30,000 miles and 15 months on... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th November 2007, 18:00 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
30,000 miles and 15 months on...

Well, here we are

I first ordered my Civic back in March '06, and it arrived in August, just in time for our annual Summer holiday.
Replacing as it was, my 3.2 TT, it had a fair bit to live up to - but it started off with an easy win - the boot holds a fair bit more!

Since then I've averaged 2,000 miles per month, with a mix of twice daily 30 odd mile commutes (back rounds and dual carriageways) and longer (business) trips of up to 400 plus miles in one go.

How has it been?

Well - its true to say that the performance isn't quite on par with the TT - but at 100bhp and 1ltr less I was never expecting it to be
However, it is certainly good - and definately good enough

As we all know, the boot is just huge - and dropping the rear seats has seen me doing just one trip to the local tip instead of 3 or 4 in the TT

Seats are still comfortable - I quite often do the run to London (180 miles each way), and get out relaxed and still able to move
Wife doesn't like them though - says they are too moulded round her shoulders.

Electrics all still work - all be it with the now famous DIY HFT mic fix

Reverse camera is a great gadget, and I'd recommend it to anyone

Low points?
As with most owners, I've now got a collection of stone chips on the bonnet and wings - although this doesn't seem to have gotten any worse over the last 6 months. Or maybe I'm just not looking as closely
I've also got an occasional squeak from the drivers window, and a stiff(er) passenger door handle.
But neither are enough of an issue to be worth doing anything about
I snapped the fuel filler handle inside the car, trying to get the poxy...blinking...flipping...bloody...fuel cap to open
Got that fixed under warranty though (and the cap spring too )
Biggest low though, was the phone call from Honda after about a year, finally saying that they couldn't supply the sports suspension I'd ordered with the car
Oh - and the bassworks - still kicking myself for ticking that box on the option list

High points?
Pretty much every day
Still gets the occasional passerby commenting, and as it lives in the (works) car park space close(ish) to the outside smoke 'room' (bus shelter thing) I get to hear people talking about it still
Getting 73mpg (with photo proof!) got a for me - not that I'll be doing it again
And finding this place - but that goes without saying

Over the course of the 30K miles I have put in exactly 2 glugs of oil
(plus whatever the dealers have put in at the 2 services obviously).
I've averaged 44mpg, which is pretty accurate (computer vs real)

The Civ has taken everything I've thrown at it, and shrugged it off with a 'is that it?' attitude
Room for 5, sporty for 1 - a great combo

Other than the filler cap, and 2 services, I've had no reason to visit a dealer (well, except to have a close look at the R when it launched ).

Am I happy?

Well at the moment, unless something drastic happens, its going to be replaced next August

By a 2.2 Type S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th November 2007, 20:56
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Good well balanced comments about the car.

It was good to see that even though you love the car there are still a couple of things that are not right (- the paint!)

I am happy to hear you find it comfortable over longer journeys and even though I don't have mine yet, it is going to be used for the longer haul journeys aswell as the everyday stuff.

Thanks for the review TT
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 00:15
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Very good and sincere review, TT.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 07:15
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Mines pretty much the same as I've never needed to consider a dealer visit either but I'm currently only just over the 8K mark.

The only surprise to me is that you thought of replacing the already hard suspension with an even harder setup, definately not a move I would make.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 07:40
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Shame you're not getting your Type S till August (I'm sure It'll definitley be worth the wait)

Love the sharper steering/handling,and the ride is more composed than my previous 5 door.Still early days with mine I know,but no probs so far
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 08:03
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Very good review TT...
Mine is 25 000 km yet after 11 month of ownership, and my feelings are the same.

Replacement, not before 2009 or 2010 .... and I hope that the Civic will still be the same
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 08:55 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

Cheers all

Can't really complain about waiting till August, as its a company car...

