Suspension Broken coil spring - should I just change everything? - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By M8TJT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th June 2019, 21:16 Thread Starter

Car: Honda Civic 2007 1.8 SE
Broken coil spring - should I just change everything?

So I took the Honda for an MOT today. Everything was going great until the guy found a broken spring which I stupidly missed when inspecting the car as it is broken in the back and only detectable by touch. Anyway, I had decided to change both springs but thought why not change the shocks too as they are the original ones. (2007, 32k miles) I also have a knocking sound from that side which wasn't fixed by changing the drop links. It only clunks on full left lock. I think it could be the top mount so since I'm in there might as well change them too.

The guy told me that often when the springs are changed the shocks break a couple of months later because they are more stressed than usual (not sure how). He already knew I'm doing it myself so no incentive to upsell. Is there any truth to that?

Anyway, the total adds up to £205. £100 for two new Sachs, £43 for two KYB springs and £60 for two OE quality top mounts with bearings. I would do just the springs but if the clunking is present then it would all have to go out again to change the top mount anyway. Regarding the shocks - there are no leaks or anything but they are old. So its either £205 for everything or £43 for springs and fingers crossed that solves the clunking noise.

Considering age and mileage what would you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th June 2019, 23:37

Car: 2010 2.0, Taffeta White
Change out the shocks as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 08:17
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
If your avatar is anything to go by, your car has remarkably good road holding Mikey.
Mikey421 likes this.
Thanks to M8TJT from:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 13:41

Car: 2010 2.0, Taffeta White
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
If your avatar is anything to go by, your car has remarkably good road holding Mikey.

It’s a 2.0 2010 Civic SI ( Canada )..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 16:30

It could be the drop link or the anti roll bar bushes. I had knocking sound on mine until I changed them
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 19th June 2019, 17:21 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbox80 View Post
It could be the drop link or the anti roll bar bushes. I had knocking sound on mine until I changed them
I've already changed the drop links and bushes a month after getting the car, also copper greased the plate on the bottom as per Honda instructions. That removed 95% of the noise. It's only this full left lock induced clunk. I am pretty sure its either the spring itself or the top mount as the noise sounds as if coming from higher in the car, unlike the drop link clunk.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st June 2019, 15:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

So is the overall consensus to change everything or is there life in the shocks?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st June 2019, 19:19
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,558 Posts
Garage
changed all mine 18 months ago, I had one leaking front shock and that dreaded clunking twanging noise so I ended up changing the complete suspension, front and rear with Sachs shocks and eibach lowering springs and genuine top mounts and top strut bearings and what a massive difference it made no clunking sound and a smoother ride over bumps, the knocking was the top mounts and the twanging noise was the top strut bearing, I was advised to use genuine top mounts and bearing by my friend who is a mechanic because he said he's fitted aftermarket one's before but they have failed early ,so if you buy aftermarket get good quality one's...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2019, 00:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni.babe View Post
changed all mine 18 months ago, I had one leaking front shock and that dreaded clunking twanging noise so I ended up changing the complete suspension, front and rear with Sachs shocks and eibach lowering springs and genuine top mounts and top strut bearings and what a massive difference it made no clunking sound and a smoother ride over bumps, the knocking was the top mounts and the twanging noise was the top strut bearing, I was advised to use genuine top mounts and bearing by my friend who is a mechanic because he said he's fitted aftermarket one's before but they have failed early ,so if you buy aftermarket get good quality one's...
I’ve found original Sachs but the top mounts are aftermarket. The original ones are quite expensive. Still undecided. I’d rather save the money and do springs only but I plan to keep the car for a while.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page