LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 4th September 2017, 20:10 Thread Starter
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,428 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Test Drive

Friend took a CVT Premier out on a lengthy test drive yesterday with a view to replace his 2013 Accord.

He and his wife have decided not to continue with the purchase because they both said the road noise/tyre roar was very noticeable. They also have a 2015 Jazz and they said that that is quieter over the same roads.

Is it that noisy ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 4th September 2017, 20:19
Supporter

Car: 10G SLASH CTR, rallye red
Garage
Hmm compared to my 8G (granted that is a bit dated) it was less noisy, by quite a margin.

The Type R is measured to have more in cabin noise at cruise than the competition in that segment, so it might be true for the standard version as well.

Compared to a Jazz, I would have expected it to be less noisy, but maybe Honda has done a really good job on the Jazz...
I wonder if they had some bad tyres on it.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 4th September 2017, 21:38
Supporter

Car: 2013 2.2 EX GT
Eco display
Having gone from an 8G EX on 18" wheels to 9G EX GT on 17" and now a 10G Prestige on 17", there are certainly noticeable improvements upon each generation. The 10G is certainly more refined and quieter than the 9G and significantly so on an 8G on 18". The 10G on 17" is no better or worse than the current VW Golf 7.5, which was my primary choice until the April tax change moved me to the 10G, the ride refinement and road noise are pretty much on par. The 10G 17" tyres default to Michelin Primacy 3 (not my preferred choice) but they fair ok in terms of road noise.

The Jazz itself is a very refined car, especially considering its size, the only difference from my drives with the Jazz is the softer suspension and higher profile tyres so I suspect this gave a different feel to the overall car but certainly not sure about it being quieter than the 10G... the only question posed is whether the 10G test driven was running on the optional 18" wheels, that would certainly have an impact as the lower profile won't help.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 5th September 2017, 07:20 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Interesting.

Odd then that they should both notice it. The Accord is on 17" wheels. He did say that he found it odd so when they got back in the Accord they went over some of the same roads just to double check.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 5th September 2017, 08:19
Supporter

I have gone from an Accord to a Civic and the road noise is awful, fingers crossed its just the tyres
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 5th September 2017, 16:57
Supporter

Car: Civic X 1.5 Sport SGP
Higher trim levels...

apparently get additional soundproofing in a variety of locations including rear load deck, wheel arches and underbody trays etc. etc. But these are clearly effective, if at all, only in regard to some abstract instrumented measurements rather than in terms of actual customer perception.

However, we must keep in mind that despite its increase in size the Civic X is not an outright replacement for the Accord. In its current US form their new model benefits from many 'premium' enhancements and next segment up 'luxury' improvements. All of which were engineered into the fabric of the Accord from inception through to completion of its design.

Freely available and already released into the public domain, somewhere out there on-line, are a number of Honda's own in house semi scientific papers and technical journal publications. In these their senior engineering personnel expound the view that: As the Civic X is only an entry level car any attempted justification for doing a more complete and thorough job, particularly in regard to NVH, would not be welcome as these 'premium or luxury' requirements were not placed upon them by their board as being necessary for sign off on go to make.

In other words and reading between the lines; they could have done much better, quite probably, for minimal R&D expenditure and with only a marginal impact on end user pricing. But, as they have not one but two levels of premium product differential to protect it seems they consciously and deliberately elected to decrease the Civic X value proposition. Most likely because any such increase would undoubtedly have negative consequences on product volumes of their more exclusive offerings. Please note I am not here referencing overall corporate profitability only brand perception as a function of market segmentation.

Considering this thread and in light of the above; is it not curious then that Honda's own Sales and Marketing materials identify the Audi A3 as their chosen benchmark for the Civic X to measure up against?

So, first class pass or epic fail?

Last edited by logician; 5th September 2017 at 21:04.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th December 2017, 09:29
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
I am the friend to which Kremmen referred in post #1. Whilst the perceived road noise level was higher than in the Accord, and subsequent longish test run in a Sport a couple of days ago (and a CR-V to satisfy HWMBO's desire to be impressed by the Chelsea tractor, sh wasn't), we still thought the noise level was a bit higher, but bought a Premier anyway, manual as HWMBO has a pathological hatred of autos.
Both Civics I drove were on 17" wheels.

I think that if they shod them with 16" and fatter tyres they would be quieter at the possible reduced handling performance. That would not bother me, as at my age, I am much more interested in comfort than road holding, although I do like driving briskly when the occasion presents itself ;=).

My accord was in the doctors at the same time for another injector change. (Engine just stops. Really handy in the fast lane of a MWay) and I had the loan of a Jazz with the navi. Quite impressed, but didn't like it shouting at me when I took the 'racing' line around right hand bends when the Lane Deviation alert kicked in. Must find out how to switch that off on my new Civic

Want some info on space saver wheels, but will post in a more appropriate section and put a link here.
Kremmen likes this.

Last edited by M8TJT; 7th December 2017 at 09:41.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th December 2017, 16:52 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
So you've signed on the dotted...............

Regarding the spare, steve_m has posted some info here, somewhere, about the raised cover required to hide it, but lose a bit of boot space.

Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is to find that post.
Farqui likes this.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th December 2017, 17:17
Supporter

Car: 10G Civic Prestige
I notice the Prestige I've got is considerably quieter inside than the 2.2 I had .... unless I rev it - induction / engine noise is quite obvious, particularly when it cruises so quietly.
BUT ...
Possibly because of this apparent refinement, I do notice the road noise quite a lot, 'though I would never say it was intrusive, I would say more could be done to limit it.