Infact, come a bit closer to the time and we start hearing about any potential MY 2009 changes I might just 'forget' to order for a bit
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 14:21

Good and balanced review.
Issues sounds familiar, and it gives me a feeling of what to expect the next 20 000 miles
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 14:28

Is there much difference in the drive between the 3 and 5 doors? Besides the price (which obviously isnt an issue) I don't really see the point in the 3 door myself.. They're both stunning looking cars but personally I cant knock the usefulness of 5 doors (none of that 'hold on a sec while i get out and pull my seat forward' *****).
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 14:36 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

for me minisweeper, I'm planning on going for the S primarily becuase of the more agressive looks to the skirts / spoilers
(Especially the split colour version)

Whilst I need 5 seats (hence the R is not an option), this is only for once or twice a week, so 5 doors vs 3 is less of an issue

The possibility of a better ride (if the body is stiffer, or the suspension slightly better) would just be a bonus
The couple of owners in here who have gone from 5 to 3 doors have said that the S handles better
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 14:37

Imo the 3 door is more styled and better looking (and not available in Norway). A bit wider rear track. (Is it correct that CTR is based on type S)?
But, I would never buy a 3 door car. Period.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 14:57
Supporter

But, I would never buy a 3 door car. Period. [/quote]

Agreed!
Not anymore!
Eight years in my previous 3 door Nissan is more than enough to me!
I now realize fully the advantages of a 5 door car, especially the civic with those fantastic magic rear seats!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 15:00
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by minisweeper View Post
Is there much difference in the drive between the 3 and 5 doors? Besides the price (which obviously isnt an issue) I don't really see the point in the 3 door myself.. They're both stunning looking cars but personally I cant knock the usefulness of 5 doors (none of that 'hold on a sec while i get out and pull my seat forward' *****).
There isn't a great deal of difference in the drive between the 3 and 5 door. The 3 door does feel a bit sportier to drive, probably partially due to the suspension set-up, and partially due to a stiffer body shell.
I think the 3 door car looks sleeker and slightly more balanced. The rear doors tend to break the line of the car, and leave a slightly odd shape in the rear wing between the rear bumper and the rear door.
If you aren't carrying rear seat passengers around every day, then the additional weight of the doors, the extra gubbins to go wrong, and the fact there are 2 extra very large holes in the bodyshell seem a bit pointless.

Whether you have a 3 or 5 door Civic though, both knock the top hat off anything else though in the looks department
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 15:12
Supporter

I think the 3 door car looks sleeker and slightly more balanced. The rear doors tend to break the line of the car, and leave a slightly odd shape in the rear wing between the rear bumper and the rear door.

Particuarly when viewed through rose coloured spectacles.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 15:15
Supporter

[quote=Foggy69;124246]
If you aren't carrying rear seat passengers around every day, then the additional weight of the doors, the extra gubbins to go wrong, and the fact there are 2 extra very large holes in the bodyshell seem a bit pointless.

But here we have to keep in mind that the (front) doors on a 3 - door model is much longer than they are on a 5 - door model, so the 2 extra 'holes' in the bodyshell aren't that much much bigger. I'm not sure how much the extra weight of the two rear doors are, though.

Last edited by amronno; 29th November 2007 at 15:17.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 17:10
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by amronno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy69 View Post

But here we have to keep in mind that the (front) doors on a 3 - door model is much longer than they are on a 5 - door model, so the 2 extra 'holes' in the bodyshell aren't that much much bigger. I'm not sure how much the extra weight of the two rear doors are, though.
The weight of a standard Type S 2.2 is 1380kg, a similar 5 door is between 1388kg and 1404kg.
The 3 door bodyshell is inherently stiffer and stronger. Although the front doors are larger, they are only just under half the length of the passenger compartment. The 5 door has about 2/3rd's of the side of the passenger compartment with a hole in it.

The main reason I think the 3 door Civic is better than the 5 door car is on the looks though. And that goes for most hatchbacks on the market. I have always had the 3 door option if it was available, Citroen AX, Pug 205 and 306, Fiesta, old Civic, just because they all looked better in a 3 door guise.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th November 2007, 17:28
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy69 View Post
The weight of a standard Type S 2.2 is 1380kg, a similar 5 door is between 1388kg and 1404kg.
The 3 door bodyshell is inherently stiffer and stronger. Although the front doors are larger, they are only just under half the length of the passenger compartment. The 5 door has about 2/3rd's of the side of the passenger compartment with a hole in it.

The main reason I think the 3 door Civic is better than the 5 door car is on the looks though. And that goes for most hatchbacks on the market. I have always had the 3 door option if it was available, Citroen AX, Pug 205 and 306, Fiesta, old Civic, just because they all looked better in a 3 door guise.

Agree with you there Foggy, in most cases a 3 door hatchback looks better than a 5 door. But in civic's case I think the difference is marginal. I think the designers has done a great job on both!

Civinfo > All Civics > User Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page