Suspension Advice sought for suspension - Page 2 - Civinfo
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 16th April 2018, 20:49

Car: 2010 2.0, Taffeta White
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy dodger View Post
OH MAN...What a difference of opinion but yooos are all right depending on the vantage point.

I checked into Eibach and you are right but they are lowered suspension therefore ideally both fronts should be done and not just one and they are for sports shocks in a car.

I checked Europarts and their Spring discount of 35% and Sachs springs are about £80 each.

I checked Cox motor parts and they are doing genuine Honda coils for £73 each with the Civinfo discount.

I don't think i'll go with Eibach as i would need stiffer suspensions to match since these suspension springs lower the car slightly. But you are right that they are cheaper if all four bought but then all four springs need changing.

I've had two new bumpstops on front wheels and two new anti roll bars on front of car in past 14months. For that reason i decided to go for two front Genuine Honda Coil springs from Cox motor parts which cost me £147.

Honda dealership charge about £165 for part only and their labour rate is £98 + VAT per hour and this job is 2.5 hours for both fronts to replace.

I checked with a local garage and they offered £140 + VAT to do both if i supplied the parts.

This is expensive for a guy who doesn't know much about fixing cars

What bothers me is that how come Eurocarparts offer Anschler coils at £44 each; Half the price compared to Cox?

Are these products not made to a high standard?

how can one tell that OEM from Honda is 'better' in quality than lets say Sachs or Anschler?

That's confused me more than the above thread lol You're right about the insurance side if vehicle is modified. It's a diesel so it's not gona go that fast around country corners..

I also realise that Goodyear Eagle F1 A3 tyres are the manufacturers recommendation so i may buy two via tyre shopper as they coming at £80 each including fitting.

The Sachs or Anschler springs might cost less due to the product being made in larger quantities as the OEM springs. It shouldnít matter if they are all replaced as a set. The Honda springs might cost more due to supplier availability or a premium on the OE parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 16th April 2018, 21:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: '10 2.2 5dr,Sapphire Blue ES
Eco display
Yes i guess it's knowing what brand is reliable and ok to purchase for the car even though it is not a 'honda part' i.e. doesn't have the label on it to say Honda 'was here'.

That's where the experienced mechanics can advise cause they know the industry.

it's the same with fuel filters, air filters, pollen filters. Crosland fuel filter is £20 after the discounts from Eurocarparts. Whereas honda fuel filter is about £35-£40.

There's so many different brands and different pricing and then there's 'Honda' OEM parts from Cox motor parts. Sometimes you don't want to deviate to another brand as you want the 'right' part for your car or what's best for car.
I noticed the Bosch wipers are more expensive than Honda ones!
Mikey421 likes this.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 16th April 2018, 21:53
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Quote:
Yes i don't have the know-how to fix these things. The local garage said that sometimes the drop links have to be cut off when replacing springs. is that true? She said that it might not be the case for me since i had them changed a year ago.
Yes, drop links attach to the strut and the anti roll bar, and they can seize if they have not been put together with copper grease when fitted. Sometimes you can land lucky and they come apart no problem, often them need cut off.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 18th April 2018, 11:17
Oldboy-racer

Car: 2009 Milano 2.2 iCTDi
Don't knock it because it's a derv mine goes plenty fast around corners.
But every mod seems to come with a caveat. Don't go 30mm lowering or you won't get up multi story car parks or over speed ramps.
I had HW 20mm lowered and I got sick of it scraping on everything then there is the rubbing in the top of the wheel arch problem on full compression, but as you're not going that route then no worries.
I would definitely change both to keep the car balanced otherwise there will be a difference that you'll most notice when braking heavily and it'll make the car swerve to one side.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
cb550 likes this.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 18th April 2018, 12:17
Supporter

As for your hesitation issue I would definitely have a look at cleaning your EGR. Could be clogged. Iíll find the thread on here for you to have a look at. From what Iíve gathered is pretty easy to take out clean and re-fit. Guys with the 2.2s notice a crazy difference.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 18th April 2018, 12:23
Supporter

@jammy dodger I have mentioned you in the thread mate. Have a wee look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 18th April 2018, 21:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
EGR valves keeps coming up in the site when 'hesitation' is mentioned about the car. It is something on my mind and i'm still to ask Honda Dealership for a cost to clean them. I did go to the Dealer in Paisley on Monday but i forgot to ask how much cause their Tech went in the car but it didn't 'hesitate' but i gave him an A4 paper with all the info of my car since i bought it and it's history and possible causes for a car 'hesitation'. of course, i got all that info. from this site which he wont know !

he thought my paper was very helpful and he kept it but i have to bring the car back and maybe leave it with them for a day or two at most if they can find it. Personally, i think they need to drive it in traffic for a few weeks to experience the problem otherwise it's a 'hit and miss'.

