Tyre Pressure Tyre deflation warning system initialization - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th March 2016, 18:31 Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Tourer 1.8 ivtec, Blue
Garage
Question Tyre deflation warning system initialization

Yesterday afternoon, while driving, system informed me that something maybe wrong with tyre pressure. Visually it looked ok, so I continued to my home.

But in the evening I checked each tyre and one was in fact too low, so I pumped it up.

I checked it in the morning and it looked fine. I checked it once again today after work and still looks fine. So I'll keep monitoring it to see how fast it will loose pressure.

But the question is ... what to do with system's warning? As I read in the manual and in several threads on that forum - I need to reset the warning by initializing calibration.
I know what to click but I'm worried by one thing - in the manual (and in one thread on the forum it was also mentioned) it says that after reseting I need to drive a car for a longer period of time with higher speed (according to my Polish manual - about 30 minutes of driving with speed between 50 and 100 km/h).

But my commute is shorter and mostly with lower speeds. So what in such case? What will happen if I start the calibration but I will not have a proper distance driven?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th March 2016, 18:34
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
If you've just had to pump it up then it may not need recalibrating.

If it does, then it does take about 15 miles to finish calibration. Never heard of any speed requirements though.
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th March 2016, 18:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
I think it needs recalibration as the warning is still visible although all wheels have the same pressure now (pressing info button on the steering wheel just hides it, but it's still active).

Still my commute is about 10 miles, half of which is stop-&-go city traffic. So I believe that I will have to wait 'till I'll be going somewhere further (probably on the weekend).

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th March 2016, 18:51
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
You're probably right. My commute used to be an almost non stop 20 miles so when I had a new tyre it was easy.
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th March 2016, 20:33
POWER!!

Car: 2015 1.6 I-DTEC Civic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger View Post
I think it needs recalibration as the warning is still visible although all wheels have the same pressure now (pressing info button on the steering wheel just hides it, but it's still active).

Still my commute is about 10 miles, half of which is stop-&-go city traffic. So I believe that I will have to wait 'till I'll be going somewhere further (probably on the weekend).
I had this after changing my tyres to. Despite running the calibration multiple times and driving to and from my office, the warning would always come back.

Wasn't until I drove 25-30 miles for work stuff that it finally stopped nagging me.

Never read anything about speed requirements either.
Thanks to EvilCupCake from:
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th March 2016, 21:11
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Have reset after putting air into tyres with no problems or subsequent warnings. Just says reset after pumping tyres up in manual, nothing about speed or distance.
Thanks to Red Dwarf from:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th March 2016, 21:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Thanks guys for answers.

So I think that tomorrow I'll give it a try and reset before going to work. If it doesn't reset properly then I'll just wait until I'll be doing some longer trip.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 7th March 2016, 21:27

Car: 2014 Tourer 1.6i-dtec EX+
Works fine for me after switching for winter wheels and resetting the system with a 10mi trip.
Thanks to Swede from:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th March 2016, 17:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Just checked today. I pressed reset in the morning before going to work and it seems that even my short commute was enough (warning doesn't appear anymore).

Thanks again for all suggestions.
Thank You to Slinger from 2 Users:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 8th March 2016, 17:54
POWER!!

Car: 2015 1.6 I-DTEC Civic
Garage
Glad you got it sorted in the end! Thanks for the feedback about the short trip though. I was convinced it needed a longer run.

Will save me fuel next time
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th March 2016, 09:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Small update.
It seems that my short commute might not work after all.

Today while driving to work I got again low tyre pressure warning. However a few minutes ago I went to the car to check the pressure and all wheels are similar (ranging 2.4 atm - 2.5 atm [35.3 psi - 36.7 psi]. I believe that such difference in pressure shouldn't be noticed by the system. Especially that before when I was first served with that communicate three wheels had around 2.5 and one had 2.0 (29.4 psi) - so the difference was significant.

Perhaps my commute is too short and system was trying to figure out what is going on for these few days but eventually recalibration failed and I got warning again ... ?

On the weekend I'll be doing some longer trip, so I'll try to reset it once more and we'll see if that helps.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th March 2016, 11:37
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,010 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Set the pressure to what is shown on the door jam and go for a drive down the motor way.
Thanks to Grayfox from:
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th March 2016, 11:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
Set the pressure to what is shown on the door jam and go for a drive down the motor way.
As the system calculates the difference in rotation speed between the wheels then pressure value itself is not important as long as all wheels are the same and have the value that was initialiy set during calibration.

And the door jam shows 2.3 atm for empty car and 2.7 atm for fully loaded car. So in the factory (or dealership) they pumped all wheels to 2.5 atm - the middle value. It should be fine I guess, so I'm not changing it.

I was rather wondering if my short commute with city traffic will be enough to reset the settings after I had a problem with one tyre. But now I see that it rather requires longer motor way driving (which I'll be doing on the weekend - till then I'll just live with the orange light on the dash ).
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11th March 2016, 11:55
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,010 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
When I set it I drove about 10km and never had an issue.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th March 2016, 05:59

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
Tyre deflation warning system initialization

A while back i had the low tyre pressure light turn on for the first time since I had the car. Would inflate all tyres to the recommended PSI but the low pressure light would come back 2 - 3 weeks later. Could not see any nails, screws etc in the 4 tyre treads.
Over the coming weeks I ignored the low pressure warning thinking it was faulty. Eventually, it turns out i did have a very small nail embedded in the tyre that the tyre place trying to find the source of the leak took over an hour doing so. So it appears very small differences in tyre pressure for one tyre can cause rotational differences which the system can detect. I don't think that you need to drive the car any long distances to calibrate the system after initialisation, just a short distance will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vti07; 13th March 2016 at 06:05.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th March 2016, 06:17
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
It probably just needs a mix of road types. Straight to bendy etc.

It is a very sensitive system though. Shame it can't tell you which of the 4 tyres it thinks has a problem.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th March 2016, 18:48
Veedub

Car: 2065 White Orchid SR
Garage
Just a reminder........................

Hope this helps... Inflate your tyres to the correct pressure then:-
  • Ignition on (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
  • Press Menu
  • Use the volume buttons + and - to scroll through the menu
  • Select by pressing SOURCE
  • Select CUSTOMIZE SETTINGS
  • Select DEFLATION WARNING SYSTEM
  • Select Yes
  • New tyre pressures will be stored
This should be completed after every adjustment of tyre pressures to ensure that it is stored effectively
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 9th June 2016, 22:43

I am currently having an issue with mine. I keep resetting it, but it keeps going off every 40-50 miles. It has been in the garage and they've been over every tyre and can't find a puncture or damage. There doesn't seem to be pressure issues or any drops in pressures. Has anyone ever known it develop a fault?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 9th June 2016, 22:45

Has anyone ever known it develop a fault? Mine has gone off every 40-50 miles this week. There have been no pressure drops and a garage has checked every single tyre and can't find a puncture or damage. Any ideas?

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page