Brakes Brake Pad Wear - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 31st October 2015, 16:39 Thread Starter

Brake Pad Wear

My car had its second service on Monday at 21,000 miles. Reading through the service sheet, the front pads are 40% worn and the rears 50%. The front pads are a little more worn than expected but I'm more concerned about the rears. I've read online some 8g Civics wearing their rear pads alarmingly quickly but there isn't much about the 9g suffering from this. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did Honda do anything?

On the 8g there was some mention of over active VSA and whilst I do enjoy cornering briskly at times, this isn't a regular thing - the front tyres (225/45/r17) are on 4mm and rears 5mm after 21k so its not been thrashed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will86 View Post
My car had its second service on Monday at 21,000 miles. Reading through the service sheet, the front pads are 40% worn and the rears 50%. The front pads are a little more worn than expected but I'm more concerned about the rears. I've read online some 8g Civics wearing their rear pads alarmingly quickly but there isn't much about the 9g suffering from this. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did Honda do anything?
I just had my 4th service at 28,000km (17,000mi).

My rear brakes were at 2% (LOL) and my fronts are at 60%. I was surprised that the rears wore so much faster than the fronts.

Should I be concerned?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2015, 13:02

Car: 2013 Civic VTiL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Aholic View Post
I just had my 4th service at 28,000km (17,000mi).

My rear brakes were at 2% (LOL) and my fronts are at 60%. I was surprised that the rears wore so much faster than the fronts.

Should I be concerned?
The rotors and pads on the Civic hatch are soft and wear quickly. I understand that this is to comply with European rules regarding brake performance in cold and icy conditions. In Australia, you can replace the OEM rotors with Protec and aftermarket pads. The result is not much brake dust and much longer brake life.

Honda Australia have now take 60% off the parts cost form pads and rotors due to many owner complaints, so an OEM brake job should not be punishingly expensive.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 13:23

Eco display Eco display
On my 25000 mile service they said that front pads were 25% worn and rear 95%.

I had to have new rear pads fitted at 100.

The service manager could only say that it must be how I drove when I said that something wasn't right. I argued that the only way my driving could cause it was if I went everywhere with my handbrake on.

I will be using a different dealer for my future servicing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 15:15
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbajob View Post
On my 25000 mile service they said that front pads were 25% worn and rear 95%.

I had to have new rear pads fitted at 100.

The service manager could only say that it must be how I drove when I said that something wasn't right. I argued that the only way my driving could cause it was if I went everywhere with my handbrake on.

I will be using a different dealer for my future servicing.
Is this coming a problem ? Anyone else had this ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 19:17
Supporter

Car: 2012 CIVIC 2.2 I-DTEC SE
Had my car serviced a few weeks ago at 31k miles and they said front and rear pads were 70% worn.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 7th November 2015, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoulban View Post
The rotors and pads on the Civic hatch are soft and wear quickly. I understand that this is to comply with European rules regarding brake performance in cold and icy conditions. In Australia, you can replace the OEM rotors with Protec and aftermarket pads. The result is not much brake dust and much longer brake life.

Honda Australia have now take 60% off the parts cost form pads and rotors due to many owner complaints, so an OEM brake job should not be punishingly expensive.
Do you have a link to Protec pads? Or any aftermarket ones?

I have been to many store, all of them are out of stock. There are front ones from Bendix on eBay though.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page