Brakes HELP! Civic 1.8 FK2 2009 braking issues - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 22:04 Thread Starter

HELP! Civic 1.8 FK2 2009 braking issues

Hey there guys,

i'm the proud owner of a Civic FK2 1.8 (R18A2) 2009. I've always liked the 8th gen civic, and with the arrival of the 10th generation the 8th generation depreciated heavily where i'm from. I managed to get a mint 1.8 with 120.000km on the dash, and more important it only had one previous owner, a chick that received the car as a present from her dad. It had a clean MOT record, no crash history and was always serviced on Honda dealerships. I could tell the car never saw much action. She even told me she was afraid to rev the engine above 4.5/5k revs and i clearly saw by her driving that it was true. So i bought the car and took it to the shop the same day and only brought it home after a K&N 57i cold air intake system installation, a good waxing and some type-s body-kit upgrades in the shop. The car looks amazing a goes like stink for a 1.8 engine.

Now comes the bad part... I've instantly realized that the braking system had not sufficient braking power for that little imp. Since the previous owner had the car stored in her garage during the whole winter i blamed it on the discs and ordered some MTEC slotted disc and some OEM braking pads from Bosch. Its braking power improved slightly, but after some hard braking the pedal simply feels spongy and the air fans go on all the time, it smells like worn brake pads a lot and even the damn rims get hot (true story!). The car doesn't really gave me confidence when i really push the braking pedal. They just don't bite like any regular cars. Last week i took my girlfriend's diesel peugeot 208 to be serviced and that thing really brakes hard with stock brakes. Then when she came home with the civic (she took it, since i took her car to the shop that day) and said that the lack of braking power scared her a few times.
I don't do track, i usually drive fast on twisty county streets but i already did that with my previous car (a MKII clio 1.5 dci with stock brakes) and never had any issue with its brakes and always used OEM pads.

I want to solve the issue for good, so i'm about:
- MTEC Slotted discs (Already installed)
- EBC's Greenstuff
- MTEC braided brake lines
- Replace brake fluid (Need your help here since i don't know much about this. People here tend to recommend Motul RFB600 DOT4 a lot. Or can i get something better (DOT 5.1) since i'm also upgrading to braided brake lines?)
Overall, what do you think about this setup?

1.8 FN/FK drivers, has any of you experienced this kind of issue? How did you sorted it out
When you really brake hard does your car really stop ok when compared to other cars you driver regularly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 22:40
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Seems like a few different issues going on to be honest;
Spongy brake pedal should hopefully be remedied by the above, changing brake fluid and lines.

The toasted brake smell and warm wheels would imply binding pads, which are seemingly quite common on the 8g - Have you tried lubing the guide pins?

Onto the fans, not too sure about that!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 23:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
The toasted brake smell and warm wheels would imply binding pads, which are seemingly quite common on the 8g - Have you tried lubing the guide pins?
Now that you talk about that it makes 100% sense. Will get it done.
What about the braking fluid. What should i get?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 00:02
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesexpistol View Post
Now that you talk about that it makes 100% sense. Will get it done.
What about the braking fluid. What should i get?
The various brands on offer are up to you; but the civic 8g takes DOT3 or DOT4 Brake fluid:-
If you want OEM Honda, which is a safe bet, you can get it from Cox: https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/hond...-fluid-500-ml/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 01:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
The various brands on offer are up to you; but the civic 8g takes DOT3 or DOT4 Brake fluid:-
If you want OEM Honda, which is a safe bet
I think i'll go with honda then. it's cheap and safe.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 01:53 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Haltamer i think you're right. Looks like both front calipers are having some issue. They damaged the discs pretty fast too
I'm taking it to the shop first thing tomorrow.

This doesn't look good.
https://imgur.com/a/tviMRgs
https://imgur.com/a/8bjynic

Last edited by thesexpistol; 21st May 2018 at 01:58.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 11:39
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
Honda does a fluid change for 29.99 all in, get it booked in and let them do it.

If you need replacement callipers i have a working set that ive pulled off of mine when i upgraded, i can also include a brand new rebuild kit with pistons, seals and bleed nipple.

If you want me to make a thread ill be happy to do so for you in the sales pages. With regards to the disk photos youve shown, thats totally normal wear and tear. Disks are made out to cast iron and cast iron rusts

Braided lines have a tendency to snap and be less flexible so i wouldnt be putting them on. Standard lines are made of kevlar and rubber which are perfectly adequate for the job. AS youve also got greenstuff pads and new disks, how long has it been since youve installed these in terms of mileage? They need breaking in time.

Last edited by lightningslow; 21st May 2018 at 11:45.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 18:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningslow View Post
If you need replacement callipers i have a working set that ive pulled off of mine when i upgraded, i can also include a brand new rebuild kit with pistons, seals and bleed nipple.
Thank you for the offer. The car is in the shop and i still don't know if i will be needing it. If i do i'll drop you a PM.

Quote:
Braided lines have a tendency to snap and be less flexible so i wouldnt be putting them on. Standard lines are made of kevlar and rubber which are perfectly adequate for the job.
I guess i'll leave braided lines as a lot resort then.

Quote:
AS youve also got greenstuff pads and new disks, how long has it been since youve installed these in terms of mileage? They need breaking in time.
At the moment i only have new MTEC grooved discs with Bosch OEM pads. They did roughly 2000 kms.

I have order greenstuff pads for both front and rear and 1L of Motul RBF600. Hope that does it. Also at the shop they told they would order a caliper repair kit from TRW and give them a proper service.

I sincerely hope that does it
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 18:53
Supporter

Garage
Have you considered trying one of these? good brake upgrade
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-AN...-/372309715861

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 21st May 2018, 20:15

Hello, I had this with mine the brakes binding turned out to be the slider pins I got these off eBay, these are for the front.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F331668766086

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page