Driving around europe in Civic - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 01:18 Thread Starter
djm

Driving around europe in Civic

Recently completed a 3 week driving holiday in my 2 month old 2.2ex from Birmingham to Slovenia and back - a round trip of about 2200miles.

The girlfriend is from a small town near Maribor in north-east Slovenia, and we thought this year, rather than fly over Europe, we'd actually try and see a bit of it. Plus, going by road meant that I could bring back lots of beer, wine and food that would otherwise have not been possible!

As soon as we'd arrived at Calais from Dover, I switched speedo over to km. Interestingly, the clock also sets itself to the new time zone automatically via the sat nav.
Once we hit the roads of mainland Europe, I did not see a single Honda Civic - until Slovenia anyway - and that was motorway driving through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Austria.

One of the first things I noticed was just how good TMC information is in Europe. I was expecting it not to work at all. Far from it! On the screen came fully detailed explanations of any traffic problems, such as "A3 Frankfurt south, 2 lanes closed".

Once we got into Germany, I decided to really put the ictdi to the test.
I must admit, I found autobahns rather disappointing. I drove 400 miles through Germany mostly on the A3 and found it was mostly 2 lanes. This meant you could be stuck behing a 50mph dutch caravan whilst some BMW 4x4 was doing 150mph in the fast lane. Thank god for Honda brakes. Even more so, thank god for turbodiesel acceleration!

Speaking of which, many drivers tried to intimidate us by tailgating - thinking that this must be some kind of 1.3 shoppers runabout car. One blast of turbo and you leave them for dust. I don't think other drivers fully comprehend what they're dealing with when encountering Civics.

Speedwise, as it was legal, I took the spaceship up cruising speeds of about 185km (115mph) - it just seemed to purr effortlessly and felt as if it could give plenty more.

The sat nav guided us to our stopovers of Limburg und der Lahn and Koblenz beautifully - right up to the door of our hotels.

In terms of loading, those flip up seats are a bloody marvel! As well as our ample luggage for 2, we got 80 cans of Lasko beer, 16bottles of wines, 9litres of Cockta (excellent slovenian soft drink) and much more besides.
I didn't want to overload the car.

In Slovenia, we saw 1 black Civic in Ptuj, and one at a Honda garage in Koper. Other than that, we were turning heads wherever we went! (or rather the car was)

So overall, I recommend the Civic for continental cruising - comfortable, fast yet practical - well, nothing you didn't already know!

And I still feel more like a pilot than a driver when I get in the Civic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 06:19
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Great review!
Sounds like a nice trip.

Your comment about 2-lane autobahns is quite right - several times I have experienced a lorry pulling out into the second lane to overtake another lorry and the BMWs having to panic brake from 250 to 80 km/h!!

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 10:28
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Great Review!

It is exactly the reason why I am buying the Civic (apart from the looks etc) but when we get it we want to travel across europe, I mean I live in Poland and there is unexplored land all around us with only petrol and hotel costs to consider. I have a Skoda at the moment and it just doesn't have the power to do long journeys.

In poland we have the 2 lane 'motorways' and it is amazing how many trucks pull out without thinking and other cars have to 'panic' brake. Here there is a markedly higher proportion of Audi drivers and those are the ones who are breaking quickly here!!!!

I just can't wait to get behind the wheel of the Civic and take it on a cruise!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 11:48 Thread Starter
djm
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMan View Post
Great Review!

It is exactly the reason why I am buying the Civic (apart from the looks etc) but when we get it we want to travel across europe, I mean I live in Poland and there is unexplored land all around us with only petrol and hotel costs to consider. I have a Skoda at the moment and it just doesn't have the power to do long journeys.

In poland we have the 2 lane 'motorways' and it is amazing how many trucks pull out without thinking and other cars have to 'panic' brake. Here there is a markedly higher proportion of Audi drivers and those are the ones who are breaking quickly here!!!!

I know what you mean. To be fair, one of the benefits of the autobahns was the electronic signs banning lorries from overtaking one another through certain stretches of road.

What I didn't expect on the autobahns was the sheer number of bends on such a high speed road!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 12:51
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Sounds like a great trip! I'd love to go on a big european road trip!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 13:25
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Quote:
Great Review!

Hi HappyMan!

I don't think you will be disappointed when the spaceship arrives! It is a great and fast car! Fun to see all the Audi A3 and VW Golf drivers(and there are lots of them on every corner) most of them with 1.6 litre engines here in Norway, comes up close to my tailgate, just like having a closer look, and then withdraw behind me! (two lane roads). Feels just like they becoming ashamed of themselves! Oh, I love it! Again, a Great and futuristic looking car!

Last edited by amronno; 25th August 2007 at 14:00.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 14:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amronno View Post
Hi HappyMan!

I don't think you will be disappointed when the spaceship arrives! It is a great and fast car! Fun to see all the Audi A3 and VW Golf drivers(and there are lots of them on every corner) most of them with 1.6 litre engines here in Norway, comes up close to my tailgate, just like having a closer look, and then withdraw behind me! (two lane roads). Feels just like they becoming ashamed of themselves! Oh, I love it! Again, a Great and futuristic looking car!
Sounds just like here in Poland, although I generally beat the Audi's and BMW drivers off from the traffic lights which is fun to watch them put there foot down, and I have a Skoda Fabia 1.4 at present!!!

THinking of going to test drive the car again at the dealer I ordered it from! WHat do you think? Do you think he will mind?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 17:07
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Quote:
Sounds just like here in Poland, although I generally beat the Audi's and BMW drivers off from the traffic lights which is fun to watch them put there foot down, and I have a Skoda Fabia 1.4 at present!!!

THinking of going to test drive the car again at the dealer I ordered it from! WHat do you think? Do you think he will mind?
No, I do not think he will mind at all, especially not if you put in a nice comment or two in the civ's favour as well!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 19:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amronno View Post
No, I do not think he will mind at all, especially not if you put in a nice comment or two in the civ's favour as well!
Just off to practice my polish as I know my dear wife won't come along with me.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 25th August 2007, 20:26
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
Just off to practice my polish as I know my dear wife won't come along with me.
Dien dobre. Poproche Type-R?

Excuse my spelling!

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 26th August 2007, 00:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
Dien dobre. Poproche Type-R?

Excuse my spelling!
Tak, Coś tak jak!!! only thing you missed was Dzien Dobre, poproszę........ see the lessons are paying off!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 26th August 2007, 07:13
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
Tak, Coś tak jak!!! only thing you missed was Dzien Dobre, poproszę........ see the lessons are paying off!!!!!!!!
I find that pivo and kava get you pretty far!

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 26th August 2007, 08:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
I find that pivo and kava get you pretty far!
Yea, fair point. although not quite sure that will work in the dealer . but saying that I am living in poland - Vodka would be an instant hit.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 26th August 2007, 09:43
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
Yea, fair point. although not quite sure that will work in the dealer . but saying that I am living in poland - Vodka would be an instant hit.
Zubrowka and apple juice is just the ticket!

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 26th August 2007, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm View Post
Recently completed a 3 week driving holiday in my 2 month old 2.2ex from Birmingham to Slovenia and back - a round trip of about 2200miles.

The girlfriend is from a small town near Maribor in north-east Slovenia, and we thought this year, rather than fly over Europe, we'd actually try and see a bit of it. Plus, going by road meant that I could bring back lots of beer, wine and food that would otherwise have not been possible!

As soon as we'd arrived at Calais from Dover, I switched speedo over to km. Interestingly, the clock also sets itself to the new time zone automatically via the sat nav.
Once we hit the roads of mainland Europe, I did not see a single Honda Civic - until Slovenia anyway - and that was motorway driving through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Austria.

One of the first things I noticed was just how good TMC information is in Europe. I was expecting it not to work at all. Far from it! On the screen came fully detailed explanations of any traffic problems, such as "A3 Frankfurt south, 2 lanes closed".

Once we got into Germany, I decided to really put the ictdi to the test.
I must admit, I found autobahns rather disappointing. I drove 400 miles through Germany mostly on the A3 and found it was mostly 2 lanes. This meant you could be stuck behing a 50mph dutch caravan whilst some BMW 4x4 was doing 150mph in the fast lane. Thank god for Honda brakes. Even more so, thank god for turbodiesel acceleration!

