Suspension Type S improving ride quality - Civinfo
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th March 2019, 07:46 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2007 Type S 1.8, Milano Red
Type S improving ride quality

Hi everyone, this is my first post after searching through many threads on suspension improvements.

I have had my 2007 Type S 1.8 for 2 months now, but the ride quality is getting unbearable & causing motion sickness when i drive on uneven roads.

I have come from an EP3 Type R so im used to a bumpy ride but this car seems to be more 'bouncy'. I have read in the Wiki pages that my Type S has stiffer springs & the shocks have a faster rebound over the standard models.

My brother has a 5 door EX 1.8 & his seems to ride a bit nicer, so has anyone tried fitting the 5 door springs & shocks to a Type S to improve the ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th March 2019, 15:44

Car: 2008 Type S GT 2.2
I ended up putting coilovers on my 2.2 Type S because the ride was unbearable for me. I felt like I was wrecking the car going over potholes.

The Sachs OEM shock has been replaced with a new part number and by all accounts is a better ride handling shock than the first one was. Should be no reason why u couldn't put the five door shock into a Type S.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th March 2019, 19:44 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I have seen that coilovers or Eibach springs seem to be the answer, but if i could improve the ride without lowering it would be better as i go down some rough country lanes which would lead to scraping if lowered ( i found out the hard way when the EP3 was running Eibach pro -15mm springs)

I think i will try and swap the rear springs & shocks next weekend as its only 2 bolts each side.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 8th March 2019, 10:38 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

A quick update for you, i have contacted a company called Springcoil in Sheffield about making some oem height progressive springs.
They manufacture their own oem springs, lowering springs, or custom made springs. It seems they already do an oem progressive spring for a Landrover to improve the ride quality.

Now just waiting for a reply with a price, Their -20mm lowering spring kit for the FN2 is £146 so hopefully custom springs wont cost too much more.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 18th March 2019, 09:43
Supporter

Garage
Interesting idea, let us know how it all goes.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st March 2019, 18:18

Car: 8th Gen 2011 Civic 1.8
I may even consider this considering the low cost so would like to know what the ride is like.

I was going to suggest my stock reply of avoiding "Sport" tyres and use no more than the recommended 30 psi has improved the pothole ride allot. Some of us here on the CrossClimate tyres are running smooth.

Also, I did not think the Type S was running on different springs, it's just a body kit. The rider is trashier on the 17 inch wheels.

Last edited by johandesilva; 21st March 2019 at 18:23.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 08:34 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I have an update on theses custom springs, we have discussed the idea and they can make the progressive springs but my oem ride height (my Type S height is lower than the 5 door i believe). Their estimate is £55-£75 per spring. I will know more when i have sent my springs for them to measure and design the new setup properly.

They are asking where the progressive coils should be and i have looked at photos of the Eibach Pro Kit for our car, but it seems only the rears are progressive. Can anyone confirm if the Eibach front springs are progressively wound or not?
Farqui likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 10:50
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
All of this discussion seems to be around springs. Ride quality will be significantly affected by the dampers too?

What dampers do you have and how old (mileage?) are they? If they are old / more than 80k miles they they're going to be shagged. Put some good quality replacement items on there and you'll see a huge difference. I'd def recommend you try this first before messing around with custom made springs.

I put bilstein b8 on the front of my 9g (along with eibachs all round) - big improvement.
Farqui and HENDY like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 13:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

The car had 4 new dampers fitted last July by the previous owner, not sure what brand they were though as its not stated on the paperwork or on the dampers.
Tyres are Michelin Primacy 3 and all set at 30psi, plenty of tread left on all 4.

My brother has the 5 door EX and his front dampers are leaking and need changing, but his still rides so much better. His is on 18" wheels too.

It just seems like an overly 'bouncy' feel you seem to get with this car, like the rebound is too fast or the springs are too stiff for the dampers to control? It rattles through small bumps and springs back too much on uneven patches of road.

I test drove 3 Type S models & a Type R FN2 and they all seemed to be very harsh, i was hoping i would get used to it.

I cant think of anything else i could change to sort it out? Im going off previous posts that most people find Eibach progressive springs help the issue.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 15:21
Supporter

Car: 2010 1.8 Type S GT Tangerine
Garage
damper wise you are better off getting SACHS or BILSTEIN, my car is 9 years old and all my dampers will be changed shortly, i went for Bilstein
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 15:22 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

So would you say that buying some good quality dampers would be better? Just incase the new ones fitted are cheap and not performing well?

Maybe just some rear Bilstein/Sachs as they are cheaper and easier to fit.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 15:49
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
they might be relatively new dampers but they could be cheap/ poor quality- who knows?

given that the ride is ****e it's quite likely they are cheap rubbish..?
Thanks to rob.e from:
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 4th April 2019, 16:22
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLee View Post
So would you say that buying some good quality dampers would be better? Just incase the new ones fitted are cheap and not performing well?

Maybe just some rear Bilstein/Sachs as they are cheaper and easier to fit.
they are easy to fit if you can get the bolt out the bottom, struggling to get mine undone, i have brought new bolts just in case it goes sideways and i snap the head off, i paid less than £100 for a pair of Bilsteins delivered
Thanks to Grossey from:
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 5th April 2019, 08:28 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the advice guys, i will look into a pair of rear Bilstein shocks and go from there.

Any recommendations for where to get them from? I've seen www.Autodoc.co.uk have them for £50.09 each.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 5th April 2019, 13:07
Supporter

Garage
i got mine from Buy Car Parts, which it the UK branch of Autodoc, they had a better deal on when i brought mine a couple of weeks ago, think it was 22 or 23% off, i see they current only have 15% off. i also used Top Cash Back because Buy Car Parts are on there and were offering 10% cash back, not had any cash back yet but its worth a try
i paid £97.73 delivered for two shocks and they still came from Germany
if i do get any cash back it will more or less cover the delivery charge
Thanks to Grossey from:
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 6th April 2019, 23:25
Supporter

Grossey, did you see a noticeable ride improvement with the new Bilstein shocks?
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 7th April 2019, 17:48
Supporter

Hi Grossey,

Did you manage to replace the dampers? Can you tell us if you notice a difference from the OEM setup?

Thanks
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 9th April 2019, 16:47
Supporter

Garage
sorry only just seen your post, yes its a lot better but then that's compared to knac*ered SACHS shocks, so i could say how much better SACHS are to BILSTEIN or vice versa, its better and i replace them myself so i'm happy
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 9th April 2019, 18:56
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
When you say 'better' do you mean a softer or stiffer ride or just less 'wallow'?
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10th April 2019, 08:53
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
When you say 'better' do you mean a softer or stiffer ride or just less 'wallow'?
less wallow, i would say its on the stiffer side, i have heard a few clunks from the rear end this morning, im hoping it may be the jack in the boot, so going to wrap it in bubble wrap or foam to see if that works

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page