2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Continuous noise - front-end of Civic

Suspension 
3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Grossey 
#1 ·
Hi All.
First time posting so hopefully in the correct area.
Just purchased a UK 2007 Civic 1.8 EX model about two weeks back.Last owner had not taken much care of it ( broken wing mirror, black oil, green residue in coolant ) plus it had been stood for a while but I can see potential in the old girl...mileage 111000

It has recently started producing a noise like a thump/squelch from the offside wheel arch , it is especially noticeable on low speed,uneven surfaces and tight cornering to the left. Occasionally I can drive a few miles with no noise , hit a hole and it starts again , other times it is there the whole journey. Once or twice there has been a whistle noise from the front but this goes after a few mins of driving off but has appeared during a drive and then gone again
The front end can be a little choppy sometimes when it is happening but not bouncing all over in the case of worn shocks or springs.Braking is fine with no hesitation or pulling to the left/right.
I took it to my regular mechanic for a full service but as he was busy he did a brief check and noted that the springs,shocks,track ends were ok. I mentioned that the bump stops are a known issue but he said they appeared ok and not perished. The discs are not warped or scored, the caliper looks a little rusty but does not appear to be binding on.
I am taking it back in this week so he can do a full check as he said he did not have time during the service and last inspection was a brief check.

Anyway just looking for pointers to try and save him sometime. Does this sound like a classic bump stop fail or top mounts?

See less See more
#6 ·
This sounds a lot like mine a few months ago, it's making a right racket now & sounds like grating metal (or maybe it's the spring creacking?) when i go over a speed-bump or on a rough road.
Looking at the shocks the bump-stop has slid down the shock and doesn't appear to sit in the top mount on one side. The top mount it looks like the the shock is sitting in it at a tiny angle, the wheel also appears to have a tiny bit of camber. i'm going to swap out the shocks and the top mounts on it. Not sure if i should bite the bullet and buy some Eibach lowering springs while i'm at it.
Is there anything else anyone recommends doing?
Del

#8 ·
Ok so an update on this post. Drop links and bushings replaced on Fri just gone but sound still persists. Not as bad but still a distinct rubber squelch type , more noticeable at slow speed on uneven road, although it can be heard the odd time when travelling faster but intermittent. There is the odd bounce as well when the noise starts.. Bit annoyed as two garages have both said it was drop links, one even had it on a rolling road , despite me mentioning bump stops is a known issue these were dismissed. Shockers and suspension check out ok. I am thinking of replacing bump stops and top mounts. Quick question could any suspension components carry noise through to the driver side wheel arch area?

#9 ·
So the rubber thump was gone for a day or two but back yesterday with a vengeance making an audible noise on both uneven and flat road. When it was quiet the temp was minus yet it was cold but sunny on the day the noise appeared again. When the noise does start it is followed by the occasional bounce from the front end. Shockers have been checked as ok.
The local mechanic does not want to keep swapping parts out and charging me only for it not to work which is fair. I am now looking at the top mounts and bearings to replace. Any thoughts on this?

#10 ·
i would suggest new shocks, bump stop / bearing kit, top mounts and use genuine Honda one for the best results, i would also recommend some Eibach Springs while you are doing it, i have Bilstein shocks all round

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.