Speaking of which, many drivers tried to intimidate us by tailgating - thinking that this must be some kind of 1.3 shoppers runabout car. One blast of turbo and you leave them for dust. I don't think other drivers fully comprehend what they're dealing with when encountering Civics.

Speedwise, as it was legal, I took the spaceship up cruising speeds of about 185km (115mph) - it just seemed to purr effortlessly and felt as if it could give plenty more.

The sat nav guided us to our stopovers of Limburg und der Lahn and Koblenz beautifully - right up to the door of our hotels.

In terms of loading, those flip up seats are a bloody marvel! As well as our ample luggage for 2, we got 80 cans of Lasko beer, 16bottles of wines, 9litres of Cockta (excellent slovenian soft drink) and much more besides.
I didn't want to overload the car.

In Slovenia, we saw 1 black Civic in Ptuj, and one at a Honda garage in Koper. Other than that, we were turning heads wherever we went! (or rather the car was)

So overall, I recommend the Civic for continental cruising - comfortable, fast yet practical - well, nothing you didn't already know!

And I still feel more like a pilot than a driver when I get in the Civic!
Good trip.

I do a lot of driving in europe on my way to greece and i have to agree that the civic is brilliant for the long journeys.

What were the roads like in Slovenia, and did you encounter any problems at the borders etc. I am going through Slovenia en route to Greece in a few weeks. I havent been that way before so any experience of driving there would be appreciated.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 27th August 2007, 02:47 Thread Starter
djm
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by apapageo View Post
Good trip.

I do a lot of driving in europe on my way to greece and i have to agree that the civic is brilliant for the long journeys.

What were the roads like in Slovenia, and did you encounter any problems at the borders etc. I am going through Slovenia en route to Greece in a few weeks. I havent been that way before so any experience of driving there would be appreciated.
Slovenian roads are fine - there are tolls so keep some Euros handy.
No problems at the Austria/Slovenia border - although Slovenia has been an EU and NATO member for over 3 years, there are still Passport checks.

The only road surfaces I felt were poor on the journey were Belgium and parts of the A3 in Germany.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2007, 19:15

I've just come back from a couple of weeks holiday in France (Brittany), having only had my 2.2ES for a month or so. I've been really impressed by its practicality, both for carting around my family's stuff and also for loading up on wine & beer. I only saw one other Civic the entire time - in Morlaix. I too - well, the car - generated quite a bit of local interest.

Performance fully loaded and with a roofbox was great. Fuel economy was mid to high 40's for the 1100 miles total travelled. Before I got on the ferry to come home it was reading just over 48mpg for the trip. But I caned it up the M5 for 250 miles and it dropped to 46mpg. Really impressive given the box & load.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12th September 2007, 16:03
Supporter

I'm picking up my car tomorrow (so excited now) and I have already planned a trip around europe: Luxemburg, Bern, Monako, Milan, Lake Garda, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Praha, Berlin, Dortmund, Brussel and back to UK. I'm going in 3weeks with my mates. I was just wondering if anyone can advice where I can find out about paid roads, especially in Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Czech Republic ? Are there any other requirements I need to meet before I go?
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12th September 2007, 16:31
Supporter

You'll need to check each country's requirements for compulsory equipment i.e. fire extinguisher, high visibility vests, spare bulb kit, first aid kit etc.

There are highway tolls in Switzerland, Austria and the Czech Republic, although usually there's an opportunity to buy a vignette at the border (either from an official kiosk or petrol station).

Some tunnels in Austria may have additional toll charges, although I think a couple are already included in the Swiss toll charge.

Luckily Germany is toll-free on the autobahns

You'll need to get a green card sorted too for insurance purposes. And, if you have an older UK licence without your photo on it, you'll also need an International Driving Permit for the Czech Republic. Not sure about Switzerland as I can't recall if they are signatories to the convention that covers it.

I think all the other EU countries that you're going to accept just a European Communities model licence.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12th September 2007, 16:32

The AA website is pretty good for this sort of stuff

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page