Suspension Continuous noise - front-end of Civic - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shakman87

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 12:39 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 silver Civic - 1.8 EX
Continuous noise - front-end of Civic

Hi All.
First time posting so hopefully in the correct area.
Just purchased a UK 2007 Civic 1.8 EX model about two weeks back.Last owner had not taken much care of it ( broken wing mirror, black oil, green residue in coolant ) plus it had been stood for a while but I can see potential in the old girl...mileage 111000

It has recently started producing a noise like a thump/squelch from the offside wheel arch , it is especially noticeable on low speed,uneven surfaces and tight cornering to the left. Occasionally I can drive a few miles with no noise , hit a hole and it starts again , other times it is there the whole journey. Once or twice there has been a whistle noise from the front but this goes after a few mins of driving off but has appeared during a drive and then gone again
The front end can be a little choppy sometimes when it is happening but not bouncing all over in the case of worn shocks or springs.Braking is fine with no hesitation or pulling to the left/right.
I took it to my regular mechanic for a full service but as he was busy he did a brief check and noted that the springs,shocks,track ends were ok. I mentioned that the bump stops are a known issue but he said they appeared ok and not perished. The discs are not warped or scored, the caliper looks a little rusty but does not appear to be binding on.
I am taking it back in this week so he can do a full check as he said he did not have time during the service and last inspection was a brief check.

Anyway just looking for pointers to try and save him sometime. Does this sound like a classic bump stop fail or top mounts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 12:55
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Certainly sounds like something in/on the shock
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 13:18

Car: 2012 EX 1.8 i-VTEC Manual
Our mk8 also had that squelching noise for years, eventually the shock absorber started leaking so changed it and the squelching magically disappeared, so probably was that all along.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 14:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the posts..hopefully it will be something straight forward..will keep updated on here..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 18:32

The coolant is meant to be green btw
Farqui likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11th September 2019, 20:42
Supporter

Car: 56 2.2 CDTI EX, Cosmic grey
Garage
This sounds a lot like mine a few months ago, it's making a right racket now & sounds like grating metal (or maybe it's the spring creacking?) when i go over a speed-bump or on a rough road.
Looking at the shocks the bump-stop has slid down the shock and doesn't appear to sit in the top mount on one side. The top mount it looks like the the shock is sitting in it at a tiny angle, the wheel also appears to have a tiny bit of camber. i'm going to swap out the shocks and the top mounts on it. Not sure if i should bite the bullet and buy some Eibach lowering springs while i'm at it.
Is there anything else anyone recommends doing?
Del
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th September 2019, 14:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the helpful advice , still not got car in but mechanic thinks it is worn shocker, your post has made me think I may get the top mounts checked or replaced along with them.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page