My Honda Civic review, by a 29 year old ;O))) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th August 2006, 15:34 Thread Starter
sw1

My Honda Civic review, by a 29 year old ;O)))

Hi All,

Thought that may get some attention, As you know I have been posting on this forum for a couple of days, hopefully this review will help some of the people on here like myself that are sitting on the bench due to the cars perceived age image.

First up a little bit of details on myself, I do an 80 mile commute and currently drive a Clio 172(temp car whilst buying new house), My previous car's in order are a Citreon Saxo, Peugeot 206cc, BMW 325ci Sport convertible, MK V Golf GTi , MK V Golf GT TDi, Clio 172 , I've owned all of these cars from new apart from the clio so I like to think I have a good feel of different car and manufactures.

I'm in the market for a new car and looking to spend up to 25k, I've had 2 golf's so thats not an option, wanted an r32 but the cost of petrol is silly, likewise a TT was to expensive at 28K fully specced. Same for a BMW 320d M sport once I got it too a decent level. Given the way cars depreciate these days my days of spending 30K plus on a car is over.

Anyhow, on with the review - I always looked at the Honda Civic as an old mans car until I sat in this new on at the motorshow and was plesently surprised. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the backend but the right wheels and colour make all the difference. I think it needs the 18" even though the ride may be more harsh.

Interior

First of all the Interior is brilliant - I will be buying a car with leather so luckily I got to test one in that spec. The seats are really soft and comfy and support your back well, Arm rest is in a nice position unlike my old BMW. The head up display is both daring and useful, it beats plain old dials anyday. Storage compartments are great, defintely in line with the golf. It has loads of the little hidden cubby holes for putting mobile phones etc. Also the dash is really nice and long and feels more like a big car such as a BMW, this car is a pandora's box, outside it looks average size, Inside it's huge. Them rear folding seats are also amazing. Build quality seems to be on par with the Golf too.

Didn't get to test the stereo but I can't believe it could be any worse then the standard one in the new Golf Gti

Driving

Now the interesting bit, I took a 2.2 CDTi out. Everything about it felt very smooth i.e. changing gear, clutch etc and the steering was nice and light. It also has a lot more pull in 1st gear then a Golf GT TDi 140. Acceleration is very smooth and I hit 80 before I knew it. The engine is also very silent compared to the Golf's diesel.

All along the ride felt smooth, I accept on the 18" it will be more harsh but hey thats the price you pay for style I took it round a few roundabouts at speed and it seemed to role a little bit but nothing too bad. Cornering was almost as good as my little clio 172 whihc is renowned for the ability to corner. Once again the seating position was perfect for me. Nice and low.

Bad Bits

Turbo has quite a whine but I actually liked it, I can see how it could annoy some people though.

Thats about all I could fault it on for the money being spent on it

Conclusions

To sum up, I'm amazed at what a great package this is for the money, I would love a Golf R32 but in the days of fuel prices this car is amazing with a mix of economy and performance. It's also got practically - You can take it on trips to Ikea etc, this is a problem I had with my BMW convertible.

Build quality is defintely on par with VW along with the interior used if not slightly better, leather is good and the seating positon is fantastic. Honda's attitude was also brilliant compared to the like of VW and BMW.

Also 5 services for 500, thats amazing, this car is well above the likes of Vauxhall and Ford and sits quite comfortably with the Golf GT, Audi A3 and BMW 1 series. I've finally realised the germans are getting lazy and do not posses the perfect engineering and build quality they once did.

For me my next car will be a Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi Ex with Sunroof, Leather and 18"s, you can get this spec for 19K from a broker. Similar spec GT TDi would cost 23K

I may get the odd old man joke but hey who's the fool thats paid for an overpriced underspecced VW who are afraid to take any risk on deisgn.

Anyone who is even sittng on the bench I ask you just to take one for a test drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th August 2006, 17:09
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.6 Diesel, Sporty Blue
Yup, gotta have a test drive to appreciate it properly, I looked at Golf, Focus and just about everything else on the market and nothing comes close to it for features/price ratio.

Nice review thanks.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th August 2006, 17:18
Smell My Cheese!

Great review SW1, I chose mine as a 30 yr old so I can appreciate the stick you will undoubtedly get, if you do, let them sit in it or drive it, normally changes their mind.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th August 2006, 19:09 Thread Starter
sw1
** Thread starter **

Cheers, I'm glad I found out what a great car it was. My previous attitude was that I discounted most cars that wern't either VW, BMW or Audi.

I will be happy with it and thats the main thing, at the end of the day my round trip commute to work is 80 miles a day, my average speed over 12000 miles has been 37 mph, due to the traffic on ther motorways.

Whats the point in getting a car that can go 160 miles an hour? The civic looks like a great everyday cruiser and that's what I want for work ;o)).

