2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Winter Tyres Ordered!

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  rob.e 
#1 ·
Hi,

After selling the part worn Conti TS860s that served me so well over the last 2 years on my old 9th Gen I was in the market for something for my new car given the size difference. (235/45/17 94)

Settled on these: Kleber Krisalp HP3 - Tyre Reviews

Get really good reviews, better than the Contis in the snow! - 2018 Auto Bild Winter Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews

Picked them up for £78 each delivered from here: https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ Which is "budget" winter tyre price, for a well reviewed tyre.

Will get Honda to fit them in a month or so, last time they charged £40, cheaper than anywhere else!

Reactions: rob.e
#4 ·
Brilliant, good choice!

However, please see my other post regarding the fall off in grip at 12 degrees, it only happened for a week and they now stick like glue, especially in the wet, even at 13 degrees.

Interestingly, normally new tyres are a bit slippy as they initially wear in, but these were initially great, then fell off, then came back.

No regrets now and can't wait to see how they deal with the white stuff, but be careful in warmer temps for the 1st month.

Reactions: rob.e
#3 ·
I suppose where you are you'll need them - weather can 'turn' and badly as well, even if it's for a few weeks!

Keep us posted how you get on.

I've posted in another tyre thread my displeasure in the Primacy 3's once it gets cold - DOESN'T happen to all so-called Summer tyres.

Al.

#7 · (Edited)
Yes, a good price, and I'd rather have dedicated summer/winters, rather than a compromise.

Time will tell if they wear well though.

#8 ·
Apart from one overnight cold spell; which was well below freezing the temperature hasn't really dropped that much (currently 9C ) so haven't really noticed much difference between the handling on the Primacy 3 and the new Kleber HP3. Even the tyre noise is much the same over varying surfaces. So waiting for the bad weather to really set in.

Interestingly "MyTyres" delivered within in 3 days (from online order) direct to fitting station from Berlin, no UK stock. The fitter said as the weather has been kind in the UK there is virtually no stock in UK as all winters tyres are coming from Europe. Reason being there is confirmed volume of sales in Europe and the manufacturers don't want to have excess stock left in UK after the winter is past.

#11 ·
Just taken off my winter tyres and refitted the Primacy 3. Most noticeable was the increase in background tyre roar/rumble from the Michelins.

The Kleber winter tyres were hardly marked, so ready for next winter or 2 or 3.

So ....... Michelin summer tyres noisier than kleber?
Are your kleber full winters?
Considering kleber all season when I eventually do enough miles to justify swapping from Michelin’s (as delivered.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Well, the Klebers are back on and I can straight away tell they grip sooooo much better in the wet than the standard Primacy 3's, I can actually get off the line with a my foot more than 70% down now.

Hopefully the fade in grip when its dry and slightly warmer won't return, but I think its just a factor of these winter tyres and many like them.

#17 ·
i'll be going all seasons next time. these bridgestone LM32 and Nokian WR-A3's work well but very quickly go off when we get those warmer dryer days in winter. noticably longer brake distances vs summer tyres and cornering grip just not quite as good as you'd want.
i'm sure scotland sees it worse but here in the midlands it's more wet and frosty than snowy and another -6c on temps like you get

#20 ·
Was nervous after watching YouTube video on dry stopping distance. Not as good as summer tyre. But swings and roundabouts. I swapped because I figured my excess on my insurance was about same as 4 new tyres. I’d rather spend it on tyres than be off the road due to snow/ice. Call me paranoid. [emoji2957]
But you Drive accordingly. A lot quieter than summer tyres. MPG .... early days to compare yet but they have given me a return of 73 on a drive home from Devon. My best on summers was 83 but with many high 60’s and low 70’s generally. Grip wise, I don’t push my car so I don’t approach their grip limit but not had any issues so far. As for XL, my tyre fitter claimed barely notice any difference. But I do have 16’s. Plus XL was cheaper option. He charged me £316.60 for four fitted and balanced. About similar price to four Goodyear asymetric’s which was my choice for my mk8. Only thing to bear in mind with all tyres but winter/all seasons especially. 1.6 is minimum, 3 is recommended change but on winter/all season I believe 4mm is depth they can start to drop off dramatically especially on snow. I’m happy so far with choice. A few days ago I ended up behind a Romanian reg car. They looked like my treads to me and I’d say they get worse weather winter wise than us so .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I know that this thread is old, but I need your recommendation on which winter tire to install on my 2018 Civic. I don't know which set to avail as I am seeing a lot of reputable brands on 4wheelonline. I am driving home to South Dakota on Thanksgiving and I need to ensure that my tires won't fail me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.