FergyCiv, which thread did you mention me on, i wasn't sure how to find it on here?
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 18th April 2018, 21:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Forgot to mention, My OEM Honda coil springs arrived today along with 500ml of Brake Fluid Dot 4 which i hope is enough to do a full change from Cox Parts.
These coil springs are heavy and huge! They look solid!
i wonder what the Anschlers would look like or the Sachs to compare!
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 18th April 2018, 22:39
Supporter

Quote:
EGR valves keeps coming up in the site when 'hesitation' is mentioned about the car. It is something on my mind and i'm still to ask Honda Dealership for a cost to clean them. I did go to the Dealer in Paisley on Monday but i forgot to ask how much cause their Tech went in the car but it didn't 'hesitate' but i gave him an A4 paper with all the info of my car since i bought it and it's history and possible causes for a car 'hesitation'. of course, i got all that info. from this site which he wont know !

he thought my paper was very helpful and he kept it but i have to bring the car back and maybe leave it with them for a day or two at most if they can find it. Personally, i think they need to drive it in traffic for a few weeks to experience the problem otherwise it's a 'hit and miss'.

FergyCiv, which thread did you mention me on, i wasn't sure how to find it on here?

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how-gui...egr-valve.html
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 19th April 2018, 10:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Thanks for the thread link.
That doesn't look easy to me¨! I think i'd need someone to help me to do all that. I'd like to but I don't think I can.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 19th April 2018, 13:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
I got both coil springs changed and the brake fluid changed too at the local garage. They struggled to get the broken coil spring off the NSF apparently it had been broken for a while is why it was jammed.
So glad that I took it for an MOT a month early cause it could've got a lot worse and damaged other bits of suspension without realising.
So, I went to ATS afterwards but couldn't get MOT done because their MOT computers are all down it must be a nationwide thing cause I heard the lady at local garage telling one of her customers that she couldn't issue out the MOT certificate cause comps were down.
Anyway, while I was at ATS a customer came in and his Audi had a flat tyre- nail in tyre. Luckily ATS were able to provide him with a space saver wheel as they didn't have his tyre spec. or the customer had a space saver wheel, I can't remember which.
So I got chatting to the ATS guy and he said that the tyre fluid our cars have damage the tyres if used on a flat tyre, is this true?
does anyone have any advice on it? And therefore, is it worth paying £150 from Cox to get a space saver wheel? it's got me thinking perhaps I ought to have a spare wheel to get me out of difficult situation?
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 19th April 2018, 13:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
Forgot to say, i'll be taking car back to ATS tomorrow for the retest as I've got another £10 groupon MOT voucher!
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 19th April 2018, 22:58
Supporter

as far as the tyre repair gunk is concerned it a last try thing if the tyre won't re inflate and stay up long enough to get you home or a tyre place
if there's damage to the side wall nothing is going to repair the tyre and yes tyre places do not like working with tyres that have been filled with gunk and some refuse to repair the puncture but it's been like that for years

plenty of people in the classified adds here sell the space savers when the sell the car on it might be worth keeping an eye open for one it will save you some money
Farqui and jammy dodger like this.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 20th April 2018, 11:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
This is helpful thanks I will definitely keep a look out cause it's about £150 brand new.
That's more expensive than a Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SuperPremium tyre!

My MOT passed!
cosmicma and Farqui like this.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 4th May 2018, 07:27

Car: 1.8 FK2 NHB
Garage
Find an EP3 breaking oas they came with space saver wheels or look on eBay etc. I Got mine for £20.00
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 16th May 2018, 22:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Eco display
i paid £100 for space saver wheel, it's never been used and had the bolt, net, sponges, jack etc..
i know it's a bit pricey but it costs £170 brand new from Cox.
i haven't bolted it into the boot yet, wasn't sure if I should cut the carpet or not?
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 31st May 2018, 08:11

Car: 1.8 FK2 NHB
Garage
Mines sits nicely in the lower compartment no cutting needed
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 31st May 2018, 09:01
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,558 Posts
Garage
you mentioned car hesitation,egr clean is a must but my experience on these honda's only use genuine filters especially the air and fuel filter using aftermarket can cause rough running...

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page