Tyre Choice Space Saver / Sealant Kit - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st March 2016, 22:47 Thread Starter

Space Saver / Sealant Kit

Just got my new tourer and no space saver!

Looking at a couple options :

Sealant kit Ring RTK1 Emergency Car Tyre Compressor and Sealant Repair Kit | eBay

I guess you would still need a jack to be able to rotate the wheel and spread the sealant.... I know these things get a bad rep are they all as bad as each other ?

The other option is a space saver, I have the 18" Nitrogen alloys on a 2015 Facelift Model and have no idea what is the correct space saver for this, can someone link me ?

Considering maybe having both as a worst case scenario at the moment! If I could be confident in a sealant kit I would just get that and use the storage space for a jack and other stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st March 2016, 23:11

Car: 2014 1.8 i-VTEC SE Plus
Are you sure you didn't get sealant and an air compressor? I have a 2014 hatchback (not tourer) and I got these - can't believe they'd stop doing this with the 2015 model.

Mine is in a small case Velcroed to the left side of the boot - near the left-rear tyre.

Of course not having a jack isn't very useful and using sealant is a last ditch option imo so I bought a spacesaver and jack. Spacesaver is about 120 quid...

Space Saver Wheels : Buy Genuine Honda Parts, Honda Car Parts & Honda Spare Parts Online

We really need to start a jack thread in Tools & Accessories - this question seems to creep up on a monthly basis...

Last edited by hondayonder; 21st March 2016 at 23:14.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st March 2016, 23:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The boot was completely empty... (I bought the car 2nd hand)

Is it in a hidden compartment or in plain view in the boot ?

Strange how one spacesaver is suitable for 16-19" wheels, wouldnt this cause the car to pull badly to one side?

Was also looking at a repair kit CAR VAN Motorcycle TYRE TUBELESS PUNCTURE REPAIR KIT, EMERGENCY TIRE KIT #4 | eBay

worth the gamble ?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st March 2016, 23:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Looking at it I can get another Alloy for 20 more and put a cheapo budget tyre on it....

Genuine Honda Civic 18 Nitrogen Alloy Wheel [08W18TV0600C] - £140.14 : Buy Genuine Honda Parts, Honda Car Parts & Honda Spare Parts Online

Question is would this fit in the compartment under the boot ?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st March 2016, 23:41

If you get a 5th alloy, you'll need a tyre to go on it. This will cost more - you might be looking at 200 quid including fitting.

A full size tyre won't fit in the boot well. My space saver fits perfectly though. I know what you mean though - I thought about getting a full size tyre too, but I thought the extra size and weight was a big negative, given that you have to lug it about 100% of the time, but only use it rarely. A spare alloy would be handy in case you scuffed one though.

Here's a picture of the sealant and compressor case in my hatchback - it's on the left-side of the boot, circled in red...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byk...ew?usp=sharing

I think you are not meant to exceed 40mph with a spacesaver, so it's only a temp measure until you get the proper tyre back on. I really don't like the sealant as (from what I've read) you end up destroying the tyre. A couple of punctures and it's cost you as much as a spacesaver.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2016, 00:02
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.8 Sport Orchid White
My last car was a Jazz and I bought a full size alloy wheel which fitted under the floor .Within 6 weeks I had an incident where I caught the kerb while avoiding an emergency vehicle and ripped a hole in the sidewall of the front tyre. Was I glad I had a spare wheel as obviously the repair kit wouldn't work in this situation. The car I had before the Jazz I had for 10 years and never used the spare, I also never used the spare again with the Jazz in the 3 years I kept it.
So when I bought my Civic 8 weeks ago I negotiated a space saver as part of the deal, and wouldn't be without a spare wheel.
I believe a full size wheel won't fit under the floor in a Civic.
I think you will find that you need a 16" spacesaver, and you will find the overall diameter is the same as your wheels- the tyre is a higher profile, so the car won't be leaning over.
There is a 50mph limit with the spacesaver, so it's only a temporary measure.
I have been told that if you use the repair foam to repair your puncture, some tyre places can't or won't repair the puncture so it means a new tyre.
I hope this helps, but I haven't got a Tourer so you may need to check on the spacesaver size.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2016, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ericay View Post
I hope this helps, but I haven't got a Tourer so you may need to check on the spacesaver size.
That link I posted is for a 2014 or later Tourer - check if this matches your model Revolt.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2016, 07:55

Car: 2015 Tourer 1.8 ivtec, Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolt View Post
The boot was completely empty... (I bought the car 2nd hand)

Is it in a hidden compartment or in plain view in the boot ?

Strange how one spacesaver is suitable for 16-19" wheels, wouldnt this cause the car to pull badly to one side?
The bigger wheel the lower tyre profile (in case of oem wheels) so the overall diameter is nearly the same, so there won't be much difference in driving.

And the official size of the spacesaver for Tourer is 135/80 D16 (as stated in car's manual). Fits perfectly to that bigger compartment under boot's floor (you can check my thread: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/wheels-...el-tourer.html and couple of other threads also). The full alloy wheel rather won't fit as the compartment is flat, so only thin spacesaver fits there.

And in case of Tourer there is a second compartment (narrow one - just at the beginning of the boot [2]) where you have a place for accessories (like wheel repair kit, jack etc.). So you can check there - you should have a repair kit as it was a standard on that car (or maybe previous owner took it). But you probably won't have a jack as this is optional equipment.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 20th April 2016, 23:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Can someone recommend me a jack to use? dont want to just buy the cheapest grab going and have a disaster !

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page