Suspension How to restore ride quality of car? - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By anthropolyte

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 20th June 2016, 14:26 Thread Starter

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
How to restore ride quality of car?

Hi all,

Have driven about 88,000 kms so far in my 9G (some of it hard driving - increased wear and tear which is understandable). Have noticed that the ride quality is fairly harsh now, almost bordering on uncomfortable; much like if you fitted heavy large aftermarket wheels and the suspension cannot soak up the bumps (it thumps over speed humps) and you feel the smallest road imperfections in the car. Seems like the shock absorbers are weak. Wheels are stock 16" and tyre pressures are at minimal recommended PSI, higher PSI worsens the problem.

In my previous 8th gen saloon I had the same issue around a similar mileage but replacing the shock absorbers didn't make noticeable difference (maybe the shop didn't replace the shocks and lied to me?) Are there any other suspension components (OEM) which I should look at to get replaced, repaired to restore the "as new" ride quality? eg. bushes,
springs etc?

The car is under extended factory warranty so I may be able to get some of this work done without charge.

I intend to keep my 9G for a while longer yet so would like to get this issue sorted
out if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 20th June 2016, 16:10
Supporter

Car: 2008 Type R FN2, NHB
Bushes and shocks would be my first port of call - but to be honest, 88k km is not that much, so I'm surprised it's feeling harsh.

Getting the geometry of the car checked (alignment) is probably also a good idea, as it may have "drifted" over time.

Finally, when you last replaced the tyres, did you go for a different load rating to the previous ones? Stiffer sidewalls can have a remarkable effect on ride quality.
Farqui likes this.
Thanks to anthropolyte from:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2016, 23:55
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,010 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Tire Pressures.
One overlooked area of ride comfort, but tire pressures play a large role in it
Lower pressures make the car tires more spongy so they improve comfort, but at the expense of wear and fuel economy

Side wall height,
This one is obvious, the large the sidewall height the more comfortable the ride will be.

As for your extended warranty.
Honda wont cover leaking shocks, worn springs

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 24th June 2016, 07:26
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
All the replies are sounds advice.

What tyre sidewall rating are you using?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 24th June 2016, 13:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
91 load rating and V speed rating as per tyre placard. The tyres I have are touring tyres designed for comfort.

http://www.stgeorgetyres.com.au/tyre...ct-detail.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th June 2016, 20:05
Supporter

Car: 18 Civic Sport Raylle Red
If I remember correctly I am sure I read that the bushes on the 9th Gen are filled with a gel to improve ride quality,maybe there is a issue there?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 23:42

Garage
Hi
Your issue with harsh suspension sounds very similar to the faults on my 8th gen civic. I too changed the rear shocks but it didn't make a lot of difference. Rear is worse than the front. I said I wouldn't have another Honda because the ride is so bad on bumpy roads and there's lots of them. But on smooth roads because of the stiff suspension it's a pleasure to drive, but I've given in and bought a 2016 tourer(pick it up next week). So I'm disappointed to here that the 9th gen could go the same way. I don't think there are many out there that could diagnose the fault unless they experience it themselves. Hopefully Honda will improve there one weak area one day. If anyone has cured such a fault I would be interested to hear.
Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 10:03

Car: 2013 1.6 idetec ES. White
You'll hardl cure it.The biggest problem on my old 8g was the "notching" that occurred in rear tyres. Tyres were inevitably distorted by about 3\4 way through service life.New rear tyres will work.I've a st of Bridgestones on back nearing wear limut and thry're horrendous on my present 1.6 9th gen. I'll know next week when I move my 1/2 worn Pirelis to back.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 17th April 2017, 18:38
GT3
Supporter

Dampers could be at the end of their life on 88k, depending on how and where the car has been driven.

What is the load rating of your tyres? Reducing the load rating from 92Y to 88Y improves ride quality on the FN2 for example. Tyre pressures also have a dramatic effect on comfort.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Brakes (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page