First Impressions of a 2.2 Type S GT - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th September 2007, 16:39 Thread Starter
Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to HumberMart
First Impressions of a 2.2 Type S GT

Thought I’d record my first impressions after picking up my new 2.2 SGT 10 days/800 miles ago.

Performance

Quite different to anything else I’ve driven. I swapped a 2.0 Z4 (petrol of course) for the Civic, but had a latest 5 Series 2.0 diesel before that, and have had other (lower tech) diesels in the past.

The Civic has an amazing amount of torque, but seemingly at a very narrow rev band in the middle of the range. This gives more in-gear flexibility than I’ve ever experienced before, and makes it almost as relaxing an auto to drive in busy traffic. However I do miss that thrill of watching the revs climb as you wait to change gear, and it seems to respond better by changing gear ‘early’.

For motorway cruising in 6th it’s loads better than the 520 was, as there’s never a need to change down.

The car is so smooth on the motorway, and so eager in 6th, plus the throttle so sensitive, that it’s hard to keep the speed legal. The cruise control is definitely a real boon.

Economy

Slightly disappointed at the moment considering ‘running in’ carefulness, at only 41 mpg. The 520 despite its size, never did less than 44. Hopefully it will improve with use.

Noise

Compared with the 520 it sounds positively ‘truck like’ at low revs, although the Civic vibrates far less than the BM at tick-over. There is also a pinking like ‘crackle’ when acceleration begins which I did not notice on the test car.

The test car did create a ‘nice’ turbo whistle at higher revs, but this doesn’t seem as noticeable on mine, although I’m trying to keep the revs down below 4,000 at the moment.

Not any noticeable rattles. The rear suspension can be noisy of course (but much more acceptable than the TR), and if I drive with the windows down (trying to emulate the Z4!), the sun blinds bounce up and down.

Handling

Generally very good for FWD. The turning circle is poor compared with the Z4, but that’s understandable. The steering responsiveness around the centre position is top notch, but I’m getting the feeling it quickly snaps into under-steer as you pass a certain degree of turn. Obviously a front drive trait, but the transition seems very quick on the TS.

Also surprising is how easily I can squeal the wheels with the VSA on, although I guess it’s not a ‘proper’ traction control as on the Z4.

Ride

Feels like a Roller compared to the Z4! And hasn’t got the sickly ‘bounce’ that stopped me buying a TR. No complaints here. (on std. 17” btw)

Visibility

No problems, don’t mind the rear view (gives it character!).

Cabin

Would have preferred the TR, but no complaints, apart from the hard scratchy plastic. Not sure of the benefits of the glass roof for front seat occupants.

Seat comfort seems fine, and finally I find a car where the headrests come far enough forward.

Other

Seems silly you can start the car when in gear (and wouldn’t be surprised that the button is still live when the engine is running – but don’t want to test it!).

Looking forward to fitting speaker upgrade and powered sub when it arrives (Pioneer). Also fitting Parrot kit and Connects2 Aux input at same time.

Not driven in rain, or much in the dark yet to comment on wipers/lights.

Slightly disappointed with the overall subjective ‘quality feel’. I know I’m coming from 2 BM’s (and a TT before those) but I’ve found most Honda’s are a closer match than the new Civic. (I also have a last model CRV and find that has a better ‘quality feel’.

Overall though I'm well pleased. I down traded the Z4 to save my back from melt-down, and find the SGT just as much fun, and what it loses in 'purism' it gains in 'useability'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th September 2007, 16:57
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumberMart View Post

Overall though I'm well pleased.
You wouldn't think it from some of your comments!

detailed mini-review though
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th September 2007, 17:07

A well rounded review I also think that your comments regarding the quality are spot on - Honda still have a way to go to catch up with the Germans but they are definately getting there. The Civic however certainly knocks spots off of them though when it comes to looks

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th September 2007, 20:39
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
nice write up
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th September 2007, 23:32
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
indeed - nice review

Your mpg show probably get better (right foot permitting ) - most (though not all) 2.2 oweners are getting mid 40s and better