Al.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th December 2017, 19:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzang View Post
the only question posed is whether the 10G test driven was running on the optional 18" wheels, that would certainly have an impact as the lower profile won't help.
I have recently driven the Premier and the Sport, both on 17" wheels.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th December 2017, 19:10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
I notice the Prestige I've got is considerably quieter inside than the 2.2 I had .... unless I rev it - induction / engine noise is quite obvious, particularly when it cruises so quietly.
Yes, the engine noise is a lot less than the diesel especially at start and low speeds. It's the general road/tyre noise that's more. Must get my SPL meter out and see what the Accord is along a bit of road, then compare that later with the Civic.
Quote:
I do notice the road noise quite a lot, 'though I would never say it was intrusive, I would say more could be done to limit it.
Neither do I find it intrusive, just a bit more than my Accord. It was one of the first things that HWMBO said when we took out the Premier a couple of weeks ago. She didn't even notice that it was an auto despite her hatred of autos. I suppose it might have either been the transmission simulating gear changes or her not paying attention. ;=)
I suspect I will have to put a bit of sound insulated scaffold plank in instead of that stupid tonneau cover.

@K. Yes, got my dusty old cheque book out.

Last edited by M8TJT; 7th December 2017 at 19:13.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 27th May 2018, 10:30

Car: 2018 Civic SR
Tyre Noise

I've had a 9G on 16's for the last three years, on a variety of tyres from Michelins, Pirelli, conti's and finally on Hankooks. All have been a lot quieter on the motorway than the 10G I've been test driving for the last two weeks.
From picking it up and spending five minutes on the M60 around Manchester, it was a lot noisier on 17's and Conti's than my previous model and you can tell what surface you're driving on. I can only assume that the increase to 235 section tyres has had a detrimental effect on the NVH inside, which is a shame as you can tell the car is a lot more refined and damped in so many other areas than its predecessor.
I'm surprised that the R&D department at Honda hasn't picked this up, as their attention to detail is usually excellent.
I'm due to collect my new car this week, so I'll be interested to see if it's the same. Hopefully it will come on Michelins and not Conti's, but I'm not holding out much hope.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 08:20
Supporter

Car: 2017 EX 1.0 Manual
Garage
Mine came with Michelin tyres
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 08:30
Super Moderator

Michelin Primacy on mine.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 08:51

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Garage
Mine did too, Michelin Primacy 3.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th June 2019, 23:04

Car: 2015 5d 1.6 i-DTEC
Eco display Eco display
I have also went for a test drive and I was very disappointed to find 10g to be much louder (road noise wise) in compare to my 9g. Road noise and clutch problems were my only two complains about 9g. I planned to address the clutch by going 9 speed automatic with 10g but the noise increase might just stop me from doing that.

Saying this the 10g I was driving had 0 miles on it so brand new tires which will be louder then ones well run in.

I will have to take a different 10g for a test drive.

How does the CRV compares in this department? I am only interested in tire / road noise as I do not mind engine noise. I could get low mileage CRV for fraction of the new 10g.

Cheers
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th June 2019, 23:13
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
old thread
but having changed from 8g to 9g in December I find the 9g much more refined than 8g smoother quitter and so on
my 9g was in for clutch and flywheel under warranty and I had a 10g 1.0 se for couple of days
never noticed anything to warrant a complaint at all apart from my long legs found the centre console a bit big cant see why they made it that wide
to be honest I was quite impressed with the big 10g for a 1 litre
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 30th June 2019, 23:44
Super Moderator

The 10G 1.6D has quite a lot less tyre/road noise compared with my Prestige.
The tyres on the 1.6 are slightly narrower 225 v 235 and a different make Dunlop v Michelin. 17" on both.
On the down side, much more engine noise and considerably less poke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
to be honest I was quite impressed with the big 10g for a 1 litre
Then try the 1.5T with it's 186 horses.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 1st July 2019, 09:15

Car: 2015 5d 1.6 i-DTEC
Eco display Eco display
It must be different in UK. In Ireland they are all 235 in 17" trim. Only the lowest spec model comes with 16" and narrower tires (I would prefer 16" for comfort and reduced noise).

The car I drove was one notch higher spec to what I would be buying if I decide so and it had glass roof, I wonder if it adds to the noise due to some resonances etc.

Also I do not like that there is now soft material instead of normal hard shelf in the back in the hatch version. It must be adding to the noise by having less dampening in that area.

Does your Prestige comes with adaptive dampers? If so how do you find them? Are they useful?

Thanks
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 1st July 2019, 14:38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebna View Post
It must be different in UK. In Ireland they are all 235 in 17" trim.
I was talking about the 1.6D car version, not the hatchback.
The tyres were deffo 225 x17 dunlops because I had a damn good look to see what was different and why the car had less road noise.
Quote:
Also I do not like that there is now soft material instead of normal hard shelf in the back in the hatch version. It must be adding to the noise by having less dampening in that area.
Ah! You mean the clingfilm dispenser boot cover? Appalling.
Quote:
Does your Prestige comes with adaptive dampers? If so how do you find them? Are they useful?
I always have them set to the softer settings as the hard setting makes an already choppy care even more choppy. How do I find them? Total waste of time as they are. If the hard setting was as per the current soft setting and the soft setting was softer, then I probably would use them.
Having said that, perhaps a 'more enthusiastic' driver might run them on the harder setting.
Thanks to M8TJT from:

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page