Tyre Other Rear tyre problem Civic 1.8 i-vtec sport (merged) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 15:23 Thread Starter

Rear tyre problem Civic 1.8 i-vtec sport (merged)

Hi All

I'm new to this but have had Honda Civic for 3 mths now and very pleased with it apart from current problem.

Car has done nearly 10k but I have only had it for the last 5k prior to that it was a demo.

Have now had to change both rear tyres as both bald and illegal. Never had to change rear tyres before apart from punctures.

Dealer says we must have hit something to cause impact damage to rear stub axle and beam (although he only guessing as has not taken wheels off for full inspecton) which has put tyres out, but I know we have not hit anything.

Does anyone know of any problems as I don't see how this can have happened so quickly and not happy to pay for something I now we haven't done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 15:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Rear Tyre Problem

Can anyone help please.

Car has done nearly 10k but I have only had it for the last 5k prior to that it was a demo.

Have now had to change both rear tyres as both bald and illegal. Never had to change rear tyres before apart from punctures.

Dealer says we must have hit something to cause impact damage to rear stub axle and beam (although he only guessing as has not taken wheels off for full inspecton) which has put tyres out, but I know we have not hit anything.

Does anyone know of any problems as I don't see how this can have happened so quickly and not happy to pay for something I now we haven't done.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 15:45
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Somethings causing excessive wear, I would have the dealer look at it properly, he should know that both rear tyres bald after 10k is very unusual.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 15:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thank you

he said that if they take it in and look at it then they will charge us to do this even though its under warrenty.

Is it true that the cars comes standard with Bridgestone, because the ones that were damaged were Michelins.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 16:02
pcr

If you haven't damaged the car then it must have happened when it was a demo, in which case the dealer probably knows about it. Something smells fishy to me.
Are the front and rear tyres the same type ?
You could ask to see the workshop log for the car. I think I would insist that the car was faulty when purchased and should be repaired under warranty, else it's going to be expensive.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie View Post
Thank you

he said that if they take it in and look at it then they will charge us to do this even though its under warrenty.

Is it true that the cars comes standard with Bridgestone, because the ones that were damaged were Michelins.

Not all Civics are supplied with the same make tyres. Mine was supplied with Michelins. I have a 2007 5 door 2.2iCTDi Sport.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 16:26
Supporter

Are the front ok ? Maybe the Stealers have swopped them all round which is possible.
I have an 06 which has Michelins all round.
Just being nosey but who is the dealer ?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 16:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks all

Do you think I can safely argue that because I have only had the car for the last 5k then that wear on the tyres could not possibly be down to me.
Therefore the car was sold as not fit for purpose and resulting defects should be covered by the dealer.?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 16:37
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Quote:
Thanks all

Do you think I can safely argue that because I have only had the car for the last 5k then that wear on the tyres could not possibly be down to me.
Therefore the car was sold as not fit for purpose and resulting defects should be covered by the dealer.?
Unless the tyres were well on their way to baldness when you bought the car, then you really can't say the car was not fit for purpose. Was there any sign of tyre wear or uneven wear when you bought the car??

With the state of roads in the UK, a pothole could cause a misalignment of the rear suspension. Or it could be caused by a fault within the suspension components. I would get the car checked as soon as possible either way
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 16:58
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks all

Cassie, the brands fitted to the Civic are Michelin Primacy/Pilot Sport and Bridgestone ER300 for the 16", and only Michelins for the 17".
With front wheel drive cars, the front tyres will normally wear out before the rears, so something must have happened to make the rear tyres wear out first. Maybe the tyres have been swapped over to make them last, but anyway, you shouldn't be changing tyres after only 10k, no matter what brand.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 18:01

not on mine chum, rear tyres are fine but then again there isnt even 1k on it :s
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 18:07

Rear tyres should wear very slowly.

A couple of things come to mind. What were the tyres like when you got the car? Could the front and rears been swapped before you got the car, in which case they could already have been worn?

If the tryes have worn badly while fitted on the back, it would indicate an alignment or suspension problem, but it is odd that BOTH rears are worn.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 17th May 2007, 19:40
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
A geometry check at a tyre fitter might just point you in the right direction. It could be that the last owner smacked it just before you bought the car. All should be fixable though.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 19th May 2007, 08:58

Sounds like you need to check your tracking. If you tyres are all pointing in th esam edirection they distribute the same directional speed in the smae direction unless turning. If they dont point in the same direction ie the tracking is off, the car will suffer from tyre wear....I cant remember if its lateral or central, but it will put your grip off with excessive wear in that region.

Amit

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page