What tyres have you got?
Mine is reluctant to squeal the wheels, or indeed understeer unless really pushed...
Started on Mich PS2s, now on 2nd set of Goodyears

So all you now need is a visit to Celtic or Superchips, and a Civinfo sticker
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2007, 00:23
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
your mpg will improve. I wa disapointed with my mpg for the first 6000 miles as ive said in previous posts but since ive hit 6k im finding it hard to go under 45mpg and thats all town driving. So it does improve. Just give it time.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2007, 09:12 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Cheers

Thanks for all the comments, and I'll look forward to 45+ mpg!

Now I'll go and check on the tyres..........................(or pressures!)..................
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2007, 14:35
Supporter

Yes 3K miles on the clock and am averaging 43 MPG semi-urban
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2007, 17:48

First post, so be gentle.....

Ordered my Civic 2.2td Type S GT, but opted for the bigger 18" alloys.

Test driven the GT with the standard 17" wheels, will there be much difference in the road noise and handling when I get mine with the 18" alloys?.

Also a bit cheesed off about the reports on the Ipod connector not showing the track names, might have to cancel and use the MP3 option on the CD.

Anyone else go any views on their Ipod connector?.

Cheers guys

Keep tasting the gravy

Beef
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2007, 17:50
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Hey beef, do a search for ipod and you will find all the info (slagging) there!

Welcome to the forum
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2007, 17:53

Yeah, Read that already (Mixed views).

Cheers anyway

Beef
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 18th September 2007, 20:25
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
on the plus side - the 18's were the right choice
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 4th October 2007, 16:00 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thumbs up Update

After another 1,000 miles, I though I'd update my previous observations.....

Performance

Yes still very please with performance, mainly the amazing flexibility. I would perhaps like a less sensetive setting for the DBW throttle, but have learned to use the cruise control fairly well, even on busy motorways.

Only wish it had a 'Type R' synth output from the audio, coupled with noise cancelling for the diesel rattle, and a scam tacho that falsly indicated it was doing twice the rpm!

Economy

Economy has improved already, at 1,800 miles. It's not doing 46 mpg on this tankfull, although I'm taking it steadier. When it was first run in, I pushed it hard for 20-30 miles, and it fell as low as 35 mpg, but had recoved to 42 by the end of the tankfull.

Strangely, I find it a bit like the (petrol) CRV, The economy soon drops above 70 mph. With the CRV I put it down to the weight and drag factors, but a bit surprised by the Civic. Both the Z4 and 520D that I had remained 'economical' well above 70 mph. Maybe the Civic will still imrpove with more mileage.

Noise

Still a bit disapoined by the diesel rattle at low revs, but find the car quiet enough when cruising. No trim or other rattles to report.

Handling

Getting more used to the handling now the Z4 is a fading memory! Overall very pleased. I was however surpised to find the gearbox a better smoother shorter action in the CRV when I drove it again for the first time after 3 weeks of total Type S! Maybe I'll investigate a knob swap soon.

Ride

Happy enough. It will always beat the Z4 (but not the CRV)

Visibility

Still no probs, but a bit p'd off with the over-sensetive parking sensors and the very loud bleep (dealer fit).

Cabin

The dash looks a lot better having treated it with a 'semi-matt' polish.

Seat comfort is fab, though shame no electic adjustments.

Other

Soundproofing the doors has been a great mod.

Very pleased with the Parrot and Connects2 installations.

I'm now getting a bit of a bass buzz from the front left Pioneer woofer, so maybe I'll need to take the door trim off again and investigate.

Auto wipers seem fine (and wipers work very well - and noise free), dip headlights good, but poor high beams.

Still a bit wary of the lack of Audi/BM quality feel, but 'yer pays yer money and....'.

Oh, and still need to visit the dealer to get them to 'remove' the air bag warning, when I get chance. (hope it's just a quick reset).
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 4th October 2007, 16:20 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Photo

Just worked out how to post a photo.....

Civic1a.jpg

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page