Brakes Brake Pad Wear - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 31st October 2015, 16:39 Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 24th May 2015
Location: Essex, UK GB
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Brake Pad Wear

My car had its second service on Monday at 21,000 miles. Reading through the service sheet, the front pads are 40% worn and the rears 50%. The front pads are a little more worn than expected but I'm more concerned about the rears. I've read online some 8g Civics wearing their rear pads alarmingly quickly but there isn't much about the 9g suffering from this. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did Honda do anything?

On the 8g there was some mention of over active VSA and whilst I do enjoy cornering briskly at times, this isn't a regular thing - the front tyres (225/45/r17) are on 4mm and rears 5mm after 21k so its not been thrashed.
Will86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 12:18
 
Join Date: 4th January 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia AU
Posts: 493
Thanks: 4
Thanked 62 Times in 58 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will86 View Post
My car had its second service on Monday at 21,000 miles. Reading through the service sheet, the front pads are 40% worn and the rears 50%. The front pads are a little more worn than expected but I'm more concerned about the rears. I've read online some 8g Civics wearing their rear pads alarmingly quickly but there isn't much about the 9g suffering from this. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did Honda do anything?
I just had my 4th service at 28,000km (17,000mi).

My rear brakes were at 2% (LOL) and my fronts are at 60%. I was surprised that the rears wore so much faster than the fronts.

Should I be concerned?
Tea-Aholic is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2015, 13:02
 
nkoulban's Avatar
 
Car: 2013 Civic VTiL
Join Date: 14th July 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia AU
Posts: 51
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Aholic View Post
I just had my 4th service at 28,000km (17,000mi).

My rear brakes were at 2% (LOL) and my fronts are at 60%. I was surprised that the rears wore so much faster than the fronts.

Should I be concerned?
The rotors and pads on the Civic hatch are soft and wear quickly. I understand that this is to comply with European rules regarding brake performance in cold and icy conditions. In Australia, you can replace the OEM rotors with Protec and aftermarket pads. The result is not much brake dust and much longer brake life.

Honda Australia have now take 60% off the parts cost form pads and rotors due to many owner complaints, so an OEM brake job should not be punishingly expensive.
nkoulban is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 13:23
 
Join Date: 26th February 2014
Location: WOLVERHAMPTON GB
Posts: 95
Thanks: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Eco display Eco display
On my 25000 mile service they said that front pads were 25% worn and rear 95%.

I had to have new rear pads fitted at 100.

The service manager could only say that it must be how I drove when I said that something wasn't right. I argued that the only way my driving could cause it was if I went everywhere with my handbrake on.

I will be using a different dealer for my future servicing.
Bobbajob is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 15:15
Supporter
 
IWANTACIVIC's Avatar
 
Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Join Date: 16th September 2006
Location: LINCS UK ENGLAND
Posts: 1,615
Thanks: 37
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbajob View Post
On my 25000 mile service they said that front pads were 25% worn and rear 95%.

I had to have new rear pads fitted at 100.

The service manager could only say that it must be how I drove when I said that something wasn't right. I argued that the only way my driving could cause it was if I went everywhere with my handbrake on.

I will be using a different dealer for my future servicing.
Is this coming a problem ? Anyone else had this ?
IWANTACIVIC is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 19:17
Supporter
 
jc40's Avatar
 
Car: 2012 CIVIC 2.2 I-DTEC SE
Join Date: 22nd February 2014
Location: Leeds, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 307
Thanks: 9
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Had my car serviced a few weeks ago at 31k miles and they said front and rear pads were 70% worn.
jc40 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th November 2015, 16:44
 
Join Date: 4th January 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia AU
Posts: 493
Thanks: 4
Thanked 62 Times in 58 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoulban View Post
The rotors and pads on the Civic hatch are soft and wear quickly. I understand that this is to comply with European rules regarding brake performance in cold and icy conditions. In Australia, you can replace the OEM rotors with Protec and aftermarket pads. The result is not much brake dust and much longer brake life.

Honda Australia have now take 60% off the parts cost form pads and rotors due to many owner complaints, so an OEM brake job should not be punishingly expensive.
Do you have a link to Protec pads? Or any aftermarket ones?

I have been to many store, all of them are out of stock. There are front ones from Bendix on eBay though.
Tea-Aholic is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brakes Front pad wear marc.hedges Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 7 20th October 2013 21:10
Brakes Uneven Pad wear... onweed Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 8 14th September 2011 21:45
Brakes Brake pad wear indicators rogp1 Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 5 28th January 2011 14:30
Brakes High rear pad wear Soichiro Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 2 28th July 2010 12:42
Brakes pad wear front vs rear stu_iow Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 10 23rd July 2010 14:18

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome