre engine also sounds better than any of its hot hatch rivals. If there is a better example of the breed in the galaxy, we’ve yet to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12th July 2007, 18:09

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6846

just couldnt be bothered to copy it all
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12th July 2007, 18:14 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Never noticed it had been done already...oops

ps, if i had to copy it out i wouldnt bother either......copy n paste from my e-mail

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th July 2007, 12:43

Like the way he seems to blame the CTR for getting a damaged sill!

"If you don't want to see that date again, say something like 'I love you, I want to marry you and I want you to have my children!
Sometimes they leave skidmarks!"

Charles H.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page