Will order it next month once I move into the new house.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th August 2006, 19:39
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,773 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
sw1, that review is exactly how I see the car too! I also come from a similar history of VW, Audi, BMW and Porsche, and the little Civ fares excellently against them all. Except at a much reduced price! I would suggest, though, that a nice way to ice the cake is with a splash of Superchips...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 13th August 2006, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov
Yup, gotta have a test drive to appreciate it properly, I looked at Golf, Focus and just about everything else on the market and nothing comes close to it for features/price ratio.

Nice review thanks.
Ditto! I must have test driven evry other car in that price bracket and a few above....the Civic was head and shoulders above the rest!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th August 2006, 11:54
Gadgeteer

Car: 2010 CR-Z GT, White
I'm 33 and I haven't had any of the "old man" stick about buyng the Civic, everyone is just so impressed with it and the guys that work with me can't say anything because one has a KA and the other has a Skoda.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th August 2006, 15:01

Nice review sw1, I'm 28 and certainly don't worry about the 'oap-mobile' image of honda, in fact I currently drive an old model Civic diesel and think it's a fantastic car.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th August 2006, 15:04
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
I'm 27, and never even considered there could be a image problem with the car. Noone's ever mentioned it either.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th August 2006, 20:33

Well guess I must be the oldest one on the forum but maybe not the oldest civic driver hopefully but I do not hang about in it why only today I clocked 67mph as no plods and cameras around so you do not have be young to own and drive a civic just a lover of them ..
Lennie
PS once done 85 in the rover 75
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 14:41

Well, I'm 30 and have my Civic on order, and I haven't had any "age-related" digs yet. So far, the range of people that have either been incredibly jealous or desperate to have a go starts at around 19 and goes up to 65, so I don't really see where the age issue is?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 21st August 2006, 14:59
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Most people where I work have a dig at peoples' choice of car, I've not had any stick (well, apart from the time when my first civic died after 12 miles).
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 25th September 2006, 21:12
Supporter

The only negative comments i have had about the Civic were about the "other" cars i considered !!!

I was looking for a six speed diesel that was economic as a priority due to milage ......

Options and reasons

BMW 3 series - when added up extras made it WAY TOO EXPENSIVE
Saab 9-3 - no test drive / dives in value
Dodge Caliber* - different but not cool, VW Engine but will dive in value
VW Golf - Not worth the premuim and a lot of SH&^* from sales

too many others too mention

Most people seem to love the Civic, the main negative comment from the youngest people seems to be the NHB should have dark tinted glass... would look good but not strictly legal in the front windows

No sarcastic comments about the Diesel .... i guess its getting normal to have a quiet strong Turbo Diesel nowadays

* I know people slate the Dodge but it was different and i feel much better now i HAVE NOT BOUGHT IT !!!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 26th September 2006, 18:18
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
good call - agree with your entire post sw1

yes, the Civ does 'feel' slightly cheaper than some 'premium' brands (speaking of Audi here as I had 3 of them) - but before I need to get out my flame suit I must stress that for the money it stands head and shoulder above

The only thing I would check is the '5 services for 500' thing - is this the Honda Happiness package you're talking about?

If so, I think it was withdrawn for the 2.2

If, however, it's a local thing with your dealer - sounds great!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 26th September 2006, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
The only thing I would check is the '5 services for 500' thing - is this the Honda Happiness package you're talking about?

If so, I think it was withdrawn for the 2.2

If, however, it's a local thing with your dealer - sounds great!
The Honda brochure said it was available. No mention of any exceptions.

When I asked to pay for it when I collected the car, the dealer said it is not available for the 2.2.

An object lesson in how to get customers on your side! I actually got better service from two of the three Renault dealers who serviced my previous Laguna.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 26th September 2006, 23:25
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
I wasn't going to mention you by name...
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th September 2006, 01:15
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
So does that mean that the cdti cant have the happiness plan ?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 27th September 2006, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTACIVIC View Post
So does that mean that the cdti cant have the happiness plan ?
Exactly. Honda's claim in the brochure is totally worthless.

I believe that some people have managed to get it supplied by their dealers, but Holden Honda in Norwich flatly refused.

Again, nothing was said in the brochure about it being at the whim of the dealer. So, if you want it, make sure you ask the dealer BEFORE closing the deal. They are unlikely to give it to you afterwards.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th December 2006, 15:37

I bought my 2.2 in April and discussed with the dealer about the servicing deal. I was told it was only offered on petrol Civic's, not diesels. A brochure I was given at the time of collection did clearly state the offer was for petrol cars only. I've been playing catchup with a few threads today and it appears that some owners have managed to get the servicing deal for their diesels. So either Honda have changed their mind or the local dealer has has done something specific.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2006, 15:08
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 EX GT, Black
Send a message via MSN to neilfs Send a message via Skype™ to neilfs
29 and just got my EX 2.2 with 18" wheels - before I got it or even considered getting one my friends, many 24 and older think it is a really smart car.

I think Honda have shaked the OAP image on this car.

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/user-reviews/699-my-honda-civic-review-29-year-old-%3Bo.html
Posted By For Type Date
Cevap: ARKA PLAKALIK LE LGL... This thread Refback 9th March 2008 17:26